How to Make Repurposed Folding Steamer Garden Flowers

$4

Making fun things for the garden is one of my favourite things to so so I decided to create some repurposed garden flowers using thrifted strainer steamers.

I love these metal folding strainer steamers. Around here I find them for 25 or 50 cents each at my regular thrift stores.After I took this picture I found one more strainer to use.

Here's what they look like when they're open. They already kinda look like flowers.

The feet came off easily just by twisting them back and forth with pliers until they popped out. Some of the strainers also had a rod-type handle in the top centre spot and that came off easily too.

I spray painted the fronts...

and the backs with 4 light coats of the colours of my choice, and in the shapes that I wanted them to stay in. The spray paint helps to hold the pieces in place so they no longer move.

This is a great project for using bits of leftover spray paint.

To assemble my flowers I used screws and nuts, Marine Goop Adhesive, and stainless steel spoons that I flattened.

For the centre of this flower I used a red knob from a vintage biscuit cutter. The long screw, which I spray painted red, goes right through the cutter, the 3 strainers, and out the back.

At the back the screw is secured with a nut, and that holds the whole thing together.Here you can see that I bent the spoon glued on the back of the flower, and I used a spray painted leftover pipe for the stem.

Here's my finished trio of flowers. This is a pretty easy project with really fun results. The hardest part was the drying time for the spray paint between coats. I would just leave them and go do something else, and then do the next coat. Time to create these does not include drying time.

If you like this enjoyed this project you can find more repurposed garden art flower projects on my blog here.

To

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

• Pattie
    Pattie

i am having a hard time understanding where the flattend spoons came into play. This idea is awesome. going to be sure to buy those strainers on my flea market outings

• Mb325842153
      Mb325842153

Look at the section picture from the bottom. It is the hanger on the pipe.

• Emogene lautt
    Emogene lautt

Where did you get the pipes

• Nancy M
      Nancy M

I think I would use PVC pipe - it is so easy to work with and inexpensive!

• Wease De Haven Rainey
    Wease De Haven Rainey

I can't wait for spring to make these...thank you so much for sharing.

• Char
    Char

I just bought a couple of these at Goodwill 2weeks ago for this exact reason. Soooo cute!

• Elaine
    Elaine

Can hardly wait for lock down to be over so I can get started on this fun idea.