DIY Coastal Wreath

$30

I love my coastal style home, I just sort of wish it was actually on a coast! Today I am sharing a simple DIY coastal wreath I made for my front door that ended up hanging out by my fireplace!
diy coastal wreath
I began with two dollar store hula hoops.  My Dollar Tree sells these in two sizes, one is about 20″ across and the larger is about 24″.  I went to work with the hula hoops, my handy hot glue gun, lots of hot glue sticks and some jute craft rope.  
diy coastal wreath
I used the  hot glue to attach the rope very tightly wrapped around the hula hoops.  This is an easy project, but not necessarily a quick project.  If you have arthritis or difficulty with your wrist you may have trouble holding the rope as tightly as you need to as you glue it to the ring.  Make sure the end is securely glued to the hula hoop before you begin wrapping.  I try to have at least some glue on each wrap around the hula hoop.  
diy coastal wreath
The most annoying part of this is just the fact that you have to keep pulling your entire supply of rope through the hoop as you wrap.  It is best to keep the excess rope as compact as you can to assist in this part.  Make sure each time you wrap the rope around you push it tightly to the rope that is already wrapped.  You don’t want any of the hula hoop showing through.
diy coastal wreath
When you get all the way around,  finish by gluing the ends together tightly on the back side of the hula hoop.  Then it will be time to begin again with the second hoop.  I used approximately 47 feet of 1/2 inch jute rope for the larger of my two hula hoops.  I just purchased two of the 50 foot rolls knowing I would use the leftover on additional craft projects.
diy coastal wreath
Put the hula hoops together with the smaller one inside of the larger ones and pull them tightly together with a piece of the rope.  Hot glue the rope on the back of the hoops, wrap the rope tightly around six or seven times, gluing in a couple of spots on the back as you go.  Then glue the other end of the short rope to the back of your hula hoops.  
diy coastal wreath
This is how your project should be looking.  At this point I had not finished gluing my knot around the two hoops.  
diy coastal wreath
When your rope attaching the two hoops are secure, and the glue has dried, take a florist wire and feed it behind the knot and bend it into a circle to hang your wreath from.  
diy coastal wreath
My wire may not be pretty, but I am confident it is secure and my wreath will hold on my Command hook on my front door!  You can see I added a starfish with hot glue to the front of my wreath, but you can add any coastal embellishment.  If you are more into nautical, you could add an anchor or a little wooden sailboat!  
diy coastal wreath
We recently had our house painted and I am thrilled with my new blue door, but I am even more excited now that I have this coastal wreath to greet guests as they arrive this summer!
diy coastal wreath
My husband was washing off the front porch, so I brought this in for a little bit, now I have to decide if I like it better inside by my fireplace or on the front door!  This is an easy and project to add a bit of coastal flair to your home!  Let me know if you try this, I would love to see how yours turns out and how you embellish it if you decide to use something other than a starfish!
Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Libbie Kinne

Love this! I can't wait to copy the idea, but I'm wondering one thing. What do you think would accent this nicely if it was white rope instead of jute that is wrapped around? I like the simplicity but have a tendency to have too much fun and overdo minimalistic projects. Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Libbie

• Libbie Kinne
      20 hours ago

Great ideas! I'm planning to use the letter "K" for our last name and just add some decoration or sparkle to that. The idea during me that it corpse even be interchangeable as a decorated or customized K to swap from time to time during the warm weather months - one for the 4th of July, another for the beach or garden, etc.

• Sonia Scott

It looks like there’s “design” to wrapping the rope. Did you do something different than just wrapping?

• MaryLou Cappiello

Did you use 2 different size hula hoops. Did you buy them like that or dis you cut to make the smaller hoop? Please answer. Very interested in making this.

• MaryLou Cappiello

Thank you so much for answering. Right time of year to start looking. Can’t wait to try this!

• Dani

great idea to make .. thanks for sharing your idea..

• Alesha

I see these hula hoops as lassos. I m thinking I’d embellish with western items.