Tension Rod Shoe Storage

1 Material
$15

Shoe lover? I certainly am, but living in Brooklyn with limited space can sometimes cause chaos in the closet. An easy way to organize your shoes is with some tension rods! Tension rods are honestly a staple in organization these days and this hack is no exception. By simply installing some tension rods in your closet you can rest your shoes in an orderly fashion easily.

If you need to organize your entire closet, join our online workshop, where you'll learn all the techniques to make your closet a sanctuary :)

SUPPLIES: -Tension Rods (As many as needed...)

STEP 1: Take note of how terribly disorganized your closet is so that you can marvel at it when you are done. *This before picture is such a mess. This is also only some of my shoes hehe....

STEP 2: Take a tension rod and fit it to the sides of the closet. I got these tensions rods on Amazon and they worked beautifully. If you have some tension rods lying around your home (they're quite handy), you can just use those.

STEP 3: Take the tension rod out and pull out an extra inch from the size you measured in step 2. Twist the rod into a locked position so that it is nice and sturdy.

STEP 4: Place your tension rod in the closet close to the wall. Repeat steps 2-4 with as many rods as needed.

STEP 5: Now grab some shoes and start stacking them onto the rods. *Because most of my shoes have a nice chunky heel they are able to balance on one rod. If you have more delicate shoes they may have a tendency to fall through the back. If this is the case you can buy the thinner rods and double up. Basically you would place 2 small rods next to each other almost creating a shelf for the shoes to rest on. For heels you can do them slightly offset so the heel rests on the back rod and the toe on the front. For the shoes I was storing all I needed was the standard rods, but I may have to alter it for some of my other shoes.

STEP 6: Take a step back and revel at how much simpler your life just became.

As you can see the heftiness of my shoes made them capable of staying on one rod, but two would certainly give them more stability.

Now I have all this great floor space to store other things... like more shoes :)

I can actually see my options now! Got to love getting organized!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!

• Heather Cooke
    Heather Cooke

I need a place to hang scarves on the back of a door, any ideas?

• MaryRay BK
      MaryRay BK

Wreath hanger

• Silvia
      Silvia

Hang one of those see thru zipped clothes bag, with a scarf holder on the inside.

• Carol Mensch McAlpine
      Carol Mensch McAlpine

I use S hooks on a slatted closet door. Or an over the door hook rack.

• Mpk3291921
      Mpk3291921

Buy a $1.00 store kitchen cooling rack and hook it to your closet door. Good for necklaces, scarves abd belts.

• Shannon LeVan
      Shannon LeVan

Use key rings to hang each scarf and then hook the key rings on a command hook or over the door hanger

• Michelle
      Michelle

I have curtain rods on the back of bedroom door for pants could work for scarves

• Lynn Christopher Beaujon
      Lynn Christopher Beaujon

Men's "behind the door tie rack" works great!

• Doo16220026
      Doo16220026

I take shower curtain hooks and put them on a close hanger. Then just thread my scarves through them. I can hang them on a hook on the back of the door or even in my closet with my clothes.

• Doo16220026
      Doo16220026

* Clothes hanger

• Mikkigirl
      Mikkigirl

I use shower curtain rings on a hanger, with a hook that swivels. Can hang your scarves most anywhere 😊

• Sandee Bishman
      Sandee Bishman

Use command hooks to place a small curtain rod on and place scarves on it, you'll be able to see them or use rings on the rod. Or you could hang a plastic shoe holder on the inside of the door and store many other items as well. Good luck and Happy New Year!!!

• Sandra Ulrich
      Sandra Ulrich

Use a metal wreath form. They have multiple layers so that decorative material can be 'stuffed' in, but instead neatly put your scarves in. I fold the scarf first (short ends together) and put the folded edge into the area so the ends of the scarf show.

• Fran Friedman
      Fran Friedman

Metal shower curtain rings from the dollar store can be used to hang anything from brooms to scarves off of hooks, hangers, towel racks etc. Also hanger clips and binder clips can be used for small items.

• Dianne
      Dianne

One of those pants hangers for 3 or 4 pairs of pants. Each rack swings out for easy selection, and mine is rubber coated, so the scarves don't slip.

• Thalia Verganelis
      Thalia Verganelis

As Dianne wrote above......but.....I use 'fuzzy' pants hangers.....no slipping off !

