How to Grow a Mint Plant From Cuttings

I have three plants from the mint family growing in my garden: spearmint, peppermint. and lemon balm.
I grow them mainly for tea, but I also add spearmint to salads. My tea is very simple... Boiling water, a sprig of mint, and half a teaspoon of honey. No tea bag.
Mint is a very simple plant to grow. You can get a small plant at your local plant nursery, but today I wanted to show you how simple it is to grow a mint plant from cuttings. So if you know of someone that has mint in their garden, or if you come across a mint plant somewhere all you have to do is grab a couple of sprigs and you are on your way to haveing your own mint plant. I'll show you how.
Mint grows best in rich soil that is high in organic matter. Mint loves a moist environment, however, the soil has to have good drainage.
You can plant mint in full sun or a partially shady location in the garden. All types of mint spread vigorously, so make sure to give them enough room or simply plant them in containers.
In fact, it might be a good idea to plant your mint in a container even if you have enough room for it in the garden so you can move it indoors in the winter.
I am gardening in zone 7B, and as you can see, my mint is planted in the garden. I start to cover it with dry leaves in the fall.
Mint actually love the cooler temperatures (50 - 60 F), but as the temperatures drop, I keep piling the dry leaves on the plants. At the end of the winter, they look pretty bad and I usually wonder if they are going to be able to recover, but they always do.
If you plant your mint in a pot, you can easily move it indoors in the winter and place it by a sunny window. It will keep growing just fine and you'll get fresh mint year around. Learn more about indoor herb gardening here.
So now let's see how you can easily start your own mint plant...
How to Grow a Mint Plant from Cuttings (also called propagating mint)
1. Cut a sprig of mint - Find a nice looking mint plant. It doesn't matter if it grows inside or outside or if it grows in the ground or in a pot. You are just looking for a healthy, green, vibrant plant.
Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut a sprig of new growth, about 4 inches long...
2. Clean lower leaves - clean the lower leaves from the sprig so you are left with an inch of bare stem. Use the leaves you removed to make a hot or cold cup of tea!
3. Place cuttings in water - place your mint cuttings in water on the kitchen counter or another well-lit location in your house, a window sill will work great.
I usually have this glass of water on the kitchen counter to use for tea. I prefer keeping the plants alive like that than storing them in the refrigerator.
If you ever bought mint at the store in one of those flat plastic containers and placed the container in the fridge, you probably noticed that the mint turns black pretty quickly. It's because it doesn't like the low temperatures. It's much better to take it out of the container and place the sprigs in a glass of water instead. They might even root for you.
4. Change the water - change the water every couple of days to keep things fresh. You'll start seeing roots in just a few days (usually around 5 - 7 days).
Head over to Lady Lee's Home to view the rest of this easy tutorial.

Lee @ Lady Lee's Home

• Jeannie Carle

Will someone please tell me if this is "peppermint"? I'm HIGHLY allergic to that, but I believe there are other "mints' and I hear that the plants deter mosquitoes, I have a "sitting area" with a picnic table in my yard that we can't use evenings in summer, sooooo if this is not "peppermint" - maybe I could plant some?

• Denise Fox

I just saw this article I know it has been a few years but I love Mint any kind will do. I planted a pot with some Petunias and it is been just lovely this year. My question is can I bring this into a garage this winter and will it come back in the same pot?

• Katherine Goebel Summers

Yes the mint will come back if you over winter it in the garage. Just make sure to water it a bit during the winter. I just leave my mint in the pot on my deck and do nothing at all to it in the winter. It comes back fine every Spring.

• Christine Heuvel

cilantro? You do this with celantro?