How To Paint A Floor With A Tile Stencil

$100

Patterned tile floors are super trendy and also super pricey. Don't toss your tiled dreams aside before reading this painted floor tutorial! This project is an easy and affordable way to give your flooring a stylish look.

We'd like to introduce Erika, a creative DIYer from Cutting Edge Stencils. Erika had builder beige tiles. She longed for a pretty patterned floor similar to the ones she had seen in her Instagram feed. Since her budget was tight, Erika decided to paint and stencil her builder beige tiles.
She gathered up all of the materials for this project. Let's walk through all of the steps for this super easy project.
The first thing Erika did was clean her floor using Savogran Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) to ensure there wasn't any debris. She followed the instructions on the TSP packaging for cleaning.
Erika used blue painter's tape to tape along the edges of the floor. This would ensure she did not get paint onto her trim. Once the floor had been properly cleaned, Erika primed it using Stix Waterborne Bonding Primer by Insl-x. She used a foam roller to apply the paint and a paint brush to paint along the edges.

Cleaning and prepping the floor is key to completing a painted floor that will last for years.
Two coats do the trick! STIX primer is perfect for a project like this. It adheres to the tile and provides a great base for painting and stenciling.
After the primer was dry, Erika applied her base coat of paint. She painted the base coat using Benjamin Moore Ben flat in Navajo White.
Now she was ready to start stenciling. Erika chose our Calista Tile Stencil. Since her existing tiles were about 12 inches, Erika used the Large stencil pattern because it fit perfectly over her tile.
Erika sprayed the back of the stencil with repositionable spray adhesive. We like Stick It Spray It repositionable spray adhesive. You could use any respositionable spray adhesive that is typically found in a craft store like Michaels.
Erika placed the stencil pattern on top of the tile. She rolled her dense foam roller into the paint (Benjamin Moore New York State of Mind). She made sure the roller was evenly coated and then rolled off excess paint onto a piece of paper towel. Erika then painted the stencil pattern with the roller.

After each section was complete, Erika would un-tape the stencil and reposition so she could paint all of her tiles.

She applied two coats of blue paint over each stencil pattern. The paint dried rather quickly so this did not slow her down!
Once the entire floor was stenciled, Erika applied a two coats of Varethane waterbased polyurethane to increase durability.
Give the top coats time to dry and then step back to admire your beautiful work! We think she did an amazing job transforming builder beige tiles using a stencil and paint.  Don't you agree?

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

To see more: http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/calista-tile-stencil-backsplash-cement-tiles-stencils.html

• Mac29339487

Hi
    looks amazing! I was just thinking I'd love to redo my tile and saw ur post.
    how long did this project take you? The area I would want to do is entryway while everyone is at school/work.
    Thanks for posting
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Macbelieves, It does take a couple of days just because you need to give it time to dry in between coats. So you could prime and paint the base coat on day one and stencil/clear coat on day two. The clear coat which gives it durability will need time to dry.
  • Rosie Walsh

Are these paints and primer water-based?
  • Jill Rohner

How do you clean this floor? I have several dogs, need to mop floor frequently.
  • Carol Hawthorne

can this be applied to a vinly floor
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes you can paint a vinyl floor with a stencil!
    • Pam

Good morning, Cutting Edge Stencils. I have used your stencils and love them. For my own clarification, the tiles in this tutorial...are they porcelain or ceramic tiles, stone tiles, what composition exactly? I have a marble tile floor that I don't really care for and another porcelain tile floor that I would like to change and would like to try stencilling. I don't think the marble tile would be a good candidate for paint but really want to know about the porcelain tiles. Also have a stone tile floor that I would like to paint but am wary of heavy use wear and tear that would scratch and ruin paint. Would more coats of sealer be advisable to guard against scratching by the dog and heavy foot traffic?
  • Lorna Larsen Walter

It is beautiful, but how long would it last on a well travelled floor?
  • Larae Tharp-Westlake

Would this work on tile countertops?