• Terri
      Terri

Try using document clips. Small for silky scarves and escalate to larger for heavyweight. Thread curtain rods, tension rods whatever through them. Use tissue on the silky ones to prevent a pinch-crease

• Palmer
      Palmer

As Thalia wrote above, those fuzzy hangers work well and one might also find pants hangers that have four fuzzy rods in one large hanger that can hold 4-8 scarves folded on each of the four... Voila!!

• Karen
      Karen

They actually make scarf holders in decorative shapes with holes In them....I have a butterfly and an owl....They are acrylic and can be hung on your closet rod with clothes or by themselves on wall. Cute and inexpensive! Ross for about $5.

• Jen
      Jen

I have an antique coat trees, one for scarves and one for my many purses.

• Tu
      Tu

What about an over the door rack for hanging clothes?

• MAYA
    MAYA

How does gravity not allow the shoes to fall backwards into big messy piles?

• Mommom
      Mommom

They're up against the wall. But as she said, two rods would give them more stability. Nice, inexpensive idea.

• Margaret E
      Margaret E

The rods are placed out from the wall according to the size of the shoes - the heel of the shoes rests against the back of the closet; the toe of the shoe balances on the rod. I.e, one with larger shoes will place the rods further from the wall than a person with tiny little size 6 shoes.

• Edn7589645
      Edn7589645

If the shoe owner prefers to throw their shoes into the closet instead of placing them onto the rods .... then this probably wouldn't work for them

• Liz
      Liz

If they prefer to throw the in, they would have never invested time and money to put the rods up.

• Victoria
    Victoria

Any clever ideas for storing/ hanging belts?

• Sharron
      Sharron

Cup hooks! Or Champlain hooks and they don't mess up your walls.

• Linda
      Linda

You can buy a circular hanger that is open-ended on one side. You can put dozens of belts on it and hang in your closet. Only takes up the space of one hangar! Can get them at walmart, dollar general, etc.

• Dma16156615
      Dma16156615

I used an over the door coat rack for belts and scarves

• Dma16156615
      Dma16156615

• Donna Marie
      Donna Marie

I loop mine over a hanger. Just thread the end through the buckle.

• Melissa
      Melissa

Use an accordion style coat rack that hangs on the wall. Use for scarfs, purses and belts

• Carolyn Mackey
      Carolyn Mackey

Get a wooden hanger and put cup hooks down each shoulder. It should hold up to each 10 down each depending. On how far apart you need them for the width of your buckels This will only take the space of 1 hanger

• Jana
      Jana

I got wooden hanger (had plastic previously, but they bowed!) put shower curtain rings (I got 12 packs for .97 at Walmart) then just loop my scarves through. I use the open ended hanger for belts.

• Ronda Torbic
      Ronda Torbic

I also use shower curtain rings on a hanger. I like the big plastic rings that you have to push to close except I do not close them. I do this for tank tops also. It let me free up a whole drawer. It's easier than a circular hanger,because you don't need to remove anything hanging in front of an item you want to wear. I love it because is is so quick and easy.

• Victoria
      Victoria

Thank you to everyone for your clever ideas regarding belt storage. I appreciate your time and willingness to share your tried and true solutions!

• Jaejae
    Jaejae

How do you get them to stay on the rod like that?

• Elaine Torres
      Elaine Torres

She explains in step 5. . . Only shoes with a chunky heal work.

• Suz9553630
      Suz9553630

you could do 2 parallel bars...one toward the back and then one maybe 6 inches in front depinding your shoe size...then nothing would fall off

• Pam Cooper
      Pam Cooper

READ Step 5 INCLUDING this---- *Because most of my shoes have a nice chunky heel they are able to balance on one rod. If you have more delicate shoes they may have a tendency to fall through the back. If this is the case you can buy the thinner rods and double up. Basically you would place 2 small rods next to each other almost creating a shelf for the shoes to rest on. For heels you can do them slightly offset so the heel rests on the back rod and the toe on the front. For the shoes I was storing all I needed was the standard rods, but I may have to alter it for some of my other shoes.

• Kay
      Kay

I would put flats on floor and use two rods each level with the back rod slightly higher.

• Lauri Arntsen
      Lauri Arntsen

An old ladder can work in a similar fashion...

• Jaejae
      Jaejae

Oh, ok, I guess I missed step 5. It's a nifty idea, just won't work for me. Maybe I can replace rods with wooden slats. Thanks all.

• Lynn Potocki
      Lynn Potocki

Be careful when putting rods up on dry wall that you do not go CRAZY making the rods super tight. Do not want to put hole in dry wall. Just saying...LOL

• Diana Lorimer
    Diana Lorimer

where will you hang your dresses and shirts except to fold everything?

