Refuse Bin Facelift

$10

This project I did isnt really a diy makeover, it's more of a facelift. Our refuse bins are collected 1 a week and then the streets bins are all put together and our son has the duty of identifying and collecting ours. This usually comes with a complaint of them all being black and with the same markings. so I decided to give ours a facelift. really for quick and easy identifying..................and it just looks so much nicer.
refuse bin facelift
This is what our bins look like. Plain and rather boring......... I marked the area I wanted to paint and lightly sanded it down. This will give the undercoat something to grip on seing as though the bins are plastic. I used a white chalk paint for the undercoat, as it sticks to virtually anything. Left the undercoat to dry properly. I sketched my scene and then used acrylic paint to paint it. When finished I sealed it with a clear lacquer. The only costs I really incurred was the paint used (which I already had).
refuse bin facelift
refuse bin facelift
refuse bin facelift
I think this will make it alot easier to identify our bin. I didn't paint the whole bin as the truck lifts it from the back to tip. I'll see this week how it stands up to the tip. I'm happy with the end product.

• Refuse bin
  • Chalk paint
  • Sanding paper

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Being a company owns the bin, did you get permission to paint on the bin? I would hate to waste time on this only to find out I over stepped.
    • Kathy

I think it will beauty up your neighborhood. Hope all your nei ghbors appreciate it. I paint also and this gave me an idea but not so elaborate.

• Glo23345606

What is chalk paint? You did a beautiful job! I'd be afraid someone would take off with it or the garbage truck would scratch it.
    Anyway, very pretty! I'm an artist too, but I 'me never thought of this!
    • RC Leach

If my garbage can looked half as nice, I'd have to come up with a new name for it! Maybe I could call it my "Beauty Bin". Anyway, it's beautiful, and I'd let you paint my can anytime you want!
  • Arlene

What is your address? I want to come get that trash can.
    • Samantha

Lol Arlene, considering we're quit a distance apart I think my bin is safe for now

• Susanpat

I will try this. Maybe stars, fireworks, boats on water watching. Endless possibilities.

• Nursejnm

You are incredibly talented! It's too beautiful for a trash can. Gorgeous!