Hide the Clip Ring-Top Curtains

My favorite curtain hardware for function is probably the ring-top. It consistently slides smoothly and is a cinch to put up and take down. Ring-top has NOT been my favorite for looks, though, because of the ugly little clips used to attach the rings to the curtains.
I FINALLY made curtains for our family room. I ordered swatches over a year ago and just couldn't decide, so I waited. And waited. Then, a few weeks ago I decided on a fabric and placed my order. But my decision-making had only just begun. I had to choose my hardware.
I used these convenient clips on some curtains I hung in our old house. Overall I was happy with the curtains, but I hated seeing the clips. I would arrange the curtains carefully to try and hide them. So, this time around I devised a way to keep those little things hidden. And it worked! All you need in addition to your normal curtain-making supplies is some grosgrain ribbon.
First, attach the grosgrain ribbon to the top of the fabric, 1.5 inches down. You can put one big strip of ribbon all the way across, or you can measure out and evenly space pieces of the ribbon (as I did), so attaching the clips at even intervals later will be easy. I am using 7 clips, so I have 7 pieces evenly spaced. Both of my curtains are shown here, one with the top folded over because I used the first one I did as a guide for the second.
Sew the ribbon on three sides , leaving the bottom open. (Bottom of ribbon will become the top when you fold over and make the top tab of your curtain, as shown here.)
Finish the rest of your curtain top, sides and hem. When you hang the curtains, clip the rings on to the hidden strips of ribbon.
Good-bye visible clips!
Easy sliding and no clips in sight!
Ahhh. I am always amazed at how much more finished a room looks with curtains!

• Grosgrain ribbon
  • Fabric

Kelly Fleming Smith

• Eroque022810

You did a great job explaining and I would agree that it looks more finished with the method you used,very professional.
  • Penny Bowen Shaw

Awesome, I've nvr liked seeingthe clips. Off to my sewing machine!

Thx