Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Jersey City, NJ

9 Things You Can Wash in Your Dishwasher

$0

Dishwashers aren't JUST for cleaning your lasagna off your dinner plate. I taking you inside my dishwasher to show you 9 things you can wash and sanitize in your dishwasher.
9 things you can wash in your dishwasher
Before you start putting things other than dishes inside your dishwasher, be sure to clean out the food trap of any leftovers. Another helpful tip, be sure to keep all these items on your top rack to avoid melting. (;
Item #1 Silicone hot pads and oven mitts.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but these silicone pot holders are a perfect match for your dishwasher to get off that leftover food and germs off!

Item #2 Kitchen Sponges + Brushes

I'm sure this isn't new to most people but the dishwasher is a great place to sanitize your sponges and brushes so you don't have to keep replacing them when they get smelly.
Item #3 Shower Lufas

Think about it, you rub these babies all over yourself to get you clean, but what's cleaning them? The dishwasher, that's what!
Item #4 Makeup Brushes

Ladies, listen up. Who has the time to be constantly washing your brushes. Next time they are looking a little dirty, just pop them in the dishwasher and walk away!
Item #5 Hair Brushes + Combs

Remove all the hair and lay your brushes and combs out on the top rack to sanitize and remove all the dead skin and product off!
Item #6 Baseball Hats

The sweat-wicking material of these hats are perfect for the dishwasher. It's also much better to wash them here instead of the dryer to keep their shape! Put a jar or can under them to keep the shape. Say goodbye to sweat stains and dirt!
Item #7 Toothbrush, Holder + Shower Head

Yuck, soap scum. Throw there items on your top rack to get rid of the left over toothpaste, hard water stains and mildew. Not to mention the hot water will totally sanitize your toothbrush!
Item #8 Rubber Shoes

Flip flops and rubber boots can easily be cleaned in the dishwasher. A long winter of salt buildup on your boots and dirt and dust on your flip flops isn't anything your dishwasher can't handle!
Item #9 Switch Plates

Don't feel like scrubbing off all your switch plates? Unscrew them and throw them on the top rack. Paint splatters, dirt, dust and dog hair be gone!

I know there are a million more things the dishwasher can clean and I'd love to hear what you put in your dishwasher.... other than your salad bowl. (:

• Sandi DeGroote

What about mini blinds? They are a bear to figure out how to wash them.

• Evelyn

I saw on Tv years ago..hang them over your clothes lines and spray with Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner then turn them the other and spray so you get both sides then hose of! They come out soooo nice and New! My huge bay window in the living room, I leave up on the window, put bath towels on the base and spray both sides with foaming bathroom cleaner then use a spray bottle of water to rinse off. Then just dab areas to dry that need it.

• Joshua

How do I put the hats in the dishwasher? Like what kind of soap and for how long

• Evelyn

There are "hat frames" for baseball caps to use in the dishwasher to keep the hat in shape

• Jo Thomas

What do you use to wash the hats in? I know dishwasher detergent will bleach out colors.

• Katie

And. . .don't forget the kitchen sink strainers, especially the mesh ones that catch all the gunk! Thanks for all the tips.

• Debra Poe

I have put keyboards for my computers in top rack to clean sticking keys. Just make sure it’s completely dry before hooking back to computer! I usually wash one day, hook back the next day.