• D WatkinsAtcheson

I would LOVE to do this on my foyer, but it's "ceramic tile" and I desperately want to paint it. I under stand that ceramic tile is like painting glass. Any suggestions?
    • KKAbsherwrites

The stix primer or zinsser's cover stain would work well on ceramic as they are bonding primers. Cover stain even primes glass.
  • Michele Felmingham

Would this be OK on bathroom floors?
    • Deb C

Have seen other projects and there were many done on bathroom floors.
  • Karen Thompson

How did you prevent paint from getting on grout?
  • Carol Butler

Will this stand up to kitchen traffic?
  • Dre5131283

Would this work on lineoleum?
    • KKAbsherwrites

Yes. Prep and topcoat are key. My painted floors have lasted 5 years in heavy traffic.
  • Cathy Ax

Can this be done to bathroom wall tiles? and/or shower area walls?
  • Nan7136938

I have small parquet wood tiles. Would this treatment work for those?
    • Douglas Robert

No.
    • KKAbsherwrites

Actually, Nancy. This treatment would work. Clean the parquet floors well and vacuum and vacuum again. You can use the Stix primer or use Zinssers Cover Stain as both bong to anything without sanding. They are oil based so ventilation is necessary. Cutting edge stencils make smaller stencils so use those to cover each square or use the big ones. Choice is yours, but know the parquet pattern will show thru. Verathane's poly is water based so it won't yellow or crack over time but will protect the floors for many years.
    • Nan7136938

Thank you!
  • Audrey Darnell

I see your stencil cutouts went all the way to the outer edges of the stencil, how do you keep from getting paint on the next tile but make sure all cutouts are painted in?
    • Pam

Good morning, Audrey. I wondered the same thing but if you go back to the picture where they are spraying adhesive on the stencil you can see that the stencil solid edge is quite a bit larger than the cut outs and protects the previously painted tile edges.
  • Dody Sebald Myers

Yes, beautiful! But really need to know if this holds up on a busy and well travelled kitchen floor....and a yellow lab whose favorite room is the kitchen
  • Pat28213811

Can you just repaint the time changing only the color? Mine is white, would like to tone it down.
  • NHn13846589

I bought a mobile home and the kitchen floor is a disaster is there anyway to update it without having to replace it, it's old linoleum?

• Genie

In my opinion, you could paint your floor; no problem. When I bought my fixer-upper house, there were wants and needs. Too many things to fix for a bathroom remodel. I used Kilz primer and Sears Porch and Floor paint on a textured vinyl that was really ugly. It held up very well; I only had to touch it up in front of the toilet once in about three years. After that, it was finally time for my bathroom remodel!
    • NHn13846589

Thank you I'll check into it and see if it will work for me as well.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes you can follow the same steps to paint old linoleum!
  • Rob29328566

Hi,

Congratulations on your beautiful new floor! I have a concrete floor that was painted eight years ago with an epoxy paint.

Do you think I can paint it using the same primer, paint, and polyurethane that you used in your project?

Thank you.
  • Jst27646197

Was the stencil cut down to fit against the wall? I looked closely at the photo and can't tell.
    • Li

The stencil was kept large because if she had cut it down , the paint would have gotten into the grout line
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

The stencils are pliable so we were able to bend it to fit in the areas that we needed.
  • Sta26602640

Can you do this over a Pergo floor?
  • Diana

can this be done to small tiles the floor is from the 1950
  • Chl30055404

Can you do it over ceramic tile?
  • Chris Greene

Can this be done to a plywood floor without the tile?
    • Anne Copeland

I have plywood floors too in my mobile home. My thought is after the cleaning stage, use a good wood sealer. Then after the other stages are done, use polyurethane or a similar excellent sealer for wood again and it should work. I am going to try it on mine. I was looking for a good cheap solution.
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes, we have had fans successfully stencil plywood flooring.
    • Chris Greene

What about painting a floor that has high traffic with a power chair? Would the chair scar up the paint job?
  • John

Could this technique be used on a poured concrete floor that used to have carpeting on it. Carpet had to be discarded after a flood.
  • Gunilla

What do you clean your floors with after this process not to ruin your work???
  • Bil9122116

What did you do for the grout lines
    • Pamela Rhodes

It looks like the white base paint is the grout lines. The stencil is over just the original tile part?
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

The tile stencil comes with a grout line stencil that can be used to create a colored grout line or a grout line if you are stenciling on plywood.
  • Betty Miller

