Too Far Gone! I Mean It!
When I came across this dresser on Facebook marketplace I instantly recognized that it was a cool mid century modern dresser made my Stanley furniture but had no legs and had a "new" paint job and new knobs. I wanted to make this a cool modern dresser again and I knew it was going to be a lot of work. But wasn't ready for what was in store.
It was painted white the original black stainless steel caps under the knobs were spray painted with pink glitter and the knobs were changed out as well. That was the least of my problems at this point. I knew it was time to strip the white paint first.
I used citristrip as usual and as I applied the paint started to come off nicely. When I started scraping it off however, another layer of white paint emerged.....This second layer was very hard to remove! Like very hard. Lots! Plenty! Applied stripper then scraped then stripper and scraped. I think the top and the drawers had to be stripped 3-4 times before I could start sanding. At this point I regretted starting on it and purchasing the dresser all together. But I was too far into the project to stop. So kept going
Once the top was done I sanded it and wanted to see if how it would react to stain. Eventhough I sanded the piece with 120, 220, 320 grit once I applied the stain there were still some spots where the white paint was peeking through between the grains of the wood. I wanted to cry! Maybe I did! Slept on it and decided to carry on because well you know I was too far gone!
At this point it was clear to me that I won't be stripping and sanding the sides, so I got some black latex paint and applied it on the sides and between the drawers in the middle. Once I sanded the drawers it had some issues 1, Had the same white paint peeking through 2, I sanded too hard and stripped the veneer in order to get rid of that same white paint! So I strategically placed white, black and gold paint to cover these areas. To create the design I used Frogtape to achieve the clean sharp lines. I ordered new brass knobs and stripped off the pink glittery spray paint (that came off super easy Thank God) from the metal caps. The caps were spray painted black. Since the dresser had no legs I ordered some 8 inch hairpin legs from Amazon to "elevate" the dresser and raise it to "new heights" With a new modern look! Also pretty easy to install!
At the end I applied a polyurethane cleaner coat on the top and the drawers. It came out very nice at the and and proud of the finished product. If you like this transformation and want to see more follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai
Resources for this project:See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Published February 12th, 2020 2:16 PM
2 of 108 comments