DIY Doggie Bed

$15

Let’s face it, with no kids and just a 7lb doxie, we can’t help but spoil her. So another dog bed it is! Even Billy helped make this one I like to think one day we will be busy zestin’ together for our little ones (less furry I hope)!

Grab you supplies:
  • Suit case (from thrift store)
  • Pillow (from garage sale)
  • Fabric (from my scrap pile)
  • 4 Furniture legs (Home Depot)
  • Nuts and Bolts (Home Depot)
  • Hammer (Home Depot)
  • Woo
diy doggie bed

Meet Lucy. My little Doxie Diva. There she is workin’ her cuteness on her homemade crate bed. Now it's time to spoil her and make ANOTHER doggie bed!

diy doggie bed

Start out with your adorable vintage hardback suite case… snagged mine at the thrift store for $3!

diy doggie bed

You could leave the top of the suit case on and add your pup’s name to the back or even store dog toys in the flap, but for me it was a little too much green for my house. So time to crank out the hammer to disassemble….

diy doggie bed

See that beast? Yep, no screws. But not to worry we managed to figure out that you can wedge the hammer in to unhook the latch.

diy doggie bed

Brute Force- yep.

diy doggie bed

Next I snagged these furniture legs at Home Depot for about $3 each. Now let’s be real, my doxie is pretty short so even these legs will be a little too high (these are 6″) so I decided to cut them….

diy doggie bed

Chop away!

diy doggie bed

Now time to stain the wood!

Another option: you could also spray paint them a fun color!

diy doggie bed

Now it's time to add the legs! Drill in through the suitcase and then add a bolt to hold in the leg.

diy doggie bed

Snagged this pillow at a garage sale for .50 and then found some scrap Chevron print.

diy doggie bed

Yes, I will admit I didn’t even sew it! The pillow fits so snug I knew just folding it wouldn’t be an issue, but you could sew fabric or even use a pillow case, then it’s easy to wash.

diy doggie bed

And there she is workin’ it modeling again. Turned out pretty cute huh?

diy doggie bed

Here's a close look for ya!!

diy doggie bed

Caught the little peanut sleeping away in it, I think she approves!

Thanks for Zestin’!

~Sam
Zest it Up

• Beti Baganda

Understandably spoiled. But fogs prefer to sleep on cold floors because they have fur which keep them warm. Right?

• Kathie Morris

my sweet 50 lb. boxer loves, loves, loves her soft, comfy and warm beds complete with her own pillow and blankets.

• Smr12235681

Great idea, but how did you clean the suitcase before you put your pampered pooch in it?

• Carey

Dogs are much smarter than people often give them credit for. One time we went to a motel and they charged us $10 for the dog. Jokingly, I asked, "They do you have a bed for the dog?" To my surprise, the clerk said, "Yes we do, I will bring it right down for you." We had Sages Kennel for him and didn't expect that he would even consider sleeping anywhere else. WRONG! When that bed was brought in and the lady made it up for him, he happily went to bed on his very own motel bed! " : ) Another time we took him to the pet shop and had no idea that he would understand the concept of shopping! Again, WRONG! He went down the entire aisle with doggie things and checked out everything within his reach, went back and selected his choice and headed for the checkout! We laughed and laughed about his shopping trip!

• Penny-Marie

Just a comment. We got 2 Dachshunds from my aunt & uncle when they were stationed overseas & another 1 from their friends who were also going. We had just come back so my parents took them. One came with a bed & my father made bunk beds for the other 2. All 3 of them slept together in 1 though with our 2 cats also all snuggled up. When we moved to a drafty, cold farm house I had all 3 dogs sleeping with me, 1 on each side & the other keeping my feet warm. They were all short-haired standards so liked the warmth of blankets & me.

• Ann Fennell Ford

I would rather buy the cheapest pillow @ a store. The thrift store or garage sale pillow is prlbably FULL of gsrms/bacteria from who knows where!