Sitting Pretty- How to Reupholster Dining Room Chair Seat Covers

$50

My dining room chairs were last recovered about 15 years ago, well before kids. Honestly, they are just gross. We eat in our dining room for every meal, so the chairs certainly get used, by all members of the family.
sitting pretty how to reupholster dining room chair seat covers, how to, reupholster
Luckily, this is a great DIY beginner project, and you don't even need a lot of tools to pull it off. This project is a perfect project for the fall time change, since you can use your "extra" hour to get this done.
Start by flipping over one chair and removing the seat cover. Usually it's just 4 screws holding it on.
Remove the old cover if, like me, you can't stand that fabric any longer. I had 2 other layers of fabric underneath, so I didn't have to worry about messing with the foam layer.
Cut your fabric to size, the same shape as the cushion. I love to take an extra minute to protect the fabric with Scotchgard. You know this step is going to pay off big! Yes, I really do lay the fabric in my yard for this step.
Once dry, just a few minutes later, start stapling over the original cushion. I like to work Back...Side...Side...Front. Click through at the bottom to get to the full article and read a few more tips about positioning the fabric.
Once stapled back together, then screw back into the chair frame, and admire. Ah!
Everyone loves the new look!
Be sure to visit my site for insider tips on how to finish those tricky corners. It's not as hard as you might think.

• Fabric  (Fabric store)
  • ScotchGard  (Target)
Darla DeMorrow