Will this work if the tile is shiney?
  • Debra Marlow Rowe

Did you use a new stencil for each tile? How much do the stencils cost? You did an absolutely amazing job...I can not imagine anything turning out better.
  • B.c30091353

I have Armstrong commercial linoleum tille. Hate it. Has splinter cracks. Can I use your technique. Stencil will vary. I need to have it watertight have dog who Pees. Is there a stronger type of paint. Was going to completely redo
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi B. You can use any type of paint although we like Ben by Benjamin Moore but the poly is what is going to seal it. The poly is the final layer and keeps your stencil protected. Use a couple of coats to protect your work.
  • Jean

I'm wondering about how slick that would be when using polycoat?
    It looks great though!
  • Cathy

This was done on stone or ceramic tile correct?

• Jill Mitchell

This is wonderful. Thank you. Could I do this over vinyl?
  • Cdemby Tony

It looks fantastic (what patience you have). Does the paint come off, rub off or scuff as people and kids walk, jump, on it, over time?
  • Carol A. Kaine

My kitchen floor is linoleum. Would this work on linoleum floors as well? It is all white with large squares.
  • Naga

can you do this on concrete floor?
  • Dar

Can you paint a tile floor just white, my floor is little bitty tiles and I have always hated them and cannot keep grout clean
    • Suzie

I don't see why not - you would have to do every stage except the actual stencil, so paint then poly to seal but it should give you what you want...
  • Gra10046208

How long do you have to let each coat dry before you can carefully walk on it? I would love to do my one and only bathroom but will also need to be able to use it. Would it leave any marks if I stepped on it after each step is dry? Should I maybe put a bath mat down first or would that be worse?
    • Pam Duggin

I would paint in one tile or so at a time, to allow access to the tub and toilet.
  • Patti Harrington

That's beautiful! Can that be done on a linoleum floor? I took the old carpet up and would like to paint the linoleum.
  • Norma Mingoia

Do you have to wash/clean the stencil after you paint each tile?
  • Kari E Wiseman

Did you clean the grout first? Does painting the grout cause a problem later if its still dirty?
  • Carey

Is this project done on ***vinyl*** tile or ***ceramic*** tile? It would be so helpful to have this kind of information.
  • Lll8541150

Thank you, this right on time. My kitchen floor needs some attention. Please, is this tough ware paint ?
    • Rj

I don't care how tough the paint is it will eventually wear off. Maybe just maybe if you only wore stocking feet and don't have kids or chairs that slide on it you maybe will get 5 years out of it.
  • Pat Farmer

My question is can this be done to old wood floors?
  • Susann Ambrecht

Any special floor washing techniques to keep floor looking new????
    • Yylowinger

There were 2 other questions on how to clean and both answers were Pine Sol.
  • Nilaboone2005

i would love to do something like this to my kitchen tile table, can this be done the same way??...if any one can give my any pointers on how to do this for a kitchen table I would greatly appreciate it. thanks
  • Igor

Curious-- do you stencil every other tile to allow to dry? and also does the stencil need to be wiped off in between each time applied to floor?

• Gabi

Can this be done on porcelain tile or just ceramic?
  • Marie

How well is it holding up? that would be my concern. It looks gorgeous.
  • Amanda Bowman

Does the paint fade overtime?
  • Kristin

Would this work on linoleum tile, or is it only for ceramic? Would love a similar money saving project for my ugly bathroom tile!
  • Kelly Turcotte

Our bathroom is from the late 70s. The floor is the tiny tile squares (makes me think of the tile back-splashes people are doing) in different shades of light blue. The walls are also smooth/shiny ceramic tiles that go half way up the wall in light blue, but larger than the floor tiles. And the top of the walls are wood paneling. What can I do for the tile portion of the walls/floor to update them?
  • Tiffany Cuff

Can this be done to a tile floor in front of a fireplace?
  • Cme18203645

How do you clean it with the polyurethane?
  • Could my dogs scratch this floor?
  • Joan Smith

Hi, Can this project be done on vinyl tiles in the kitchen?
  • Klum

Is this suitable for a pre-existing ceramic tile floor- pale color with very light texturing (absolute h-ll to keep looking good as every crumb shows).
  • Rebecca Fenley

