New Life for an Old Farm Door

65K Views
Antique Farm Door Turned Garden Art/Now Bird Nest
  • new life for an old farm door, doors, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
Checked behind my onions yesterday and found an mommy bird tucked inside one of the slots.
The Small Wooden crate beside the door was removed with several others from 100 + year old chicken coop i salvaged from being turned into an bonfire. Plan on turning them into planters.
I was walking around my local habitat and found this old beaten door in the scrap pile and knew i could find some way to salvage it. The door is very heavy and seems to have been hand made. Looks like something took a bite out of the top corner and the handle was hand carved with pull string for the back side.
Hard to tell prior to cleaning with linseed oil but there are beautiful graphics on the door and looks to have been yellow at one time in areas. It has definitely seen a lot of use.
Next it went to cleaning the door and it turned out amazing. I still need to go over it with an flat poly to preserve it better in the weather.
The photos above are prior to the linseed oil wipe down
You can see areas of yellow paint that were not noticeable prior to cleaning.
The back side is beautiful after cleaning with linseed oil and have very minimal damage
Picked this orange crush crate that some other company had repainted and had their info on the sides. The yellow matched what yellow was on the door so thought it would make a nice shelf and with the compartments i could use it to hold garden tools etc.
Next i went to the center of the door and pre-drilled holes in the crate and door and anchored the crate to the door.
My mother gave me this antique porcelain wash pan to use for an planter a few days prior.
Turned out to be a nice piece of salvaged yard/garden art. And total including crate and door was only $10.

Suggested materials for this project: