DIY Coastal Wreath

$30

I love my coastal style home, I just sort of wish it was actually on a coast! Today I am sharing a simple DIY coastal wreath I made for my front door that ended up hanging out by my fireplace!
I began with two dollar store hula hoops.  My Dollar Tree sells these in two sizes, one is about 20″ across and the larger is about 24″.  I went to work with the hula hoops, my handy hot glue gun, lots of hot glue sticks and some jute craft rope.  
I used the  hot glue to attach the rope very tightly wrapped around the hula hoops.  This is an easy project, but not necessarily a quick project.  If you have arthritis or difficulty with your wrist you may have trouble holding the rope as tightly as you need to as you glue it to the ring.  Make sure the end is securely glued to the hula hoop before you begin wrapping.  I try to have at least some glue on each wrap around the hula hoop.  
The most annoying part of this is just the fact that you have to keep pulling your entire supply of rope through the hoop as you wrap.  It is best to keep the excess rope as compact as you can to assist in this part.  Make sure each time you wrap the rope around you push it tightly to the rope that is already wrapped.  You don’t want any of the hula hoop showing through.
When you get all the way around,  finish by gluing the ends together tightly on the back side of the hula hoop.  Then it will be time to begin again with the second hoop.  I used approximately 47 feet of 1/2 inch jute rope for the larger of my two hula hoops.  I just purchased two of the 50 foot rolls knowing I would use the leftover on additional craft projects.
Put the hula hoops together with the smaller one inside of the larger ones and pull them tightly together with a piece of the rope.  Hot glue the rope on the back of the hoops, wrap the rope tightly around six or seven times, gluing in a couple of spots on the back as you go.  Then glue the other end of the short rope to the back of your hula hoops.  
This is how your project should be looking.  At this point I had not finished gluing my knot around the two hoops.  
When your rope attaching the two hoops are secure, and the glue has dried, take a florist wire and feed it behind the knot and bend it into a circle to hang your wreath from.  
My wire may not be pretty, but I am confident it is secure and my wreath will hold on my Command hook on my front door!  You can see I added a starfish with hot glue to the front of my wreath, but you can add any coastal embellishment.  If you are more into nautical, you could add an anchor or a little wooden sailboat!  
We recently had our house painted and I am thrilled with my new blue door, but I am even more excited now that I have this coastal wreath to greet guests as they arrive this summer!
My husband was washing off the front porch, so I brought this in for a little bit, now I have to decide if I like it better inside by my fireplace or on the front door!  This is an easy and project to add a bit of coastal flair to your home!  Let me know if you try this, I would love to see how yours turns out and how you embellish it if you decide to use something other than a starfish!

Chloe Crabtree

• Sonia Scott

It looks like there’s “design” to wrapping the rope. Did you do something different than just wrapping?

• Chloe Crabtree

No, I just wrapped it around. I tried to keep it tight next to the previous 'wrap'.

• MaryLou Cappiello

Did you use 2 different size hula hoops. Did you buy them like that or dis you cut to make the smaller hoop? Please answer. Very interested in making this.

• Cindy Grimes

You are very patient! You answered most of the questions in the instructions. Yes, I’m a teacher and read instructions 😆

• Diane Minnella Marretta

Can you do this with swimming noodles too?

• Linda

You would need a short piece of dowel rod to stick in the ends to keep them together. They don't want to bend in a complete circle very easily.

• Linda Abate

Absolutely love anything that has to do with a beachy look. This appears to be a simple enough project. Personally, I would hang this in my bathroom where I have my beachy look. Love this idea.

• Karen

While watching your project progress, it reminded me of a lasso lol! This could very easily be transformed from costal to western with just the addition of cowboy western accessories in place of the starfish. Either design is great!

What an awesome project. Thank you for posting it!