DIY French Style Seat Made From Two Old Chairs

I created this piece for the I found these two Louis style chairs and turned them into a French style sofa/seat by adding some mdf board and re-upholstering it all. I loved the shape of the chairs and did not want them covered (even though that was initially the plan). I am glad I stuck with the original features and refreshed them a little.
diy french style seat made from two old chairs, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
Here is the before picture of the chairs - scratched and broken
I removed the fabric and batting and fixed the two seats together by adding a few pieces of wood to the back of the legs and fixed them in place with some screws.
To bring the chairs together visually - I added an mdf board to the back in the shape, painted it all using chalk paint. I added the foam on the backs of the chair. I re-used the old wooden seats as a base and created a brand new seat from mdf board, put foam on and upholstered it. It was then glued in place
I added a moulding to give it the extra glamourous French look I was after!
I added some double welting for the accents and to bring the whole look together.
#
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 11:13 PM - More info
From Evija with Love

• Lenore Grue Shepherd

First of all, Drop. Dead. Gorgeous! Amazing transformation. One question: Did you cut out the MDF backing at the base of the chair backs, or is that just shading? Either way it looks fabulous!

• From Evija with Love

Thank you, I cut the shape to cover the whole back, one big piece which I painted the same colour.

Your settee is beautiful! What is MDF board? Thanks

• From Evija with Love

Hi Angie , mdf board you can purchase in any diy/home store or builders merchant they are sold as sheets . Just ask someone to guide you in the right direction, there are different thicknesses so make sure you get the one that is right for your project ! Good luck!

• Loi15809548

How did you attach the MDF to the back, screws or glue & finishing nails? Also, I noticed in the first picture of the back it went all the way across to the outside edges of the chair back frames. The final picture appears to be open at both lower outside edges. Did you change it?
    Absolutely love this piece!! The added back truly makes it more than 2 chairs linked together. 👏

• From Evija with Love

Thank you!! I tried to make it into one piece and attached a small piece of wood to connect the two chairs but it didn't quite work the way I had envisaged so I scrapped that idea and left a gap which I think worked in the end. I used screws to attach the backing and then painted over the screws.. you could use the finishing nails as well.