Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

How to Paint a Wall: Get Perfectly Straight Lines

$15

Do you watch HGTV and admire their perfectly painted rooms?
Learning how to paint a wall so that it looks awesome is a savvy skill every homeowner would love.
Great paint jobs are especially noticeable when there are two opposing colors next to each other -- like a Halloween orange and earthy neutral.
If you've struggled with how to get straight paint lines between two different colored walls or
Use Frog Tape with Silicone Caulk for straight paint lines
Primer and topcoats have a habit of bleeding through painter's tape
First apply Frog Tape
First apply Frog Tape
Then apply clear silicone caulk between the Frog Tape and wall. This caulk will dry clear but goes on white.
Paint your wall
Paint your wall
Don't let the caulk dry, immediately remove the Frog Tape and caulk after painting
Home Repair Tutor

• Susan N

Hi Home Repair Tutor or Penny: I'm confused and the photos do not help me. I have to paint along what seems like miles of crown molding, baseboards, and door and window molding. I'm planning to use tape to be sure and get a straight edge. Am I supposed to put the tape on first and then put caulk or Mod Podge along the edge I'm painting? Do I put the caulk or MP on first and then the tape and wipe off the extra caulk/MP? Sorry that I don't get this but I want to get the job done properly. HELP!!

• Elaine Simmons

So as not to confuse the Home Repair Guy, it is Mod Podge, not Modge Podge. I know this works well.........when we moved into our home we had painters come in and this is the method they used. Good, clear video!

• Penny

Oooops, sorry for the misspelling. Yes, it is Mod Podge. There is a recipe out there for home made product too. Just google it. Just be careful to match the consistency to the commercial product.