Stenciled Glazed Cupboard

This charity shop bought, glazed cupboard has been painted and covered in stenciled pattern to give it a bone inlay effect. Although the paint colour is bright, the addition of the pattern in a neutral colour softens the effect.
stenciled glazed cupboard
The cupboard is not made from beautiful solid wood, but is actually quite lightweight and was painted with a shiny mahogany coloured varnish, but the shape is lovely.
stenciled glazed cupboard
To begin with I applied two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Florence, followed by a coat of Polyvine Decorators Varnish in Dead Flat Finish.
stenciled glazed cupboard
stenciled glazed cupboard
Using the Neemrana, Rajasthan and Pondicherry Border Stencils I added the pattern to the whole of the exterior.
stenciled glazed cupboard
stenciled glazed cupboard
Once the stencil pattern was complete I added another coat of varnish.
stenciled glazed cupboard
stenciled glazed cupboard
I originally intended to sell the cupboard, but it has found it's way into my hallway and has become filled with my collection of cookbooks, so I don't think this one is going to make it onto my website!
You can find the Neemrana, Rajasthan and Pondicherry Stencils I used for this project here
http://www.nicolettetabram.co.uk
Nicolette tabram designs

• Nita

So what did u use the spray adhesive for?

• Nita

Thank u all for replying. Some use painters tape to place stencils. Making sure to keep stencils clean before moving on to continue.

• June Halliday

curious to know why you use chalk paint in particular and not another paint.

• June Halliday

Oh I see. Nice! I imagine it’s nit as durable or washable as regular paint. So use it places that don’t need washing So often?

• Lmlahlum

I wondered the same thing. Why chalk paint, especially if using a dead flat varnish on top. I would think any flat or not shiny paint would do.

• Lmlahlum

I have not used it. Good to know. I wondered why I kept seeing it crop up. Thought it was just trendy or something. Didn't know it has special qualities. Thanks for the clarifications!