DIY French Style Seat Made From Two Old Chairs

I created this piece for the I found these two Louis style chairs and turned them into a French style sofa/seat by adding some mdf board and re-upholstering it all. I loved the shape of the chairs and did not want them covered (even though that was initially the plan). I am glad I stuck with the original features and refreshed them a little.
Here is the before picture of the chairs - scratched and broken
I removed the fabric and batting and fixed the two seats together by adding a few pieces of wood to the back of the legs and fixed them in place with some screws.
To bring the chairs together visually - I added an mdf board to the back in the shape, painted it all using chalk paint. I added the foam on the backs of the chair. I re-used the old wooden seats as a base and created a brand new seat from mdf board, put foam on and upholstered it. It was then glued in place
I added a moulding to give it the extra glamourous French look I was after!
I added some double welting for the accents and to bring the whole look together.
#

From Evija with Love

• Senior Chief

How did you attach the MDF to the back, screws or glue & finishing nails? Also, I noticed in the first picture of the back it went all the way across to the outside edges of the chair back frames. The final picture appears to be open at both lower outside edges. Did you change it?
    Absolutely love this piece!! The added back truly makes it more than 2 chairs linked together. 👏
    • SarahAkers

Honey, this turned out to be a beautiful piece! You made this pop! Well done and the presentation was perfect ! I wonder how this would look if the seat

was done in a dark blue with those pillows the way they are? I think you have a Winner!!!!

• Carol

What is midfield board ?

• Teresa

Beautiful! Where did you find your fabric? It’s beautiful!

• From Evija with Love

Thank you so much ! I got it a while ago but if you search “toile de jouy fabric” you should get some options

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan

I love the elegance of French Country decor! This project is just beautiful! The toile fabric and attention to the detail of the chairs is superb. Great job!

• Kimber

Yay! I've been looking for a way to do this with the two old chairs in my living room! You have seriously inspired me! I think I can really do this one!