Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Easiest Way to Clean a Burnt Pot or Pan

$1

I hate doing the dishes...like, REALLY hate it. But there's one thing that makes doing the dishes truly unbearable and that's when food gets burnt to the bottom of a pan. Instead of fighting and scraping the pan til it's spotless, here's my favorite method for cleaning stainless steel pots and pans. All it takes is a few cut up lemons and water. The acid in the lemon and the boiling water get off all the really tough gunk, plus the lemons get rid of any burnt smell and replace it with a sweet citrus scent.
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
Here's a pot that has been burnt to heck. You don't even want to know what I was trying to cook! Let's just say that I needed a super powered cleaner, and a fresh scent would definitely help. Step 1: Chop Up Two Lemons
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
I cut my lemons into eights, but you can cut them into quarters or slices, as long as you end up with enough pieces to cover the bottom of the pan. Step 2: Add Water
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
I added enough water to cover the whole burnt bottom of the pan. It's no use trying to cover the lemons - they float! As long as the burnt area is covered, the lemons will do their job. Step 3: Bring to a Boil
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
I brought the water to a rolling boil. You can even see the burnt specks coming off the bottom of the pot as the lemons swam around. Step 4: Let Water Cool & Dump It Out
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
After I dumped out the lemons and dirty water, I was left with a thin brown layer on the bottom of the pot. All I had to do was scrub it lightly with a brush, and all the leftover grime fell away. Step 5: Rinse out Your Pot
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
A few rinses later, and my crud-caked pot was good as new! Now, wasn't that easier than scrubbing with steel wool til your fingers are raw?
easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan
It's hard to believe, but that really is the same pot! This is one magic trick I will definitely be doing again.

• Fre29652852

My mom taught me to cover the bottom with powder dishwasher soap on the bottom, add hot/boiling water and let soak overnight. It works!! Problem may be to find non-liquid dishwasher soap.

• I just use about a teaspoon of regular dish-washing liquid (Dawn, Palmolive, Sunlight - whatever) in the pot/pan and let it boil for about 15 minutes - it is much gentler on your pots and pans than other suggestions that are acid-based or otherwise corrosive (such as lemon juice). It may not be as effective, but I find it works for all my problem pots and pans. Perhaps you may wish to use this before trying a stronger solution...