Jamala W
Jamala W
  • Whitmire, SC

DIY Cobblestone Path

$200

Everyone use a particular path to walk in our yard. After years of trying to get grass to grow, we had no such luck. Since I couldn't get grass to grow along this path area, I decided to create a cobblestone path.
diy cobblestone path
Using a shovel, first we drew the outline of the pathway, and using a spade shovel we dug up the grass and a top layer of dirt.
diy cobblestone path
Once all the dirt was removed, we then spread the sand on top of the path, making sure there is a heavy coat of sand
diy cobblestone path
Added the sakrete to the wheel barrow and mixed it with water to get the consistency of heavy cake batter. Stir to get completely dissolved making sure you scrap around to blend the cement. Pay attention to not let it harden.
diy cobblestone path
Pour cement into the molds and smooth the top layer using a trowel. Allow to sit for about 5-10 mins before you remove the mold. Smooth top surface again
diy cobblestone path
Allow to dry/harden overnight. Spread more sand on top to fill in the spaces and finished it off with the gravel rocks. Using a broom, sweep the rocks around to fill in the gaps
diy cobblestone path
diy cobblestone path
diy cobblestone path
Planted border grass to outline the path shape
diy cobblestone path
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 07, 2018 11:18 PM - More info
Jamala W

3 questions on this project
  • Did you use anything to separate the gravel and the grass like a metal divider or anything? I have dogs and I can totally see them running and kicking gravel into the grass! Or possibly grass growing into the gravel over time? But I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! When I have some extra time on my hands would love to give this a try!

• My sister in law didn’t some paths around her house with that type mold. I wasn’t around when it happened, but it has held up well. I really like the look of yours. Did you put some landscaping fabric down under it to keep the weeds out?

• Tammie Jaumotte
    Jul 19, 2018

I used the molds last year using quickrete mix.I poured sand around the paths.What I noticed this spring is the sections of the path are loose and crumble. What did I do wrong?And what do I do now to keep the path intact now.

• Teresa
      Jul 24, 2018

Excellent comments. I am currently using a mold to replace my entire back sidewalk (and probably the side one - at a later time). I've only worked with concrete for my deck footings. Thankfully my neighbor has an electric concrete mixer, which makes the mixing so much easier.