I have shied away from using stencils, but this may be the needed inspiration. It turned out lovely!! One (hopefully not too dumb) question. Did you clean the paint off the stencil after each use?
    Thank you for sharing!
  • Lynda L Tackett

Wonderful!! Will it hold up to heavy wear?
  • Dee Hawk

Would it be possible to paint the tile before laying them? I have to replace tile in a small bathroom and I love this idea.
  • Patti McCurlie

Can you do this on (ugly) cork tiles?
  • Betty Davies

In the project "How to paint a floor with a tile stencil", is it OK to paint on a high traffic area of the home?
  • Ake10508069

Wow! It looks fantastic! Does it say how long it will hold up?

Angela
  • Barbara Jacquemotte

Can I follow your directions for a chipping away painted cement slab?
  • Rockie LeVac

What about the paint is it flat, eggshell, satin.
    Also the polyurethane what is it. Flat, eggshel and so on?
  • Dcl26293997

How long with all the wear and tear in a kitchen would the paid last?

• Annie Cooley

My bath has a heated floor. Can i paint it?
  • Ginny

I am going to stencil 6x6 white tiles with the medieval stencils for putting on my stair risers. Since I'm using white tiles to begin with, can I skip the step where you paint the tiles white with the Benjamin Moore Navaho White?
    • Erica Gott

I haven't done this before, and I'm not completely sure, but I think you need the primer so any paint will stick, and the primer is meant to be covered with paint, so no, you can't skip the step of putting a base layer of paint down before stenciling.
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Ginny, You will still need to prep the tiles with white primer. This will help adhere the stencil paint to the tile.
  • Karmen Fowler Raper

Can this process be used for particle board floors? We removed old carpet and our budget is tight so I'm trying to redo the floors as inexperienclay as possible.
    • Martha McKnight

Yes,definitely!
      MUCH better using this technique on sub floor (your sub floors aren't "particle board" they should be 1/2" -3/4" plywood ),Perfect for this application.
      Painting over tiles will NEVER hold up !! No matter how much you prep and seal .. they
      scratch and then start to peel .
      NEVER again !!
      A non glazed,slightly porous surface is the way to go for this technique .
  • Marsha Su Scott

Can this technique be used for shower towels.
  • Laurie Ceason Lane

Definitely intrigued. How is it removed if a change is wanted? Once tile is painted must it always be repainted?
  • JoM99

How did you stencil where there was a half tile near a wall or tub?
    • Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi, The stencils are pliable and will work in tight spaces. Use a stencil brush for a tight area near a wall or tub.
  • Barb Spargur

Can something like this be done on linoleum floors?
  • Austin Michael Schultz

Does this scratch easily? I have two dogs wondering if this will hold up against the beast.
    • Karin Taylor

The Varathane is great.. I did three coats and it is virtually scratch proof for toenails... of course, you need to keep their nails short anyway!
  • Dawn Hansen Bemis

Does anyone know if you can do this on regular wood flooring. Like the plywood underlayment?
  • Joan Minear

Can this be done on shower wall tile??
  • Rosy

What size is the room and how long did it take?
  • Robin Hardee Bennette

Will this technique also work on vinyl floors?
  • Darlene Williman

Did you have to seal it with anything to protect the paint from washing and everyday wear?
    • Krystal M Vermillion

The article states, "Once the entire floor was stenciled, Erika applied two coats of Varethane waterbased polyurethane to increase durability."
  • Cindi B

What's your question?is it possible to create a floor that looks like wood?
  • Meq31524974

can anything be done on a tile floor with the tiny chicklet tiles
  • June Gay Jackson

We have a few chips in our tiles. Is there a product to fill in those chips before starting the process?
  • Tanner Lab

I see that you taped the stencil down as well as using the adhesive. I assume that is so the over roll won't go on to the next tile. My question is, how long did you let each tile dry before placing the tape on top of the painted tile? Did you leave the stencil on the tile, let it dry and then add a 2nd coat b4 moving on? or is it easy to reposition the stencil for a 2nd coat?
  • Nadine Chancey-Schofill

Why would I need the stencil brushes when the pattern is rolled on?
  • Trish Fennell