• Dar12623646
      Dar12623646

It is only heels width or a little more from the wall. Clothes can hang right on the rod up to the shoes. As pictured a shelf can go above. If your last rod is not too close the the floor bins could go there and pull out like a drawer to store more shoes, sweaters, out of season clothes etc.

• Jrh2656521
      Jrh2656521

Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated.

• Maria
      Maria

I will put near bottom 3 feet of my closet.

• Diana Lorimer
      Diana Lorimer

thank you for explaining

• Patio200
    Patio200

what size shoe do you wear? they look too large for one rod.

• Totati
    Totati

So the shoes are held only by the rod? There is no shelf to support them? Sorry but it feels to me that they can fall.

• Sue Freese Kieffer
      Sue Freese Kieffer

If you place the rod close enough to the wall, the shoe is propped against the wall and then rested on the bar

• That Girl!
      That Girl!

And if you don't feel comfortable with them being supported with just one rod, just add a second rod between the first rod and the wall. Just leave enough room for the toes to fit over for balance. The second rod could be a lighter weight. That's what I plan to do as I don't want the toes of my shoes touching my wall. This is an excellent idea.

• Jan6076833
      Jan6076833

You have some of the best ideas in this site. Some of the questions asked seem to be postured as criticisms when they have a common sense solution. I have used so many of your ideas. Keep up the great work!

• Helene Beadman
      Helene Beadman

Being creative and talented as you are is a gift. You have great ideas and so functional. Thank you for your inspiration....never give up on your unique btalents..cheers and the very best in the new year..xo

• JoLeen Bolton
      JoLeen Bolton

Such a good idea! For those of us on a very limited budget, we could cut a board to size, add side supports, and basically have narrow shelves at the end of the closet like you show. Tension rods would be easier to install, for sure, but sometimes you can buy one board the width you want to make several shelves for less than the rods. Just another thought, absolutely not a criticism! Thanks for the light bulb moment!

• Totati
      Totati

To respond to the persons who mentioned criticisms - my comment was not a critique. I found the solution very creative and wanted to make sure I understood how it was done.

• Kat8999933
      Kat8999933

What a wonderful idea I am always looking to make more room

• Willow
    Willow

why not hook heals over rod?

• Joanne Michael
      Joanne Michael

The weight of the shoes pulls the tension rod down; all fall down.

• Jet
      Jet

Increase the tension

• Carol
      Carol

Look at her shoes - most of them have flat soles and very little or no heels.

• Launa Elaine Strickland
      Launa Elaine Strickland

This seems to work. Why do it differently?

• Sandra K Cahill
      Sandra K Cahill

Tension rods when done correctly are pretty sturdy and hold more weight than you think. Especially shoes! You can always incorporate a block of wood under the tension rods if you're insecure about their holding ability. Just make sure to get the blocks into the studs because otherwise you'll just be drilling holes into your wall with no support.

• Willow
      Willow

I am not the one who said the weight of heeled shoes will pull the rod dow, in fact, IMO high heeled shoes are usually light-weight. I was just suggesting hang them by the heel - you won't need an extra piece of wood for the toe end.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I found that the weight of the toe on a smaller heeled shoe would cause the shoe to flip forward and off of the rod. This is why I suggested putting your tiny heeled shoes to rest on 2 rods versus one... You may find that one works for you and if so then go for it, but with the rods I had one wasn't working for those sort of heels.

• Barbara42
    Barbara42

How do you see your shoes when you have clothes on the rod?

• Jen
      Jen

What??? Clothes on what rod?

• Barbara42
      Barbara42

This looks like one end of my closet, but the clothes rod runs the other direction and has clothes that would prevent me from seeing all my shoes

• Alfonso Gomez
      Alfonso Gomez

There is a shelf and the clothes are folded on that shelf. Nothing is hanging down.

• Arlene Shanaberger
      Arlene Shanaberger

In my decluttering I was just getting ready to toss half a dozen tension rods...now they have new purpose...

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

That closet isn't used for clothing outside of sweaters. That rod is there, but hasn't been used to hang clothing on for some time....

• Linda
    Linda

So where's your hanging clothes ?

• Glenn Moore
    Glenn Moore

Hate to be a killjoy but be sure the rods are at least 6" from the wall to prevent children from strangulation. Similar to that required for stair balusters.

• Laura
      Laura

...unless you don't like your children!

• Francine zielaskiewicz
      Francine zielaskiewicz

Really....keep your kids out of you closet...

