A DIY Stair Runner Using IKEA Rugs

$150
1 Day

After giving our side entryway a small makeover, it was time to tackle the stairs. Enter: a DIY stair runner using IKEA rugs!
Here is the space to help jog your memory:
a diy stair runner using ikea rugs, diy, flooring, how to, stairs, reupholster
This is the main part of the staircase where our tenant walks up and down everyday. It had some cheap carpet thrown down as a runner,.
And the second part of the staircase, leading up to the main floor, had nada.
I knew I wanted a new runner on there - one that was darker in colour so it would help hide the dirt (tenant walks up + down in outdoor shoes), but that still had a bit of style. I went to IKEA to see what they had, and came across the "soften" rug. It's a small, flatwoven rug that happened to have the perfect width for our stairs. At $25 a pop, it wasn't a super cheap option, but I couldn't find anything else that was in the right colour scheme or size. We had measured out our staircase before coming, and so calculated that we would need 5 of them to do the job.
The first step was to rip up the existing runner, and then give the stairs a coat of paint. I went for a high gloss white that would be super durable, and only had to paint the side of the treads and risers.
Then it was time to break out the rugs, some scissors, a ruler, and my staple gun. I lined up the rug at the top of the stairs and measured out the space on either side to ensure it was even. Once I knew that number, I went and made little marks on both sides of each step, as a guideline to follow when my rug got to that step.
There is a bit of a science to stapling them correctly, which I go over in detail in the full tutorial here. Then you can check out exactly how they turned out!

• Rug  (Ikea)
  • Paint  (hardware store)

The Sweetest Digs

• Joan Scobee

Fyi when I did my stairs I used carpet tape on the back of the step where the carpet goes down to the next step and then staple this. Stops the slipping of the runner and the tacks do not pull with movement of the runner.Place tape in any other place that can't be seen to secure the runner.

• Hildegarde

I fell down a set of stairs which had a runner, my high heel caught on it and down I went. Since then I have a fear of runners or carpet on stairs but since you have no fear, your work is very good, chapeau for very professional work. I would love to know what the other 'tenants' have to say about it.