Kaye
Kaye
  • Tutorial Team
  • Kaukauna, WI

End Table Redone

Found this end table at my favorite place to shop, ReStore. The charity is outstanding and they have fun stuff!

I found a mission style, much abused table for $20.00 that screamed take me home. So of course, I did.
end table redone
Upon further examination, I found some of the table was laminate and some was veneer. This added to the challenge.

I love when tin ceilings are reused but found that tin ceiling wall paper was much more in my budget.

After cleaning, taking apart and disposing of the 6 center end posts, I began sanding and spraying with primer. I have found this step is critical to working with laminates and veneers.
end table redone
I found some latex acrylic paint steel gray paint in our basement. It was dried to a gel but a little water and stirring got it back into great paint shape.
end table redone
Where the wood screw hiding inserts were missing, I grabbed my favorite medium and made leaves from poly clay. I wanted to make them look metal while working with the copper spray paint I selected for the top and side accents. A coat of triple thick glaze after sponging on both sides made them pretty sturdy.
end table redone
I found an old frame in my parents attic and decided to downsize it have it fit the table top better. 45 degree angles with out a miter saw is a real pain. I went with an acrylic cut to size at a local hardware store rather than safety glass. Safety glass is expensive. I painted the frame a shiny tin grey to make it pop from the dull latex grey.
end table redone
Here it is completed. The end pieces were not too bad to cut from a 1/4" piece of plywood. Sure did miss that miter saw though.

Thanks

• Tin Ceiling wall paper  (on line)
  • Spray paint, shiny
  • Acrylic sheet

• Shuganne

Why did you dispose of the 6 center end posts? They're what made it Mission style for me. I'm so glad you said it was laminate and veneer. They of course need paint to finish the table. I love the ceiling tin! What a gorgeous piece you ended up with! The little bit of your room we can see makes me wonder what the rest of the room looks like. I love your style!
    • Kaye

Well Thank You. I love restoring antiques and have had a number done as well and "antiquing" a number on my own. I could have kept the center posts, but as the piece is open, I wanted to put the panels on and paint the back of them I tried the look with just the tin on top and it didn't work for me. If you would like pictures of some of the other pieces I have done no problem. Not sure how I would do that. new to Hometalk.
  • Jewellmartin

Were you able to order only 2 yds. of wallpaper? If you ordered a roll, what did up do with the rest? I also couldn't see where the copper leaves went. The final table is unique and attractive. Thanks for sharing this. Best wishes 😇
    • Kaye

Thank you so much! No I ordered a roll - I think I found it for $30.00. I certainly didn't need that much; but can't wait to try it on the back of a book case or frames etc. It comes in white and I spray painted it copper. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The leaves went on the top of the legs were there were screw holes with only two wooden plugs remaining. Would love to see your final product.

Good Luck!
  • Lyn

What is Tin Ceiling? I've never heard of it. Great job by the way. Looks like a completely new table
    • Kaye

Hi, Tin Ceiling is just what I called the wallpaper I picked. I ordered it through a local large hardware place. I think if you Google "wallpaper tin ceiling" it should come back with something.

Thanks for noticing my work.