6 Essential Homemade Wood Finishing Recipes

$5

I’ve rounded up my little slips of paper full of chalk paint, chalkboard paint, stain, and wood recipes to make this awesome printable for you…and me.

If you’re like me, you have to search for a homemade paint and furniture recipe every month or so. These recipes have lots of variations on the internet, most of them work great. These are just my current favorites. I’ve included these recipes: Homemade Wood Cleaner and Restorer Recipe, Chalk Paint Recipe with Plaster of Paris, Chalk Board Paint Recipe, Homemade Wood Stains, Homemade Whitewash Recipe, and a Recipe for Beeswax Furniture Polish (you can buy Beeswax for the recipe here, aff.).

I’ve included some space for notes or adjustments on each recipe and empty spots for your own recipes. Yea! Print this reference guide and hang it in your garage or work space, so you’ll never have to search for that recipe again.

Some of you might be wondering why you’d use homemade versions of paints, polishes, or cleaners. There are plenty of great and safe store bough brands out there. But sometimes it’s just easier and cheaper to make your own. Or you might want to be sure about the ingredients being used. Or maybe you just want an exact shade of chalk paint or stain that you can’t find in the stores. Well, these mixes are easy to use and now I’ve made them very handy too.

Note: Vinegar is environmentally safe and very cheap, but doesn’t work for all floors, stones or woods. Waxed floors and stones can be damaged by the acid in vinegar. And frequent vinegar use may cloud or soften the finish on some engineered and hardwood floors. Follow the manufacturers directions or research your materials before applying vinegar.
Mixing up a batch of the Homemade Wood Cleaner. Old glass jars are perfect for storage.
Mixing up a batch of my wood cleaner.
Just shake before each use. Apply with a clean cloth or rag.
An infographic showing all 6 recipes.
Download this printer-friendly PDF on my site. Just follow the link below.
Let me know if you've tried any of these or have another to recommend. I'd love to hear from you.
See how I used old cabinet doors and my Chalkboard and Chalk Paint Recipes for this Hometalk Upcycle too.

Stephanie Abbott