Organize Dry Pantry Items With Ikea Jars and Chalk Markers!

I’m not going to lie to you. It’s an absolute MESS in our baking/spice cabinet.
We have all of this stuff in different wares of tupper and unusually sized containers and it’s been driving me nuts for quite a while. First world problem, I know. But we have THREE containers of cocoa!!! THREE! This is madness. And something must be done immediately.
Enter Ikea’s KORKEN Jar w/lid. Not long ago my sister mentioned she grabbed similar jars of assorted sizes for pantry items at her new pad.
So I STOLE her idea and here I am today making it my own. She can’t really be mad though, I mean she got a pretty sweet industrial pipe shelving unit out of me. Just have to take the good with the bad I guess!
Despite my constant jabs at Ikea and their “meatballs”, they have some pretty great jars. They come with rubber gasket to keep your pantry items air-tight and happy.
While the Ikea jars are 2 legit 2 quit, their markers SUCK for writing directly on glass. Granted, they’re really meant to be used on the Ikea labels, but I want to write directly on the glass. I have needs too, Ikea!
Here’s Ikea’s chalk paint marker…pitiful!
So I grabbed these American Craft permanent chalk markers from Amazon. Here I am practicing on an old mason jar. One problem that I’m running into by writing directly on the glass is legibility. I think doubling the font weight will help with that, but keeping the handwriting nice seems to be an issue.
The problem with trying to double the font weight is that when you go over the dried marker, it removes your previous stroke. It’s like…a nightmare!
I’m done with the word sugar. I’m moving on. It’s just not working out between us. I’m in love with coffee. As a matter of fact, I always have been! But it’s got no ride and still lives with its mom so I need to go pick it up.
I stole some paper from my toddler’s sketchbook to get a makeshift funnel going all up in hea!(up in hea!)
My favorite of the jars looks second worst! I was trying so hard, too! I was being very careful when doubling up on the text, which made this way too rigid. But…
By the time it was cinnamon o’clock, I started to get my act together.
And just when I was finally starting to feel like my old self again, brown SUGAR shows up! I’M CALLING THE COPS!
So at this point I just need to throw down some sans serif sweetness. It’s getting too late! I don’t want to miss my full house reruns tonight!
FINISHED!
Let's get these jars into their new habitat and see how they feel!
I put some cherry wood behind the jars to make them look nicer. I think it worked?
Anyway! This was a fun little weekend project that helped us organize our out of control pantry. Hopefully my sister comes up with another idea I can steal soon! What did you do to organize your kitchen? Do you have a sister I can steal ideas from? Mine may be tired of my nonsense…

• Paula K. Varble

So doesn't this require another storage cabinet to store the original containers that has the rest of the food in them?
    • P

Once you 'enjoy' an infestation of 'flour moths' with razor sharp probiscuses which drill thru even foil packets & paper & plastic film - laying eggs therein, so you have to discard ALL your flour and grain based products - you will always use glass, metal & Tupperware weight containers for everything -and buy the size package that fits into the containers you have & discard all the cardboard packages that harbor their little eggs in the crevices - ditto weevils'! You will also have flour moth traps in your pantry & cabinets at all times. Buying in bulk only to have to throw it out is no savings!

• Vickie Meinen

My problem with jars that have this kind of kid with the rubber gasket is - where can you get new gaskets when these dry out, crack, or otherwise need replacement???

• Vickie Meinen

I know they are available for the standard and wide mouth (canning jar terms) sizes. But not the larger sizes as these appear to be. I'll have to watch closer at Dollar Tree. I'm there a couple times a week and have never seen them., Thanks.

• Dee

They look great. I do this to my jars also. If you are still not happy with some of the writing, I have found if you use rubbing alcohol on the lettering, it will take it off, and then re-do it. SInce they are in your cabinet, I'm sure it is just fine the way it is.

Also, I put the rest of mine, (that want fit in the jar) in the freezer in most cases. Providing, you have room in it.

• Susie Powell

I have used the Sharpie paint pens and I love them. The first one I bought was a fine point. Didnt like it because I couldnt see the words on the Jars.But a medium point was so much better.

• Johanna

wow !!! What a brilliant idea ! You need to get a medal for that