Repurposed Shutter Planter Boxes

I have a thing for shutters...doesn't everyone!? I pick them up at yard sales & flea markets whenever I see them even if I don't have a specific project in mind...I used a few from my stash to build (with a little help from my husband) some planter/anything boxes ~
A simple little project using shutters and fence pickets ~
The side pieces were cut the same height as the short sides of the shutter and the bottom piece was cut to fit between them...no rough edges on the sides and the seams end up on the bottom ~
We (my husband) used a nail gun to attach it all together...quick & easy!
These went together so quickly we may have got a little carried away making them...
All decked out for spring ~
Rustic shutter planter / anything boxes ~

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden/

• Barbara

I do love shutters! I love your window box, very clever idea! I hate the idea of investing in a nail gun and compressor though, any ideas how I can achieve the same without these tools?

• Ginny Lewis

@Barbara You could use small paneling nails and a hammer. or just get a glue gun. Good luck and have fun!

• Ambachmann

You can purchase an electric 3in1 brad nailer/stapler for about $20 at Harbor Freight Tools. I use mine constantly, works great!

• Barbara

@Ambachmann I looked at Harbor Freight Tools online and I can't find the 3in1 brad nailer/stapler you refer to. Do you have the name of the product manufacturer? I've been wanting one, but won't spend the $200 to get the air compressor for the air type tool.

• Ambachmann

It's Chicago Electric item 93749 at harborfreight.com. Love mine!

• Ambachmann

It will also come up if you google it. Good luck.

• Barbara

THANK YOU! I found it and it's in my cart and I pinned it on Pinterest so others could find it easily for small jobs. Been wanting one for a long time to use with DIY projects but wasn't going to part with $$ for a compressor!

• Ambachmann

Your welcome. Once you buy it, you can get any of the various sized staples it holds at Wal-Mart or home depot. That's where I have found the best prices.

• Kaioverbeck

Does the dirt fall thu the shutter openings?

• Eva1275808

You could line the insides of the box with plastic or landscape fabric. Just make sure you have drainage holes in the bottom.

• Cheryl Gyles

You could also just put in potted plants and make it easily interchangeable.

• 9530106

Definitely more of a cache planter box, so to speak. So cute!

• Priscilla

If the shutters are the size big enough to hide a flower box that would work keeping the dirt in ,but I would do the answer of lining with land scape fabric , I use this to line the coconut , liners

• Dell

Too cute. I would use them in the house on the wall or table.

• Leemac

You could staple weed blocker fabric to the inside to keep the dirt from coming out the slats.

• Carol D

Now I know what I can do with the 8 pair of shutters I have kept after I removed them from the windows. Now a question...what to do with the 6 pair of big shutters I removed from the outside of the windows?

• Diana Wearing

@Carol D You could use them to make a screen, room divider, table, bench...lots of ways to repurpose :)

• Mollee Kauzlarich

I've seen tall column planters or fern stands made from bigger shutters. They look nice flanking the door on a porch.

• Wla4520738

You can get decorative hooks and hang necklaces and bracelets on them.

• Tonna

These are so pretty! I just love the way they look with your plants, flowers...anything...great job! Thank you to you and your husband for sharing...😊 Tonna Chavez Ott

• Chris Keating-Ingelse

I used to have a boat load of shutters, that were all left behind in one of our many moves. I love these boxes, so I guess I'll have to go shutter hunting again! Thanks for the inspiration!