DIY Faux Brick Flower Vase

Since I’m on a home accessory kick from decorating the built in desk of our dreams, I decided to spruce up a plain glass vase that we had laying around our house. This project was so easy and literally took like an hour… and I love it!
I started by cleaning the plain glass vase with Windex. (Such a great action shot)
My husband had the idea to use Pinstripe Tape (like, for a car!) instead of cutting down masking tape into narrow strips. Since not having to cut and measure masking tape sounded AMAZING, I went to Auto Zone. I bought a roll of 1/8″ wide Pinstripe Tape for $2.99. Can’t beat it!
I measured out 1″ wide rows and marked them with a dry erase marker. I stuck the pinstripe tape on the glass, lining it up with my dry erase marks. Then I measured 3″ wide “bricks” and marked those with my dry erase marker. Then stuck the pinstripe tape on to the glass going vertical to make my “bricks”.
This is how it looked when I was done taping. I’m liking it already!
Then I spray painted the vase white. I lined the vase with paper so I didn’t get any spray paint on the inside.
I removed the tape and… ta da! I’ve got some faux bricks on my vase.
I put in some fake flowers (of course, my brown thumb) and called it a day! The tape took a little paint off the edges when I pulled it off, making the edges not so perfect, but I actually don’t mind it. I think it kind of gives the vase a “weathered” look, and adds character. Other than that, the pinstripe tape worked really well!

The Cofran Home

• User

How do you care for it? How do you clean it to keep the paint from coming off?

• Eag27369459

I love the idea and look. Could you paint the vase white and then put on the pinstripe tape and leave it since it is the pinstripe used on cars.
    • I believe that would work. The pin strip would come in silver, gold , black and a few other colors so you project may look more like tile with grout. That would be pretty! Lol

• Christine Mendoza

Good job. When I first saw it, I thought she just cut strips of white tape and positioned them like bricks...that could work too

• Berta Chorro

I definetly will try some of the projects