Lighting Upgrade - With Sharpies!

$10

This was a challenge. ......... it took me forever to think of something. I knew I had a freshly painted chandelier and a few light bulbs. This is what I came up with.....
I took a chandelier I bought at a yard sale. I plan to use the globes (or shades) for another project.
I removed all the wires and chains by using wire pliers.
I sanded and washed the chandelier.
I hung the chandelier on a shepard's hook and spray painted it with a black spray paint. I always use black spay paint because it makes everything look like cast iron.
I used a screw driver, wire pliers and a long screw (screw not shown) to remove the insides of the bulb. Remember to lay a paper towel down so you can collect all the broken glass when it is removed from inside the bulb. This bulb had a tiny bulb inside.

Remember when removing the insides of a light bulb to use a leather glove to hold the bulb at the screw-in part of the bulb. Safety first! I found a video on the Internet on how to remove the insides of a light bulb.
I used the sharpies to color the outside of the 3 light bulbs I was using.
I just colored the bulb with many colors.
I picked up some LED copper lights at Home Depot today for about $4.00. They were in the clearance rack. They are battery operated, so you do not need to place them in the sun.
Remember I left an opening in the light bulb? I shoved the LED lights into the hole using about a quarter of the string of light per light bulb.
I wrapped the LED light around the base and sprayed them black so they would not stand out.
With the colored light bulb and the LED light, this made for a perfect outdoor light for my sitting area.
Here is my finished out door light.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Sue

Do you not get a lot of wind that would damage it.

• Katrina

Hi Sue! I have done many "fairy light" projects for the outdoors. Believe it or not, I have found great success with Flex Seal tape.

Yes. You read that correctly.

Flex Seal TAPE.

Like our poster, most everything I make is black and they have that!

I also have a roll of white on hand as well.

Waterproof when used right!

😸

• Donna Mix

It seems that there's a chance moisture could seep into the socket around the base of a light bulb during a storm. Is that possible?

• Cynthia Stryker

Could we color led bulbs like that to use inside... or would the sharpie ink on the bulbs release toxic fumes, when turned on, bad for breathing (& bad for indoor pet birds)?

• Chng

I color the light bulbs for some antique lamps that I have. They are so beautiful and project colors on the wall. I haven't noticed any smell ( I'm very sensitive too) The only problem is the heat melts the color. I'm going to try to put sealant on them. Until then, I just touch them up when need be.