Fireplace Whitewash Project

$25

We have a mid-century modern home, I love the style but have wanted to update the living room fireplace since we moved in 2.5 years ago. But, I also know that once you paint brick - you can't go back, so I waited until I figured out what I wanted to do - and for my hubby to be out of town (just in case he didn't want it done - lol)!
fireplace whitewash project, fireplaces mantels
Here's the fireplace before - an orange colored brick, wood slab mantle, dirty inside from soot.
I wanted to do a dry brush whitewash - where some of the brick color comes through but it was mostly white including the mortar seams. I used white chalk paint from Waverly bought at Walmart.
It has a large clay tile hearth - don't like it but decided to just paint it for now -this is the primer and at the end painted it gray. But will be doing something different with it eventually.
Painted the mantle white, added corbels, trim molding to the ceiling, and painted the inside of the fireplace black (using heat resistant paint).
The room is so much brighter and updated! I always say one update leads to another - so now I am looking for a new painting or piece of art for the large fireplace because I don't like the one I had up there before!
I found a mirror that I already had and put it on the fireplace - I think it looks perfect with the new whitewash! So happy with it now!

• Alice Becker Deubell

did you prime the hearth. I love it in the black. Is that the heat resistant paint

• Cindy Hagemann

Did not prime the inside of the fireplace, just painted it with heat resistant paint, as stated.

• Allison

you did a great job. very nice! I love the ? about you husbands response. did he fall over? lol

• Allison

of course you are right, but i will always believe in cooperation, that way every project becomes fun, and partners want to do more!

• Carol

Had a question... Did you thin out the chalk paint?