DIY French Style Seat Made From Two Old Chairs

I created this piece for the I found these two Louis style chairs and turned them into a French style sofa/seat by adding some mdf board and re-upholstering it all. I loved the shape of the chairs and did not want them covered (even though that was initially the plan). I am glad I stuck with the original features and refreshed them a little.
diy french style seat made from two old chairs, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
Here is the before picture of the chairs - scratched and broken
I removed the fabric and batting and fixed the two seats together by adding a few pieces of wood to the back of the legs and fixed them in place with some screws.
To bring the chairs together visually - I added an mdf board to the back in the shape, painted it all using chalk paint. I added the foam on the backs of the chair. I re-used the old wooden seats as a base and created a brand new seat from mdf board, put foam on and upholstered it. It was then glued in place
I added a moulding to give it the extra glamourous French look I was after!
I added some double welting for the accents and to bring the whole look together.
#
From Evija with Love

• Donna

Where did you find the beautiful floral molding?

• Lenore Grue Shepherd

First of all, Drop. Dead. Gorgeous! Amazing transformation. One question: Did you cut out the MDF backing at the base of the chair backs, or is that just shading? Either way it looks fabulous!

• From Evija with Love

Thank you, I cut the shape to cover the whole back, one big piece which I painted the same colour.

Your settee is beautiful! What is MDF board? Thanks

• 9530106

MDF stands for medium density fiberboard. :)

• Angie Piraino

Where can this board be purchased ?

• From Evija with Love

Hi Angie , mdf board you can purchase in any diy/home store or builders merchant they are sold as sheets . Just ask someone to guide you in the right direction, there are different thicknesses so make sure you get the one that is right for your project ! Good luck!

• Flower

Wear a face mask when cutting MDF, fibres are serious health hazard if inhaled.

The sofa looks great... wish I had room!

• Jacx

MDF is made from wood glue and saw dust. It's about 2 to 3 times heavier than real wood. That's why so much of the furniture these days weights a ton! MDF is also very brittle, no flex. Water can cause serious swelling so always seal it well. It can't take any abuse, when we moved all of the book cases got destroyed, plus most of my husband's furniture from Office Depot got broken. My furniture got so dings but all survived, except forthe delicate frett work on a side table.

The good news is it's inexpensive and smooth. Do always predrill it so it doesn't chip.

• Senior Chief

How did you attach the MDF to the back, screws or glue & finishing nails? Also, I noticed in the first picture of the back it went all the way across to the outside edges of the chair back frames. The final picture appears to be open at both lower outside edges. Did you change it?
    Absolutely love this piece!! The added back truly makes it more than 2 chairs linked together. 👏

• From Evija with Love

Thank you!! I tried to make it into one piece and attached a small piece of wood to connect the two chairs but it didn't quite work the way I had envisaged so I scrapped that idea and left a gap which I think worked in the end. I used screws to attach the backing and then painted over the screws.. you could use the finishing nails as well.

• Jacx

I really like the openings left exposed. Makes it looks more intentional. Very pretty! You did such a great job.

• Lynn Goins

I've seen several versions of this, but I have to say, this is BY FAR my favorite!! I may have to try this!

• SarahAkers

Honey, this turned out to be a beautiful piece! You made this pop! Well done and the presentation was perfect ! I wonder how this would look if the seat

was done in a dark blue with those pillows the way they are? I think you have a Winner!!!!

• Carol

What is midfield board ?

• Teresa

Beautiful! Where did you find your fabric? It’s beautiful!

• From Evija with Love

Thank you so much ! I got it a while ago but if you search “toile de jouy fabric” you should get some options