• Pat Kovar
      Pat Kovar

kids are always attracted to small cozy spaces they are not suppose to be in. thank you Glenn M for that really awesome observation.

• Forestine Jackson
      Forestine Jackson

I like this idea! I don't have any small children around and whenever family members come with them, they are not aloud to roam the house alone.

• Ilene-Rachel
      Ilene-Rachel

Isn't it more like keep them 6" or less? It's when they're wide enough apart for a child to squeeze it's head in (but not that much wider than that) that it becomes dangerous.

• J Elaine Baker
      J Elaine Baker

Tension rods easily come away so a head stuck between them is ludicrous ... cannot happen! The rod would come away too quickly.

• Marcia
      Marcia

Good grief. Don't let them get out of bed in the morning. It's safer that way.

• Marie R
      Marie R

lol

• Swinnen Lisette
      Swinnen Lisette

When we were children, we survived all right !. It is like my friend warning me that the stovepipe above my woodstove should be insulated because of children might touch them...What about my woodstove then? If children burn themselves more than once they are ready to be confined in a state facility.. Do you see children playing in a shoe closet? If they do, time to close the door, turn the key and put the key somewhere safe..Especially avoid all bad experiences to children, they might learn a thing or two
    • Jeanne Martin
      Jeanne Martin

Geez...I'm with Marcia! I guess some people need to put their kids in a bubble! If they are young and small enough to get strangled at floor level they should never be unsupervised.
  • Teresa Yarber Hood
    Teresa Yarber Hood

since the rods were placed exactly where the shelves had been... why not just use the shelves instead?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

The shelves were missing. I live in an apartment and there had only been brackets there before. Plus for those who don't have shelves it's a great option.

• NancyMaria
      NancyMaria

if you want shelves just double the tension rods and put boards on top.

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

My husband's side of our walkin closet has built in shoe racks. Does he use them? He has at least 14 pairs of shoes. Only the ones he doesn't wear stay on the racks. The others are stacked and strewn on his floor. I own three pairs of shoes, including one in my favorite color, but it arrived in the wrong size. One pair rests on the floor at the end of our bed. This pair serves as my useful servants, day or night. The other pair serves as beach shoes. I have simple needs in shoes. Lol. I would find shelves for your lower closet braces and stack my winter sweatshirts there. And my shoes on the floor under them. Best wishes 😇
  • Hdd17495180
    Hdd17495180

great idea! Does the weight of the shoes & boots cause the rods to slide down?

• Bren
    Bren

Dumb question...What keeps the shoes up ? Do they rest against the wall ?
    • Virginia
      Virginia

yes
    • Amanda D
      Amanda D

I wondered for a second too, but looking at the pics more closely, I could see. LOVE this idea, an older home with odd size closets, this is perfect!! Thank you!!
    • Bren
      Bren

I'm sorry......see what ?
    • Carol Jordan
      Carol Jordan

Bren - that the shoes are sitting on top of the rods and leaning against the wall. That's what keeps the shoes up. See Step 5 of the instructions.
    • Denise
      Denise

Bren, if you want to move the shoes away from the wall to hand your shoes, you can use 2 tension rods per row.
    • Sandra
      Sandra

Velcro self adhesive tape, comes in basic colors. Good little pieces too.
  • MJ
    MJ

Not a question but a suggestion. If you turn the 2nd shoe the other way it gives you more room. Saw this once & it works.
    • Eileen
      Eileen

Thats a great idea, MJ!!
    • Sandra
      Sandra

Yes, but some heels can be ornery 😉
    • JoAnn Utter
      JoAnn Utter

Question: why are u keeping some single shoes without partners?

• Maggie Kimble-Bernard
      Maggie Kimble-Bernard

JJOann, look closer, those are slipper-type sandals, one slid into the other. ;)

• Mcc26344203
      Mcc26344203

JoAnn

Those black and gold shoes on the end are intertwined together, not single shoes.

• Gill Martin
      Gill Martin

Must admit I like to keep my shoes in clear boxes that stack -- after realising at an evening meeting that I had been wearing one navy and one dark green shoe ALL DAY [ no-one commented either!]

• Julie Cameron
    Julie Cameron

Would this be good for renters, can the rods be removed if you need to move house?
    • Debbie
      Debbie

Yes you can. You would need to lessen the tension on the rod and remove. Tension rods are a great invention as their application is endless. I used one under my sink to hang various spray bottles container cleaners.

