DIY STENCILED CONCRETE FLOOR

This tutorial was submitted to the Grillo Designs Blog by Sandra from House of Imperfections – a Facebook page that specialises in revamping everyday furniture into shabby chic designs and more. Sandra is also a member of the Grillo Designs Home Decorating Facebook group (search for us on facebook!)
She shares how to transform boring ugly floors with chalk paint and stencils
Materials used:
-Stenciled pattern roller (These rollers can be purchased from myself head over to Grillo Designs for more details)
-Webster Chalk Powder
-Floor sealant
-Latex Paint color of your choice
How to:
I just recently bought 5 different stencil pattern rollers to sell and play with. One of them was a wood grain pattern which is what I decided to use to create this faux stenciled flooring
I used Websters Chalk Paint Powder in my own colour choice and added it to Antique White from Dulux Paints (be sure to follow the directions on the packaging for direct quantities ) .
I applied the paint with a roller starting from the top of edge of the floor and worked my way down to the bottom edge of the floor. I did this in columns as you can see from my picture below.
After completing, I realised the paint had dried up almost instantly. I decided to leave it and not seal it seeing as it was concrete and paint is normally hard to come off concrete. I also loved how raw it looked and didn’t want a sheen to it.
However, if your floor is constantly in use, you can seal it with any floor vanish or poly just to be on the safe side! I have plans to go over it again, introducing maybe one other colour , just to give it more depth to the grain affect. SEE MORE DETAILS ON THIS TUTORIAL AT BLOG LINK BELOW.
SIGN UP HERE TO OUR DIY NEWSLETTER FOR MORE WEEKLY DECORATING AND DIY TUTORIALS

Grillo Designs Members Projects

• Terrie

How do you match up the pattern when you need to apply more paint to the roller? Also, with the pattern then you can not go over a spot for heavier coverage right or you would mess up the pattern?
    • Deemail100

I didn't match it up, I painted each 'board either 2, 4 or 6' long, drew a line with a skinny brush and then another line right next to it with teeny space and started a new board. After it was all dry, I wet back and stamped 1/2" 'dowels' (just a round stamp I made from a dense sponge) with 2 on each end of each board.... looked great after 12 years when I moved.... I did not have this roller, it was a different one and not as big as hers, but it worked fine...

• Lisa Pardue

I have been wanting to do this forever to our old beach house. . I have a plan already in place but have been reluctant to start. Wow !!! what a great job you did! I am so pleased I found your tutorial. I can’t wait to get back and do mine. What was name of color you used? . I may go over stencil with a line to mark planks, and may do nail holes. It will be high traffic so I plan to put many Coates of poly over it. Did you clean or treat your concrete before stenciling? I have old concrete, and new patches where a wall was removed. Any suggestions on what I should prepare for? Let me know. Thanks

• Mkj30002038

Hope to try it. Would it work on a garage floor??