Organize Dry Pantry Items With Ikea Jars and Chalk Markers!

I’m not going to lie to you. It’s an absolute MESS in our baking/spice cabinet.
organize dry pantry items with ikea jars and chalk markers , closet, organizing
We have all of this stuff in different wares of tupper and unusually sized containers and it’s been driving me nuts for quite a while. First world problem, I know. But we have THREE containers of cocoa!!! THREE! This is madness. And something must be done immediately.
Enter Ikea’s KORKEN Jar w/lid. Not long ago my sister mentioned she grabbed similar jars of assorted sizes for pantry items at her new pad.
So I STOLE her idea and here I am today making it my own. She can’t really be mad though, I mean she got a pretty sweet industrial pipe shelving unit out of me. Just have to take the good with the bad I guess!
Despite my constant jabs at Ikea and their “meatballs”, they have some pretty great jars. They come with rubber gasket to keep your pantry items air-tight and happy.
While the Ikea jars are 2 legit 2 quit, their markers SUCK for writing directly on glass. Granted, they’re really meant to be used on the Ikea labels, but I want to write directly on the glass. I have needs too, Ikea!
Here’s Ikea’s chalk paint marker…pitiful!
So I grabbed these American Craft permanent chalk markers from Amazon. Here I am practicing on an old mason jar. One problem that I’m running into by writing directly on the glass is legibility. I think doubling the font weight will help with that, but keeping the handwriting nice seems to be an issue.
The problem with trying to double the font weight is that when you go over the dried marker, it removes your previous stroke. It’s like…a nightmare!
I’m done with the word sugar. I’m moving on. It’s just not working out between us. I’m in love with coffee. As a matter of fact, I always have been! But it’s got no ride and still lives with its mom so I need to go pick it up.
I stole some paper from my toddler’s sketchbook to get a makeshift funnel going all up in hea!(up in hea!)
My favorite of the jars looks second worst! I was trying so hard, too! I was being very careful when doubling up on the text, which made this way too rigid. But…
By the time it was cinnamon o’clock, I started to get my act together.
And just when I was finally starting to feel like my old self again, brown SUGAR shows up! I’M CALLING THE COPS!
So at this point I just need to throw down some sans serif sweetness. It’s getting too late! I don’t want to miss my full house reruns tonight!
FINISHED!
Let's get these jars into their new habitat and see how they feel!
I put some cherry wood behind the jars to make them look nicer. I think it worked?
Anyway! This was a fun little weekend project that helped us organize our out of control pantry. Hopefully my sister comes up with another idea I can steal soon! What did you do to organize your kitchen? Do you have a sister I can steal ideas from? Mine may be tired of my nonsense…
Rick

• Catherine

I need bigger jars to put whole cans of coffee and sugar. Anybody have any ideas for bigger jars?

• Paula K. Varble

So doesn't this require another storage cabinet to store the original containers that has the rest of the food in them?

• Ian B

That has always been my argument, with this or Tupperware etc you buy bulk coffee or flour etc and it doesn’t all fit so you end up with both packages, or you get low so you buy more but don’t want to mix old and new. Then there is the big container for 10 pounds of flour wit three ounces left and takes up all the room. I love the look but the logistics don’t work.

• Vickie Meinen

My problem with jars that have this kind of kid with the rubber gasket is - where can you get new gaskets when these dry out, crack, or otherwise need replacement???

• Shapie makes paint pens that works very well on glass and comes in a multitude of colors

• Susie Powell

I have used the Sharpie paint pens and I love them. The first one I bought was a fine point. Didnt like it because I couldnt see the words on the Jars.But a medium point was so much better.