• Denise
      Denise

Absolutely great for renters. These rods are spring tension rods. Just unwind/unscrew them take them down and take them with you.
    • Terri
      Terri

Yes, these kinds of rods are removeable. Perfect solution for renters.
    • Ellen Anolik
      Ellen Anolik

I think it would be easier to move the rods than the house! LOL. Jk😄

• Shuganne
      Shuganne

Good one, Ellen!

(But on further thought, could this be a colloquialism, like I might say, change clothes?)

Julie, the laws generally say that if you attach it to the apartment, it stays, like light fixtures, or the wood strips on the sides of Amanda's closet. The wood was nailed in; it stayed. The shelves resting on top were removable. They were picked up and carried away by a previous tenant. With tension rods, I usually just push up and the rod comes free. Or, you could grab each end of the rod and twist them counterclockwise to loosen the spring inside and lift it away.

• Spartychic
    Spartychic

I'm looking for shoe storage options also. However I don't get how the back of the shoes don't fall through, what is supporting them? Thanks!

• Nikki
      Nikki

The backs are against the wall. I would opt to use the second rod she mentioned

• Veronica Ronnie Taylor
      Veronica Ronnie Taylor

The tension rods are acting like a shelf make sure they are placed close enough so the shoes won't fall in between the rods..

• Cheryl
      Cheryl

I have shoe racks. However, I used the same idea to give me more hanging room. I put a "tension rod" about 2 feet from the floo rand hang my shorter clothes on it.

• Bonnie Morris
      Bonnie Morris

i like this! I use a shoe rack but this would make it easier to clean under the shoes without having to move anything. Good idea!

• Itsmemic
      Itsmemic

loved this so much did one side for shoes..other side hung a rod across half way up to hang my blouses. just measure the lowest hanging item on top rod...SO much more room on main rod now !

• Mike Boswell
    Mike Boswell

HOW CAN I MOUNT A CABINET IN MY BATHROOM WITH ONLY ONE STUD? ARE THERE BRACKETS THAT I CAN ATTACH TO THE REAR OF THE CABINET?

• Pea6054983
    Pea6054983

I count approximately 18 pairs of shoes. What do you suggest for someone who HAS SEVRAL HUNDRED. I do give them away but they still seem to stay..............

• Jackie
      Jackie

If they are a 7 women’s, you can send the overflow to me 😅

• L. Creative
      L. Creative

I found an idea on Pinterest. It was crown molding mounted to the wall. I had three eight foot racks attached to the living room wall and three in the bedroom. I painted them purple and put all my cute heels on them! They got so much positive responses. They did have to be reinforced from the weight.

• Senior Chief
      Senior Chief

Counseling 🤪. Just kidding 😂

• Car22846301
    Car22846301

Great idea! However, they take up the whole closet - where do you hang the clothes?

• L. Creative
      L. Creative

Looks as if they only take up the bottom area to me!

• Boy10842321
      Boy10842321

The one picture shows a shelf of sweaters, I am guessing this didn't take more than the wall space that would be available below hanging clothes and or remove one shelf if that is all the closet has, and could be done in a few closets if you have too many for one.

• Gre32534851
      Gre32534851

They are a pair of sandals or mules one inside the other. I already do this and it works really well.

• Joe Jones
      Joe Jones

Looks to me like there are clothes above the shoes already. But my closets are the same 8’ my ceilings are and the shoes take up 3’ of the bottom of the closet if your clothes hang that low move your hanging rod up higher.

• German Lopez
      German Lopez

I just used your comment to make fun of my wife.. ladies are cotrolled by the consumerism machine .... and she controls me... because I love her ... so... is there any solution? Or is this the only one?🐎

• Susan
      Susan

I can't speak for ladies, but as a woman who lives minimally I can say that no one can provide a solution to cure your wife's consumerism. Even poverty won't cure her: she'll just shop at thrift stores. You're not going to change her - she has to deal with her own behavior.

• Jod28199682
    Jod28199682

What is the random single shoe on the far right of 2 rows? They don't have a match and it looks to me they are placed there to push the other shoes tightly together so that they don't fall

• L. Creative
      L. Creative

I’m sure each closet size is SLIGHTLY different so I bet that is the way to maximize the space. I would put one on top and the match one row down.

• Lad26875193
      Lad26875193

One shoe is tucked inside the other.

• Boy10842321
      Boy10842321

To me it looks like a slip on sandal type shoe and are stacked to keep them together with minimal space taken up.

• Judy
      Judy

Look closely. The heels are pushed into the mate. It’s easier to see in the gold sandals. I do this all the time to save room.

