Cinco De Mayo Terra Cotta Pot Hats

Cinco de Mayo is always a fun and festive holiday. We wanted to have a few decorations around the house this year so we decided to make these super easy and festive terra cotta sombrero hats!
We started with small terra cotta pots and saucers, paint and glue. I would say this project is super easy. We used three colors of paint, but feel free to use any paint and colors you wish, it's up to you. Use the colors you like and make them your own! If you plan on using them for food, try to find food safe paint.
We painted the pots and saucers with red, yellow and green paint. I took them outside and painted each set a different color. I also painted one set multi-colored for fun, and I like the way the colors ran together.
Once the first coat of paint was dry, we used a foam brush to create fun designs. Green on yellow, yellow on red - making the colors work together the best we could :). Then we glued the pots to the saucers. Simple draw a bead of glue around the rim of the pot, and stick it to the saucer. I used a tube of contact cement, nothing special.
Finally, we tossed some of the new spicy M&M's candies in the sombrero brims -- yum!

• Terra cotta pots  (Walmart)
  • Terra cotta saucers  (Walmart)
  • Paint  (Walmart)

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

• Jo

Get a 10 in saucer and put the 'hat' all the way to the edge of the larger saucer and glue. Then use the larger for chips ? Would give better access.

• Julie Sims

I think, yes, it would, and it would still have the Cinco de Mayo flavor, just not be at "hat?" You know what I mean?

• William Jewell

What if you turned the pot over it wouldn't look like a hat but it would hold more goodies.

• William Jewell

Julie you are correct in suggesting a larger saucer. I did not think you were rude thanks for being concerned. Tricia thank you for your help you are correct it is all about the look.

• Renata

Those r sooo cute, great idea. Do u use the same size saucer that goes with the pot or one size larger?

• Julie Sims

I am using two different saucer sizes just to see which is best for table decoration and I made a big one for my garden!