Could you do a bathroom with this? Is it water resistant?
    • J Elaine Baker

Just make your last coat Water-Lok finish so it can withstand humidity and not peal.
  • Barb Warren

Can you do it around a gas fireplace tile?
  • Molleigh Green

Can you do this to shower tiles?
  • Elva Henry

Would you have to primer on already white tiles? Thanks
  • Yylowinger

I would love to do this to my kitchen that has the same exact tiles, But, I can't find anywhere how to clean a polyurathaned floor? Do you clean it like a wood floor?
  • Yylowinger

Several comments and questions implied that this was not done on "ceramic" tile. Is the floor ceramic tile?? Or ?
  • Rose Lucht

wow I love this. After a while does the paint sort of scratch off?
  • Shari

I rent. The bathroom floor is tiny squares not even 1/2” wide. My first question is do you think I could do this on these tiny tiles and secondly, how do I remove it when I move out? Thanks
    • Christina Cernosek

Beautiful job but I must say it is very difficult to keep a white tile floor with white grout clean especially with kids and pets.
  • Sherry Garvin

Can this be used on a brick floor.
  • Kathy Gabbert-Bennett

I love it!! I have Linoleum in my bathroom, would similar technique work as well?
  • Sandy Thompson

Do you think this would work on my concrete garage floor?
    • Tre Turner

I don’t think it would work first time you drove hot tires over it it would destroy the paint.
  • Louise Beattie

My floor tiles are not smooth on the surface they have randomly uneven surface so would this still work ?
  • Joyce Hamilton

How can the paint not wear off with all the walking on it?
    • Melissa Kradas

You might want to use three coats of Varethane. This protects the paint from wearing off.
  • Anwar

My tile already white do I still need to paint it whi?
    • Nicole McCrea Kramer

It depends if you want a solid back ground or not. If you like the marbling then keep it. If you have any extra tiles you should stencil it and see it you liked the marbling with it.
  • LW

Love this! Actually trying it now. On our second coat of primer. Question--do you leave the stencil down until the paint dries or pull it up as soon as you roll? Thanks!
  • MA

How did you handle the cut tiles around the edges of the floor? The ones that aren't full size? And the tiles along the trim? Did you have to cut the stencil? It looks great!
  • Jacque Abell

Will this work on linolium?
  • Sandi

How does it hold up to scuffs, pets, and furniture? I need something durable. Thx.
    • Mary Theresa Vona

I'm interested too! It has to wear off eventually if you allow people to wear shoes in the house.
  • Alicem51

will this work on basement cement floors???
  • Launa

Would this work on marble tiles?
  • Cindy

How long has it been since you painted your tile? Is it holding up or does the paint where off
  • Cindy Butts

Is the floor ceramic tile or vinyl floor?
  • Theresa Vawter

Will this work on vinyl flooring

• Theresa Vawter

Will this work on vinyl flooring

• Theresa Vawter

Will this work on vinyl flooring

• Jessica

Will this work on shower tile?

• Hun788484

Does floor feel sticky after it dries? Like if you stand on it for a while, do shoes want to stick to it?

• Hun788484

• Sally

Can you do this on vinyl flooring that looks like tile?

• Sally

• Sally

• Cheryle Skaggs

How is the wear and tear on a high traffic floor?

• Cheryle Skaggs

• Yvonne McDougald

Can laminate floors be redesigned too?

• Rip

I'm no expert on laminate painting, but I have done tiles and cement floors, I would suggest light sanding to take the sheen off or even a self etching primer. But again that's just my opinion hope it helps.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes!! Rip is correct it can be done on laminate!! Sand it first and you MUST prime your floors prior!! And then when finished you need to seal if with a water-based polyurethane!

• TJ Harvey

How's it holding up? Beautiful job.

• Becky

Any issues with heat if I wanted to do this around a gas fireplace? Thanks.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Nope! Be sure to seal it with a water-based polyurethane! So many people stencil their fireplaces (tile and surround) as well as floors beneath the gas fireplace!

• Cutting Edge Stencils

• Heather Rose Vanegas

Hi There great Job !

Does it hold up well to cleaning products or what do you use to clean your floors?

• Donna

I would love to do around my fireplace do I need special heat paint?

• Jo Williamson

What kind of paint to use on a Formica kitchen table

• Betty

Hi...this looks beautiful but are there any different stencil choices??