• SSPearl
      SSPearl

Come on Jody! Haven't you ever tucked one sandle

inside the other?

• Joe Jones
      Joe Jones

Gotta love doubters. It’s a sandal or house shoe tucked inside the other for space reasons making shoes tighter left to right doesn’t keep them from falling backward

• JoAnn
      JoAnn

Cartercool and Sherman have it.

• QueenBee
      QueenBee

If you arrange your shoes toes/heels facing forward (instead of all toes facing forward) you can also save space.

• Lea Miller
      Lea Miller

There are two shoes there, one is inside of the other because they are slides.

• Lea Miller
      Lea Miller

ok you mean the middle row. sorry

• Lau25663799
      Lau25663799

Does it really matter?

• Dan Olsen
    Dan Olsen

I have 1 pair of shoes and 1 pair of boots..What do you suggest ?

• All24980092
    All24980092

Where did you get that adorable wallpaper? And what is the name of the pattern? Great project.

• Kelly Todd Miller
    Kelly Todd Miller

Just curious. With the price of tension rods, isn’t it easier and cheaper just to buy those closet shoe holders? It is a cute idea though.

• Velva Woodstock
      Velva Woodstock

I've seen these tension rods at the second hand store for $2 - 3. Wipe them off and use them.

• Pennie Collins
      Pennie Collins

I bought one of those shoe racks. It wasn’t very sturdy and I ended up gluing and tightening it repeatedly over time. I’m trying the tension rod idea because I want more floor space and less hassle! 😀

• Sandra
      Sandra

I agree with Pennie, the shoe racks are flimsy and the spacing would not accommodate boots -- well except for the top shelf.

• Mary lo
      Mary lo

I imagine this idea also holds more shoes.....considering she has such little floor space. The shoe racks would take up alot of floor space.

• Nita Hirales-Vega
      Nita Hirales-Vega

I like that the rods instantly adjust to the needed size. Some spaces, like mine are awkward and no premade anything ever fits.

• Larry Shroyer
      Larry Shroyer

Grest idea!

• Debra Baker
      Debra Baker

This is great. It frees up floor space too so it looks neater

• Paula Hahn Smith
      Paula Hahn Smith

Big Lots has cheap rods

• Martin McCord
      Martin McCord

and your idea works better, you still have the entire closet left to use for clothes.

• Ddb32489154
    Ddb32489154

What’s an easy way of hanging boots ?

• Lynn
      Lynn

Thin tension rod, curtain rings with a clip. Slide rings onto rod before hanging rod, making sure to hang high enough for your boot height, it then clip top of boots to hang.

• Esther McGough
      Esther McGough

the small plastic hangers with the clips work too

• Raven Muggenburg
      Raven Muggenburg

Pant hangers

• Kelli
      Kelli

If you want to keep your boots straight legged, without marks... cut a swim noodle into 4 equal parts, then stuff one piece down into each boot leg. Next... make a lower shelf for your boots, or just stack them on each side of the closet or utilize your top shelf above your clothes for your taller items.

• Kelli
      Kelli

AMEN!!!!!!!

• Ddb32489154
      Ddb32489154

Thanks

• Stolzy
      Stolzy

I take Christmas paper rolls and put them inside to keep them upright..no scrunch line,and the paper helps with humidity in the "winter" closet during the summer. Then I hang them from pant hanger clips.

• Helen Balfour
    Helen Balfour

My closet is twice as wide. What do u use?

• Kelli
      Kelli

Ttension rods are the same thing as your normal shower rod. They make them larger than these. Go look at the supplies carried at Lowe's or Walmart... and decide exactly what size will work for you, or who store carries it for lower prices.

• Chrissy Krainock Luders
      Chrissy Krainock Luders

What a great idea- thanks for sharing!

• Neva Dew
      Neva Dew

Or if you feel support is needed - then add an L-shaped shelf bracket in the middle.

