Patricia B
Patricia B
  • Morristown, TN
Asked on Mar 8, 2012

how do you get rid of gnats they have invaded my house

Ronda Halvorsen-fernsPatricia B3po3
+7

• 3po3

The key is cleaning up water and food. Thoroughly wipe down all your counters and kitchen surfaces with vinegar or bleach, and put away all food. Also make sure to avoid water around sink drains, etc. That might mean wiping out the sink after every use. There are also some simple home-remedy traps you can use to get rid of them: try a bowl of vinegar covered with plastic wrap. Poke holes in the wrap, and the gnats will fly in but can't get out. You'll wake up to a bowl full of gnats. Another option: put a few drops of dishwasher soap in water, and they won't be able to fly away. I have had a couple of gnat infestations, but two or three nights of vinegar traps have cleared up the problem.

• Miriam I

This post offers some great info that may help you too: http://www.hometalk.com/activity/82450

• Keller Pest Control

The best way is first to identify type and that will tell you where to look for the source of the problem. That is the best way to solve long term. The usual suspects are Fungus Gnats, Fruit Flies and drain Flies There are details on our Website ww.kellerpest.com then go to pest library.If fungus gnats they come from indoor plants ofr wet areas,windows leaf clutter doors that aren't sealed. Check plants indor to see if they are watered properly,too much then dry is very common issue.The gnats will breed in the soil. Drain flies clean out the drains especially around the rubber in garbage disposal. Fruit flies look for old fruit and empty all garbage cans and rinse them out Any aerosol spray will knock down adults. But the problem will return.

• Janice G

I use an old remedy= A bowl of apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dishwashing detergent added. The gnats go for the vinegar, get trapped by the dishwashing fluid and drown.....

• Patricia B

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Patricia B

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. I caught a lot on fly tape last night but still have them flying around I have also been using vinegar and caught some there. Still trying to get rid of them.

• Patricia B

• 3po3

Are you still having the same problem? My gnat problems have always gone away after a few days of trapping and thorough cleaning. Have you wiped down all your surfaces, sinks, etc. with vinegar?

• Patricia B

Thanks as of today they are almost gone the sticky fly tape has worked wonders. Bet I've caught millions. Thanks everyone for your help. ; )

• Ronda Halvorsen-ferns

I use yellow sticky traps everyroom that way i can monitor them also to kill the larvae get gnatrol, its a little spendy but wiped out my greenhouse infestation after 2 weeks! I spray adults with a little soap, ammonia, grapeseed oil and water.