DIY Concrete Planter

$10

Concrete DIY's are all the rage ...I've seen a million DIY tutorials on this but they always required cutting cardboard, getting different shaped containers, etc. I wanted to simplify it as much as I could but be able to keep the succulents in there long term without adding rocks. AKA I wanted a hole on the bottom so this is what I came up with!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
diy concrete planter
Complete list of materials is below. I used Quikrete and water for my concrete mixture.
diy concrete planter
Take your exacto knife and make a "X" at the bottom of your regular size cups.
diy concrete planter
Slide your straws through.
diy concrete planter
Push them to the bottom.
diy concrete planter
Seal that with hot glue - this will create the hole at the bottom of the planter to be able to drain the water.
diy concrete planter
Make a "X" on the bottom of your Dixie cups.
diy concrete planter
Pour your concrete in and shake it to settle it.
diy concrete planter
Once you tap it enough and the air bubbles are out, slide your Dixie cup right onto that straw and push it all the way into the other cup with concrete until concrete is level to the brim.
diy concrete planter
It should look something like this! Now depending on the size that you choose - you will have to let the concrete dry completely. Mine took about 1 1/2 days!
diy concrete planter
You can leave them as is or paint them! Totally your call.
diy concrete planter
I used painters tape and messed around with the designs but possibilities are endless (per usual with DIY's). I painted them different colors and added some spots with a smaller paint brush!
diy concrete planter
Since there is a hole in the bottom, you can plant your succulents without adding rocks but feel free to add them if you are concerned.
diy concrete planter
And voila! I mean C O M E O N with these. I made these are thank you gifts for my first DIY workshop that I hosted over the weekend and the attendees loved them!
Check out the full tutorial on my YouTube channel where I post two to three DIY's A WEEK! Yes you read that right - there is something for everyone on there. Be sure to show some love and subscribe while you're there.

• Concrete  (Hardware store)
  • Dixie cups  (Grocery store)
  • Regular party cups  (99 Cent Store)

Rachel Metz

• Barbara Pearl

Can the concrete be colored? I would like to try some natural-looking colors like a subtle red or black.
  • Dee

Very impressed with these pots. They looked pretty simple with your photos and video! Could you use plaster of Paris instead of concrete ???? 👍😍

• Sharonsgarden

I don’t believe you can. Plaster of Paris will dissolve over time with watering.

• Kat Rogers

SO ADORABLE, and I Love the design you painted on them!

They look quite professional, yet you cannot beat the simplicity of making them. And I LOVE that you can make a bunch at one time... The work involved to set up & mix ingredients is the same for one as it is for 10~20, SO TO ME IT'S A NO~BRAINER~ MAKE 20... OR 30!

Thanks for sharing this Fun Project!

• Sharonsgarden

For most cement products if you place them in plastic, it improves strength.

• Sharonsgarden

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear on this. No, you wrap whatever you have made in plastic, like a plastic garbage bag. This keeps the concrete moister longer and improves strength. Most Concrete reaches its full strength in 28 days. Smaller items probably don’t need to be wrapped long. It probably depends on the cement you are using.