Old Metal File Cabinet Makeover

$30

Old Metal File Cabinet turned into Trash Bin Holder
This is a before picture of the old file cabinet.
First I cleaned it, then I painted it with my homemade Chalk Paint. 2 coats was enough for me. After, I sealed with Polycrylic.
For the bottom, I added casters into a 3" wood strip, than a used liquid nail + some screws to attach into file cabinet. 
For the top, I was going to use wood, but at Home depot there was some FREE MDF , oh yeah! I painted the MDF also with my homemade chalk paint, then I sealed it with 2 coasts of Polycrylic.
I also purchased 2 new trash bins at Target ( its a perfect fit for the drawer) Named: Curver, Mistral Pivot Lid - 7 gallons.
Voila!

Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round

• Edi12891280

What is mdf?
    • Mary Mosti

Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product made by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure. MDF is generally denser than plywood.

• Jea2293885

How do i make your chalk paint?
  • Pj Brown

What is your 'recipe' for homemade chalk paint? I like this idea for deep drawers in my kitchen, which I don't have. It would be a perfect fit for my big pots and my endless collection of plastic containers with lids. Thank you
    • Carol Dean

I found her recipe for home made chalk paint by going to the upper left corner of this site and using the search feature. :) I hope this helps.
    • Carol Dean

• Kristi Martin

that's a wonderful idea for the pots and pans with lids! I was also thinking its a good way to store appliances that aren't used as often.
    • Dpbeee2

This is brilliant! Thanks
  • Kerry Trout

As much as we use our kitchen waste basket we would be worn out leaning down to open a drawer first. This is a clever idea if you are super tight on space and need the added surface.
    • Joyce

Looking at the second picture in the post, the top of the wastebasket is exposed, so you wouldn't need to bend over to open the drawer. I am guessing that the second can in the back might be for recycling container.

• Katholc

I think this would also be great as a recycle bin.
    • Cris Darling

yes. You are correct the recycle is the back. The first one is for trash you don't have to open it all the time to throw the garbage. Lol!
    • Robin Brewer

pEven if you had to open it you could use long yard stick to put inside a handle or right into the drawer and pull out. I have a bad back so that's what I would do. You could put a command strip hanger on the inside/ outside of cabinet drill a hole in the stick and voila!!!!! Let me know what you think.

• Jjshelburne

Great idea is one for trash and one for recycle? I can see so many uses for this
    system even in the laundry.
    • Cris Darling

Yes! The back one is for recycle and the front bin for trash.
  • Bob Harrington

Do you share your recipe for your homemade chalk paint??

• Barb in Texas

There's a ton of them. I've had good luck with calcium carbonate (amazon.com) and regular latex paint. Buy it in the color you like, the CC doesn't change the color.
    • Ruby

Question? Bob Harrington do you live in Texas also. My maiden name is Harrington and I had a brother named Robert who went by Bob. He died in 2004. He lived in Houston. The name gave my heart a jolt. Miss him so much.
  • Monica

maybe i missed it, but was wondering how you attached the MDF to the top of the cabinet. Great recycling btw!!!
    • Cris Darling

You can use liquid nail. Or just leave on top if you don't want it to be permanen.
  • Jan20814456

How will you keep it from tipping forward when you have some weight in the trash bins? A filing cabinet always tips forward if there is no top drawer to counterbalance when the bottom drawer is pulled out.
    • Kalinda Smith

That's the other way around. It tips over if the top drawer is open without the bottom one open also. The top drawer being open without the bottom drawer being open makes the weight distribute to the top and forward. It would be top-heavy.
    • Kim

Nope, Janderwores is right here.
    • AM

You could fill up the back trash can first?

Wondering if the casters would make a difference in balancing out the weight. Otherwise, there's got to be an easy-ish way to attach something on the back or back-bottom that has enough weight.

