Michele Pappagallo
Michele Pappagallo
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Myrtle Beach, SC

Our New Backyard Shed

We needed storage for our garden tools, etc, so this is what we came up with!
our new backyard shed
BEFORE - We removed a small section of our picket fence to make room for the shed. As you can see, the inside part of our yard is standard grass, etc...and the outside part is wooded. We did not want to take up too much of the grassy area with a shed, so we decided to place the shed in the fence line.
our new backyard shed
After making sure the ground was level, we built the foundation for the shed using 2x6s. We placed them on concrete blocks for support and to keep the shed off the bare ground.
our new backyard shed
Next came the floor of the shed. We used rough-cut 1x8s for this.
our new backyard shed
The walls framed up nicely....
our new backyard shed
We added siding to the framework. It is finally starting to look like something!
our new backyard shed
All of the windows and doors have now been cut out. Since there will no electricity in this shed, we wanted to make sure there would be plenty of light inside.
our new backyard shed
We added a light grey metal roof to match our nautical/beach themed house.
our new backyard shed
The windows fit perfectly and we built a door and mounted it as well.
our new backyard shed
I painted all of the trim a bright white. I used Valspar 7002-7 Dove White.
our new backyard shed
I used two colors of opaque stain from Lowes (Sorry, don't remember the color names!) to paint the exterior of the shed. Again, we were going for a nautical look and I love this color combination!
our new backyard shed
Next, we filled in all around the foundation with cinder blocks to add support and to prevent critters from crawling underneath. we also added in the fence pieces we had previously removed and attached them to the front edges of the shed on both sides.
our new backyard shed
Our next step was to build a frame for a porch on the front of the new shed.
our new backyard shed
we placed the frame on concrete paver blocks for support and to prevent ground contact with the frame. we mounted 1x8s to the top of the frame for the floor. I stained the porch the same darker grey color of the shed door and the fence.
our new backyard shed
Next, we added cinder blocks and pavers to each end of the porch to create "steps" for flower pots to sit on.
our new backyard shed
And finally, we added a bit of nautical decor to finish it all off. We love the fact that we now have plenty of storage but it doesn't take up much room in the fenced part of our yard. Also, we like that it matches the rest of our decor. Next project...landscaping! LOL

• Ali33495451

I’m curious, as to cost, to build this gorgeous shed. I understand you paid $300 for labor. What did it cost for materials? I love this! I hope you all were safe during Hurricane Florence!

• Michele Pappagallo

Thanks so much! Labor was $300 and the materials were $900...making the total cost of the shed $1200. We built it in 2015, and it is still standing after 3 hurricanes so far! LOL

• Dorie Minden

Do you have a plan you followed?

• Dorie Minden

Did you follow a plan or have a link to a plan?

• Edie Burton

Nice job! Well done with decor, too.

• Michele Pappagallo

Thanks! We are trying to keep everything nautical and beachy to match the decor of the house. Have a great day!

• Zinzo

It's a cute shed. I wouldn't waste it on tools. I'd want to have a desk or a bed in it. Perfect for writing, or for napping outdoors (with windows and door open) or for sleeping out there on a rainy night (think of the restful sound of rain on that roof).