DIY Cobblestone Path

$200

Everyone use a particular path to walk in our yard. After years of trying to get grass to grow, we had no such luck. Since I couldn't get grass to grow along this path area, I decided to create a cobblestone path.
Using a shovel, first we drew the outline of the pathway, and using a spade shovel we dug up the grass and a top layer of dirt.
Once all the dirt was removed, we then spread the sand on top of the path, making sure there is a heavy coat of sand
Added the sakrete to the wheel barrow and mixed it with water to get the consistency of heavy cake batter. Stir to get completely dissolved making sure you scrap around to blend the cement. Pay attention to not let it harden.
Pour cement into the molds and smooth the top layer using a trowel. Allow to sit for about 5-10 mins before you remove the mold. Smooth top surface again
Allow to dry/harden overnight. Spread more sand on top to fill in the spaces and finished it off with the gravel rocks. Using a broom, sweep the rocks around to fill in the gaps
Planted border grass to outline the path shape
Jamala W

• Tammie Jaumotte

I used the molds last year using quickrete mix.I poured sand around the paths.What I noticed this spring is the sections of the path are loose and crumble. What did I do wrong?And what do I do now to keep the path intact now.

• Teresa

Excellent comments. I am currently using a mold to replace my entire back sidewalk (and probably the side one - at a later time). I've only worked with concrete for my deck footings. Thankfully my neighbor has an electric concrete mixer, which makes the mixing so much easier.

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

My sister in law didn’t some paths around her house with that type mold. I wasn’t around when it happened, but it has held up well. I really like the look of yours. Did you put some landscaping fabric down under it to keep the weeds out?

• Did you use anything to separate the gravel and the grass like a metal divider or anything? I have dogs and I can totally see them running and kicking gravel into the grass! Or possibly grass growing into the gravel over time? But I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! When I have some extra time on my hands would love to give this a try!

• Jamala W

😁😁😁thank you sooo much. Im glad to have inspired you..I appreciate you reading..

• Amber

OMGOSH!!! Girl!!! You have some good knees (and even better taste) AND PATIENCE!!! It turned out SOOOO GOOOD!!! We did this with some beautiful slabs of limestone from a house they were tearing down. Omgosh...it was so pretty with all those greens and blues coming through..eeek! We (and when I say, “we,” I mean the hubs😂) decided to build an pergola over the path and beautiful Japanese lilac bushes around it and so on. AND THEN....we moved. You don’t know HOW hard it was to leave that behind. Ugh. SO much blood, sweat and tears. Although your mold does seem to be a little easier, I know you worked really hard on it! BEEN THERE! Anyway, I love it and you did SUCH a great job. 😍