Sara
Sara
  • Anchorage, AK

Turn a Folding Table Into a Dining Table!

$200

If you have a banquet-style folding table lying around you can take it and turn it into a nice-looking dining table. An inexpensive alternative to purchasing a plank-style industrial dining table.
turn a folding table into a dining table

I found this table online for over $3,000. To me, it kind-of just looks like a folding table, so I thought I'd try to create one out of a folding table we already had. It only ended up costing me $45!

This is what I started with. Basic folding table.

Start by turning the table upside down and spray painting the legs. First, remove feet (unless you want them the same color as the legs). I used Rustoleum Metallic Flat Soft Iron for the legs, then 2 different colors of gold craft paint for the feet.

These are the 2 that I used. 2 coats of the one on the left, then a light coat of the one on the right to brighten it up a bit. Just use a little paint brush to apply.

I started with three 1"x12"x8' boards and cut a foot off each one to make a 7-foot table. Cut, sand, and attach boards to each other using a Kreg Jig. (If you're not going to move the table around much, you might be able to attach just using Liquid Nails).

To give the edges more dimension, attach 1x2s around the entire perimeter of the bottom of the table, cutting 45-degree angles at each corner.

Clamp into place, drill holes using a countersinking bit, then add screws.

Place newly constructed top on the folding table. Attach with Liquid Nails.

My husband was worried that the Liquid Nails wouldn't hold, so he volunteered do drill holes and put screws through the folding table into the table top. Can't say if this is necessary or not, but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Before staining, wipe entire tabletop with wood conditioner (follow instructions on the can) Stain or paint the top. This table is a combination of stain and dry brushing.
Top with a few coats of finishing wax.

For more project details and pictures and for a tutorial on how to get the finish seen here, visit: http://www.finditfixitorbuildit.com/turn-a-folding-table-into-a-dining-table/

Please check this website before submitting any questions, thanks!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Bink

I think it still looks like a regular folding table. Where on earth did you find a table that looks just like "this" for $3,000 ????

• Jackie Winston

Why attach the wood tabletop to the folding table? Why not just cut out a thin rubber underlayment or velcro to lay underneath the top to prevent it from moving or sliding around while using it? That way, the table stays portable. I agree with the other comment that although the folding table looks much improved, it does still look like a folding table. It is still a great idea and looks great under certain circumstances.

• I love the stain on the table, but would like to see it shown off to it's best advantage with some real bonafide legs, and not the folding framework.

I agree with the metal chairs too, but hey, you did a great job, and how boring would it be if we all liked the same things?

• Sheri McCullah

Nice. I took a 24”x4’ one, attached a preformed countertop to it for a sewing table. The backsplash keeps everything from sliding off the back.

• Marie

Can you Post a pic of yours here...so I can see it ?

• Susan Brown

maybe if you made a box like structure around the legs and add embellishments, like you did by adding the 1 x 2 to add depth you could add moulding around the bottom of the enclosures. You might also try some decoration to the wood by burning in some design. If you use a stencil draw out the design and then burn the design onto the boxed structure. Just a thought. I think the legs are why everyone says it still looks like a folding table. Covering them with something nice would change that drastically. Happy instructable-ing !!