Betty

• Vicki Pelfrey

I have 4” x 4” tile. Do u have any stencils for a bath floor that are this size?

also best paint to use on bath floor?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

We custom size almost all of our stencils. Give us a call at 201.828.9146 and our customer service team can help you order.

Any Benjamin Moore matte or flat paint will work- just be sure to seal it with a water based polyurethane when complete

• Jackie P

I am painting 4x4 tile in the bathroom, using your instructions. Do I need to put a top coat on the wall tile?

• Creatively Living

How has this held up?

• Kimberly Fullerton Buttke

I have vinyl tile would this work?

• Tomy T Hughes

My tiles are 12x12 - how large are the stencils?

• Belinda Grisham

Iwant to know if you can paint bathroom tile live in a old bathroom bathroom how thank you

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes you can. We recommend 2-3 coats of STIX Primer before you base coat your floor. (Pro tip: you can get the primer tinted the color you would like to use for your base coat.) You can used any water based paint, acrylic or latex paint for the stencil. We generally use Benjamin Moore paint! After the paint is dried, we recommend sealing it with Polyurethane to increase it's lifespan.

• Susan Del Valle-Mead

Hello, I have an old ugly kitchen counter tiles. Would this type of paint work for the kitchen counter. Too expensive to replace.

• Deborah L. Ingalls

How does the floor hold up to cleaning/mopping? A white floor with kids/dogs would never hold up in my house or remain that beautiful. I can’t imagine that after time it would hold up to the rigors of cleaning, kids, and dogs and still last forever. That is what holds me back from even attempting to do the project in my own home. I’m afraid it won’t last and after the expense of all the products used, would hold it up to the demands of my household? Anyone done this in their own homes that would care to share their success/failures?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Its important to prep your floors correctly!! If you follow these steps it will absolutely hold up for years to come! We recommend 2-3 coats of STIX Primer before you base coat your floor. (Pro tip: you can get the primer tinted the color you would like to use for your base coat.) You can used any water based paint, acrylic or latex paint for the stencil. We generally use Benjamin Moore paint! After the paint is dried, we recommend sealing it with Polyurethane to increase it's lifespan. 2-3 coats of this sealer is all you need to keep it from wearing and scratching

• Sue Taylor Wilkes

Can you do this over linoleum or nonceramic tile?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

yes!

• Dpn33955183

18 or 19 yrs ago, my mom bought a house w/old, dingy white linoleum tiles w/a pattern etched on them, in the bathrooms. She didnt like them, so after cleaning them really well, she painted them w/2 coats of "1-2-3 Primer". The pattern shown through as a white on white, & to this day they are still beautiful!

• Jun34031089

What would you do to work around the toilet?

• Anita Kramer

Use a 2nd stencil or make one buy copying on card stock. Line up pattern, cut around the toilet. Then go back and take an exacto knife and cut out pattern on copy. Use same prep as above, stencil around the toilet.

• Faith Robinson

I have removed all flooring and walk on the concrete slab. Can this be done on concrete?

• Joni White

Would like to see other stencil designs. Can I get the website?

• Stephanie

Can I paint vinyl flooring?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Stephanie! You can definitely paint and stencil over vinyl flooring. We recommend priming the floor before stenciling so the paint sticks, then sealing it with polyurethane.

• Julie Ann Nielsen

Does it work on vinyl?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Julie, you can stencil on vinyl. All you would need to do before stenciling is prime and basecoat your floor. Once the stenciling is complete, apply 2-3 coats for years of durability.

• Victoria

How do you clean a floor stenciled like this without ruining the stencil art?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Victoria! Once you are done stenciling you apply 2-3 coats of polyurethane to seal it. This allows your new stenciled floor to withstand cleaning products that can be used on it. We HIGHLY recommend not using cleaning products with acetone or alcohol in it. It will strip away the surface and cause the paint to come up.

• Monica Nichols Hughes

Polyurethane will yellow, if you have white in your stencil I would use polyacrylic, it doesn't yellow.

• Farah El Sabaa

Does it fade if i drop water or clean the floor ??

