Cynthia Landrie
Cynthia Landrie
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Butterfly Feeder Tutorial - Using Dollar Tree Items

This butterfly feeder was not only easy to make, most of the items came from the Dollar Tree or my kitchen. My feeder has not only attracted butterflies, but birds too!
This is a great project for all ages (younger children should be helped with the silicone sealant) I know it will be enjoyed by everyone in your family!
Here is my finished Butterfly Feeder.  It proudly sits between my zinnia and Bee Balm.
Here is my finished Butterfly Feeder. It proudly sits between my zinnia and Bee Balm.
A quick view of what you will need and the process of making this feeder.
Almost finished!
Almost finished!

Cynthia Landrie

• Jean petruzzelli

what kind of glue did you use, I can't find one strong enough to hold anything heaver than a small water glass . thanks

• Ann

I have used GE silicone II for my outdoor glass projects. So far, they have all held up. The problem comes because glass heats up in the sun and expands therefore putting pressure on the glue and popping it off. GE silicone II holds and has a little give avoiding this problem. It is a little more difficult to work with because it does not grab instantly and the marbles can slide. If my work is not completly flat, I usually take a little time with my first rows and let them dry thoroughly. Succeeding rows will usually go in more quickly because the first row stops them from sliding. GE silicone II is actually a caulk for windows and doors and has a lifetime warranty. It's fairly cheap, comes in a tube, and comes in clear. Easily found online if your local stores don't carry it.

• Myra Rodriguez

So elegant and pretty for butterflies to feed on. What jar did you use for the bottom part, and what keeps it from tipping over? What glue did you use?

• Nicolas A Rocha

did u use a clear silicone to glue the glass gems ? i did some candle holders , i tried e6000 but it didnt work , i used hot glue insted but after a few days the glass gems starting to come out , i need a better glue for that project . thanks
  • Lynette Gilmour Crouch

What do you use to feed the butterflies once you’ve made this?

• Mikaela

Butterflies can eat just about anything as long as its dissolved in water. I suggest sugar water but I know that could attract ants. There are some great recipes online for butterfly food though. Also, Sally's idea is a good one

• Jixyrocker711

Stunning looking piece! I love glass on glass projects for outdoors! You can get the glass beads at Dollar Tree, too! I've got to try this! Thanks for the idea!
  • Gianoplayer

as long as you don’t have a question. The author won’t answer your question,