• Janiceiler
      Janiceiler

I took my Closet rod and moved it up , then Installed A 2nd Rod below that one, so now I have 2 rods a d can hang double the closet, so now I can't do this in my closet but I can in the guest closet

• Kelli
      Kelli

My daughter moved into the tiny house located on our property. The bedroom in this house is definitely Tiny! It is just big enough to fit a full sized bed on one wall, and on the opposite wall, there were two tiny 2.5 foot closets in each corner and a 5 foot gap in between. The door to the closets take up too much room when they are opened, so we removed them. The closet rods were set rather low, so we raised one, and added a second one at midway down. This added up to a total of 5 feet of hanging space in one closet. In the other closet we added a set of shelves at 1.5 feet wide and a small 1 ft. section of closet rod at the normal height. The smaller rod is just enough room to hang her longer dresses, and the shelves are just wide enough to place shoes, etc...! In the 5 feet between the closets, we placed a shorter full length dresser, and hung her TV above with 2 full length shelves below it, to use as an entertainment area, to hold her cable box, DVD player, stereo, Dad's and Dad's, as well as a few nicknacks. Also a couple decorative shelves on either sides of the TV to hold pictures, or books, etc. Finally, we hung a set of sliding barn doors to slide accross and either cover the closets, or over the entertainment/ drawer area. And a barn door across the doorway to the room. This final step allowed enough room next to her bed for a night stand. By removing the regular pull open doors in this room and replacing them with the barn doors; gave us an additional 10 square feet of usable floor space. I used the tension rods in all 3 places instead of the normal closet rods, saving us about $15.00 as well.

• Nikki Malone
    Nikki Malone

How to repair baseboards that looks like hers?

• Pamela Green
      Pamela Green

Clean the surface. Find some gel stain that is the same color as your stained floor, or close to it. You can apply it in layers. You can apply the stain with a cheap brush or sponge brush. Wipe the stain off with a clean rag before the gel dries too much. A couple of minutes or less.

Or even easier is to get a tin of Briwax. It’s the best stuff ever. It comes in all kinds of colors and it’s a wax and a stain. It’s a wipe off thing too, but you can use Briwax on all your furniture. I have stained terra cotta pots and other containers and frames with it! Google Briwax and read about it. Great stuff!

• Lil33718186
    Lil33718186

what about the pieces of the wood planks on either side of the wall inside the closet what size do I ask for at the home diy Lowe's ?

• Nadine Zvorsky
      Nadine Zvorsky

Looks like shelf supports. I think she removed the shelf to make remove for the rods.

• Cj
      Cj

1x2 or 1x3 depending on the look u want

• Cst27602504
      Cst27602504

They look like firring strips, but yoi have a picture. Go ask your local wood pro what you need for closet shelves. They aren't needed for this shoe project.

• KYL12042919
    KYL12042919

Book shelves I need ideal what to do with my daughter moved to college and now I have 4 BShelves to use up any suggestions ?

• Christina
    Christina

Great idea looks so neat i am going to try this!!!

• Mary lu
    Mary lu

so, do you hang your clothes in front of the shoes or is the closet just for shoes. if so you would need another closet for clothes which I wouldn't have.

• Sybil Nicol
      Sybil Nicol

this looks like it might have been a linen closet, see the shelf over the shoes that has shirts on it, and the side bar for a shelf that was removed.... It's still a cool idea for a small closet.

And you would hang your clothes in front of it.

I would have liked to see a picture of the closet from top to bottom.

• Darrell G. Walton
    Darrell G. Walton

The rods are being supported by slats from previously installed shelves. Cut the previous installed shelf boards to one half or a third of its depth and you accomplish the same for zero cost.

• Lisa Elias
      Lisa Elias

YES. without the slats, the tension rods do not support much weight. I tried and they collapsed ...

• Mss27325874
      Mss27325874

Darrell, much better idea, as I can see that some shoes would fall off the rod without exact placement for balance.

• Jessie
      Jessie

Two levels were..not all three

• Karrie
      Karrie

It looks like middle rod is resting on slats, but the bottom one is up against a baseboard and the top one is not resting on anything. Maybe she had easier access to tension rods than boards and this gave her three “shelves” vs one or two (doesn’t look like the baseboards would support a wood shelf). It seems to be working for her.... I think it’s a great idea!

• Good idea though I'd start by fixin' up the baseboards etc. perhaps a rug on the floor. The aesthetics are just as important as the function.

• Elly
      Elly

Comment to sandpiper... Its about shoe storage!!!

• Barb
    Barb

The supports are there, why not just put in shelves?

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

She put three "shelves" in the space where one was before. Look more closely and you'll see what I mean.

• Rebecca H Lloyd
      Rebecca H Lloyd

Tension rods allow for more customizable spacing and provides a space saving appearance. Another shelf would just be another place to stack a smaller pile of shoes.

• Karen Enns
      Karen Enns

Some rentals wouldn't allow adding shelves.

• Fariba
    Fariba

How to organize corner closet !?

• Angie
    Angie

I LOVE your Black, White and Red shoes! ❤️

• Michele
    Michele

My closet is not so narrow. Any suggestions of a very wide closet? This looks great but not feasible for me. But I would like to get my shoes off the bedroom floor!