• AJ

How do you keep them clean without taking off the paint? Or how often do you have to seal it with cleaning and traffic -it would be in my entry way

• Cutting Edge Stencils

You only need to seal it once. We recommend 2-3 coats of water based polyurethane. This will withstand against high traffic for years and years! You can clean it just like a regular floor! Just stay away from any alcohol cleaning products!

• She34338776

Can this be done on either ceramic tiles or the vinyl adhesive tiles?

• Lisa Blandino

Is it or can it be made non-skid?

• Ivan Stavros

How did you do partial tiles along the edges without ruining the stencil?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

You just slightly bend it up with wall by pushing down on it with your fingers! The stencils are very flexible so you won't ruin it... OR you can buy a second stencil and just cut it to fit the half tiles along the wall.

• Sue Conner

Can this be done on slick tile on a counter top

• Cutting Edge Stencils

You would have to sand it first otherwise the paint will not adhere. So sand it down, then prime the surface and then you can begin to stencil. Last you must seal it with 2-3 coats of water based polyurethane!

• Sabrina Barrett

How does it hold up over time?

• User

How much time do you have to wait at the finish the project and it applies the sealing product ?

• Josephine Diaz

Can you do this on bathroom tiles. I have a bathroom wall to wall with old tiles and i hate them. They are in good shape.

• Freddie55

You probably want them to have some texture or slightly rough to hold the paint better than the slick tiles.

• Ruby Loyd

Can you do this to tile counter tops?

• Kathalean Cook

Does this work on Porcelain tile

• Stephanie Ward

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE SEAMS SO THEY DON'T HAVE THE BLUE PAINT ?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Are you referring to the grout lines? Our stencil is made so that it doesn't get paint on the grout line if you order the right size

• Janet Sherman

Does it work on vinyl

• Nancy Fox

Is that the only stencil pattern you’ve got?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

No, we have over 1000 different designs from floors, walls, craft, furniture, and pillow stencils! Link to our website is on our profile

• Patti

Doesn't walking on it cause it to wear off?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Nope once you seal it with 2-3 coats of water based polyurethane it will last you for years and years!

• Kav27210157

Could I prep my backyard patio concrete and do this Calista "Tile" pattern?

• Ally Ranier

Can you elaborate on drying times between coats in each step? The Stix Waterborne Bonding Primer by Insl-x says 3 hours between coats and then days to "cure". The paint and then the polyurethane?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes you must wait a full 24 hours after all of your coats of primer! THEN you can begin to paint and base coat. The matte or flat paint should dry almost instantly. Wait another 12-24 hours and you can put your first coat of poly! let that dry for 12-24 hours and you can paint coat number 2!

• Ally Ranier

THANK YOU!

• Rhonda Bateson-Pyatt

Could you do this over linoleum?

• Kathy Birks

What did she do for corners and around commode,ect?

• Edna

What are the care instructions and durability?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Once you seal it with 2-3 coats of water based polyurethane it will last for yours and you can clean it just like any regular floor. Just stay away from anything with alcohol

• Tricia

This looks simple for one or two tiles, but how long would it take for larger areas, say kitchen and dining room?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Just allow yourself to have a whole day free to stencil! It takes a few hours and you can always go back with touchups. Then you need to wait 24 hours to seal it!

• Beta

Where can I get the desing pateren and the paint for the tiles?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

You can get this design and other stencils on our website. The link is in our profile. The paint you can get at any local paint store

• Melissa Alexander

Would this be durable on counter tops? My counters are tile. I would like to paint time, but worry how it would hold up to pots and pans, etc.

• Georgia Shoemaker Addison

This is absolutely beautiful! What did Erica do about the grout between the tiles?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

You just ignore the grout lines!! Or you can paint them using our grout stencil that comes with the tile stencil

• Millie DeSanti Colantonio

Can this be done on an already designed tile floor?

• Lynn

Beautiful job! Have you ever seen woodgrain stencils or ones that are more subtle designs? If so, where can you get them? We have a very large area that connects to many rooms and this would be too busy. Thank you.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

We have hundreds of different designs on our website including a faux wood grain look. The link to our website is on our profile page. You can take a look and see if you find anything simple and to your liking!

• Lynn

Is this truly durable for heavy foot traffic? How do you maintain it? What do you have to use for cleaning?