• Guy

Top heavy, tall, filing cabinets tend to tip; this is neither. The weight of this metal cabinet should be more than sufficient to counter any weight you could load in the front can. My problem with this design is how do you get trash to the rear can? Do you have to bend over and pull the drawer handle each time? Cool reuse idea but not for my old back :)
    • Lynette

You can always add a .....(leg)... under the edge of the drawer.....
      could even be a wheel, as long as it keeps the height even when drawer pulled out.
    • Gar2275764

If you are concerned about tipping, you could bolt the back of cabinet to the wall. I’d put a board on the wall first and fasten the cabinet to it.
    • Mcgypsy9

Or put a block of wood between the two front wheels.

• Doree Ramilo Oostdyk

I guess you could just interchange the bins. Once the front one is full, move it to the back, and vice versa.

• Diena Cameron

I would think that once the front can is full that Cris would take it outside to the large trash can and empty it and once the recycle bin is full in the back bin, that also goes outside to the streetside recycle bins. I think it's a great idea for an upcycle of something that normally winds up in the landfill or with piles of others at the Goodwill ! Thanks Cris Darling, now I know what to do with mine 😀 I do have a question for you Chris, is the MDF on top purely for esstedics or was there a purpose that I overlooked ? Thanks again !

• Debra

What is the ratio to mix one gallon of paint?
  • Carol

What's MDF?
    • Cris Darling

mdf board, see pic.
      , This is mdf
    • Coo22662456

Medium Density Fiberboard
    • Patricia

This is a great way to dress up the aesthetics of a trash can. Love it! I could envision using this in my craft room for paper scraps. TFS

• Karen Dunnam

It's a cardboard product that's pressed into thick layers. Not suitable for damp locations.

• Kat5489525

How did you make your own chalk paint?

• Lilpixiestixxx

Calcium Carbonate{very easy to find I got huge bag on ebay for a couple dollars, or any grocery store or drug store or amazon},Paint and water makes a smooth cheaper chalk paint there are many recipes online for this method. Big Tip: always mix the CC with the water then add to your paint for a smoother chalk paint. But the CC, paint,water is what I have found works best. However there are recipes using baking soda or plaster of paris which I find doesn't mix as smoothly for me. ~smiles~ hopes this helps you.

• Theresa

How do you reinforce the drawer to accommodate the weight of the bins and bin contents?

• Lin Collins

Given how small the file cabinet is, both bins cannot be that heavy even when full. I doubt the need for reinforcement exists. Otherwise perhaps a piece of plywood cut to fit?

• Toni

Thank you, Lin Collins!! LOL @ Cth whatever... what are you throwing in your trash, CONCRETE BLOCKS?? LMAO

• Cris Darling

i didn’t have to reinforce it at all.

• Tracey Jackson

The top piece probably adds the extra weight you expect it needs, it will stop any tipping. (Some of us have used these filing cabinets for files and when you open both drawers the metal cabinet is so light that it will tip forward. )

• Crystle Gibson

How do you weight the file cabinet when the bins are full and you pull the drawer opened to empty them?

• Tracey Jackson

The top piece she added will help supply the counter weight that the light-weight metal cabinet would need.

• Melody

Good idea, but don't you have to reach all the way to the bottom to pull the trash bin out ? This is not practical, but it might work for some and look nice in an office .

• Lin Collins

Where did you get the idea one has to reach all the way to "the bottom"? Regardless, what kind of garbage can doesn't require some form of lifting or bending? This idea appears to be very practical. That it can easily be moved about a room if needed is only an added bonus.

• Tracey Jackson

I have seen others where they take out top drawer, remove the bottom. Put it back in and somehow attach top to bottom drawer. Then you have a completely closed in garbage bin. And it slides out with either handle. Its completely closed in for those w animals/little ones who may pick at trash. In that recycle they also replaced hardware to fit your style. I personally want to do that recycle, my dog is a trash picker.

• Jeannine

What is MDF?

• Cris Darling

Medium-density fibreboard,

any other type of wood also works.

• Jewellmartin

Medium grade plywood works the same. Sanding and caulking can give nice smooth edges.

• Susan Morris

You mentioned Home Made Chalk Paint.... could you share the recipe?

• Mimi

Love your idea and your presentation! I am thinking for me this would solve my recycle bin problem...neat, compact, and convenient. I could label the lids of the bins, "Plastic" and "Paper." Thank you so very much!

• Clergylady

Nice recycle idea!