• Courtney
      Courtney

Try curtain rods! They’re usually much longer :)

• Gail Brandt-Otero
      Gail Brandt-Otero

Maybe you could try extending curtain rods.

• Ada
      Ada

Use shower curtain rods! $4.99 at Ross!

• Debbie Judge Tramundanas
      Debbie Judge Tramundanas

Would a tension shower curtain rod be long enough?

• Catherine
      Catherine

Use the wooden or plastic rod holders that you screw to the wall for dowell rod curtain holders and use 3/4 - 1 inch round wooden rods. You can get them pretty long or for strength use old used iron pipe and paint it then you can use 1/2 inch. Might be a little costly but well worth it. The wooden dowell might sag with the weight. The pipe not so much.

• Marcella
      Marcella

I put my shoes facing down inside a basket, it saves a lot of space,

• Sharon Conroy
      Sharon Conroy

A shower curtain tension rod goes at least 5 feet or more across.

• Valerie
      Valerie

Try shower curtain tension rods, they are much longer. Also, you can take back rod and raise it up higher than front rod, to put heels onto. I hope this helps.

• 37360172
      37360172

put them in side ways (front to back)

• Wendy Mason-Cruz
      Wendy Mason-Cruz

I bought some hanging shoe storage bags for one of my closets and they worked really great! Depending on the kind you buy, you can get quite a lot of shoes in them!! They even have some for boots!!

I my other closet I had deciders put in, one section had 2 bars for shorter things, middle section had shelves for whatever, however the bottom has shoes. It can be done same as this hack and then some!!!

• Perhaps a narrow quilt rack. The image is from Pinterest

• Tracey
      Tracey

You can buy longer tension rods to fit a wider space.

• Renee
      Renee

Instead of going with the length of the closet, go with width of the closet. And you may be able to do more

• Janet hoffer
    Janet hoffer

I see you have trim boards in your closet were your rods are resting on them do I need to put those in

• Cadd56
    Cadd56

Where do you find the short tension rods?

• Renee Devries
    Renee Devries

Seeing that you already had trim boards around the inside of the closet, I suspect originally there were shelves. Why didn’t you just just the shelves back to the size of your shoes/boots?

• Ferrari.1111
      Ferrari.1111

If there's shelves then there's many rows of shoes which gets messy. this forces unison.

plus created large space; can store a hamper or tote or whatever in front of the shoes now.

• Michaela Szczepanski Reed
      Michaela Szczepanski Reed

Thought the same thing with the mouldings inside the closet already

• Rich Gilberto
      Rich Gilberto

I think there’s a missing word there, “why didn’t you just [cut] the shelves back to the size of your shoes?”

it’s a valid question

• Carol Stowell
    Carol Stowell

I used a fairly flimsy tension under my kitchen cabinet to organize it better. Super idea. The only problem I had was the weight on the rod. It worked super for all those 1/2 filled bottle of cleaners but if it was a new bottle and there were several of them, it kep pulling the tension rod off/down. First of all, I should have used a heavier stronger tension rod. I just wondered if if u encountered the same problem with your shoes. I know shoes especially those with chunky heels can be pretty heavy. Did this happen to u? Is that why you provided the extra support? I should have put my thinking cap on and nailed some kind of Clete to the walls. Or maybe just a heavier rod would have done the trick. Those darn fresh bottles of cleaner are pretty heavy. Anyway, love your clever idea! ❤️

• Cheryl Barclay Plyler
    Cheryl Barclay Plyler

Your online workshop link did not work for me. Can you send another link.

• Cat
    Cat

Ugh! I need desperate help w my closet disaster! I was excited to go to your link!!

But, it says the page no longer exists!

is there a way to put it on messenger? I don’t need the videos, just the IDEAS would be helpful!

Thanks SO much!

cathy Wagner Reed franklin

• Tammy Gray Miller
    Tammy Gray Miller

How far from the back wall do u place the rod?

• Holly Donahue-Bannon
    Holly Donahue-Bannon

Ok so I tried this and I’m theory it does work. But it’s like a deck of cards. One little bump and they all come tumbling down. Any suggestions to make the shoes sit more stable?

• Eddaena Allen
      Eddaena Allen

Put another tie rod a couple of inches from the ones that you already installed

• Natalie
    Natalie

Cool idea! Outstanding!

• Karen
    Karen

Cool and very helpful in old homes and apartments. Will be moving soon and this makes it easier. Thank you so much