Upcycled: Old Chest of Drawers to Wine Bar

$0
1 Month

It has been my experience that the road to memorable projects is winding and forked, paved with errors and traveled with missteps. If I had a dollar for every mistake or change of heart, I could afford to hire some other schmuck to do these projects for me while I relax by the pool with a fish taco and a margarita. Then again, what fun would that be…for me or for you?
Please note: this was a long project with a lot of twists and turns. What I'm showing here on Hometalk is just a high-level overview. For the details, the full funny story and tons of pics, please click the link at the end of this post to head over to our blog after reading here on Hometalk.
upcycled old chest of drawers to wine bar, decoupage, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
My latest masterpiece of misadventure is an old chest of drawers upcycled into a wine bar. An old friend gave this piece to me over a year ago, knowing that Handan and I are batty for free furniture.
It sat in the basement for half a year before I got a start on it last October. It is a solid old piece made from good hard maple and covered in a few layers of paint. The first order of business was to test for lead paint. The test was negative, so I was good to go. But at this point, I had no idea where I was going. I decided to start scraping.
I removed the drawers and the top and took a look at the bones. After a time, I decided to hack off a few drawer supports to open up some space inside. It was around this time that I thought the chest of drawers would make a good bar.
I filled in the sides with some 3/4 inch birch plywood and then filled the gaps and cracks with wood filler and spackle.
I fitted the bottoms of the drawers with slides and I started working on a new bar top made from some mahogany I had left over from a previous project.
Things were moving along nicely. It was time to paint. I used Handan's chalk paint recipe to mix up a batch of old white. You can find Handan's homemade chalk paint recipe on our blog.
Handan helped me with a stencil for the bar top. I wired up some lighting and that was that! (Actually, there was so so so much more, both before, during and after!

Here are a few pics of the finished project.
That's it for the highlights. Please head over to the blog post for the full story.

Thanks for reading! -Greg

• Modpodge
  • Paint

Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Marsha

Fabulous!!! One of the best "drink stations" that I've seen! Do you think it's beyond the skills of a rookie, like me? I agree your addition of the light is brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

• Grandmasue10

Stop putting yourself down. Our mistakes are 'learning opportunities' they don't make you a dumb person. Dumb people give up, and you didn't!

• Karla

Its very pretty! You are very, very ingenious!!!! How do you decide when to give wood a high gloss or matte finish? In your wine dresser it looks so exquisite glossy! I have a living room center table (all oak ) that I sanded snd stained, its gorgeous but Im debating wether to leave it just hand waxed or apply a glossy poly ! Im afraid it will look taky?

• Karla

Thank you for taking the time to answer. :) I left it matte and just hand waxed...even though oak ots not that exquisite, this particulat table is and it looks really nice! Thank you for the carnuba tip!!!! Hugs

• Gloria tulip

A lot of good ideas here. Can tell you put considerable time into the project? It is really pretty. Bet you enjoy showing it off. Did you use polyurethane?
  • Sheba92766

I see something like this project & think, "I can do that". The problem I have is I don't think I would have ever looked at a dresser & came up with the idea to make it a bar. That is so smart!