Fireplace Whitewash Project

$25

We have a mid-century modern home, I love the style but have wanted to update the living room fireplace since we moved in 2.5 years ago. But, I also know that once you paint brick - you can't go back, so I waited until I figured out what I wanted to do - and for my hubby to be out of town (just in case he didn't want it done - lol)!
Here's the fireplace before - an orange colored brick, wood slab mantle, dirty inside from soot.
I wanted to do a dry brush whitewash - where some of the brick color comes through but it was mostly white including the mortar seams. I used white chalk paint from Waverly bought at Walmart.
It has a large clay tile hearth - don't like it but decided to just paint it for now -this is the primer and at the end painted it gray. But will be doing something different with it eventually.
Painted the mantle white, added corbels, trim molding to the ceiling, and painted the inside of the fireplace black (using heat resistant paint).
The room is so much brighter and updated! I always say one update leads to another - so now I am looking for a new painting or piece of art for the large fireplace because I don't like the one I had up there before!
I found a mirror that I already had and put it on the fireplace - I think it looks perfect with the new whitewash! So happy with it now!

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!

• Allison

you did a great job. very nice! I love the ? about you husbands response. did he fall over? lol

• Allison

of course you are right, but i will always believe in cooperation, that way every project becomes fun, and partners want to do more!

• Carol

Had a question... Did you thin out the chalk paint?

• Rachel

i also have an ugly brick fireplace that has a shiny sealer on it. do i need to cleanse bricks before painting & if so what would i use?

• Cindy Hagemann

I would brush it with a broom and then do a test with chalk paint - I use chalk paint because it covers just about every finish and will adhere and has a matte finish.