Asked on Sep 29, 2017

How do you get rid of and/or stop those teeny tiny gnat/fruit flies

RoseKba28478716Joy30150932
+6

place bowls of apple cider vinegar covered with saran wrap,poke tiny holes in it
  • Dianne Curtis

a drop of liquid soap - in a small container near the fruit
  • Nancy Turner

Make sure that any produce you bring in the house is washed well. They come in with the, be it from the garden, farmers market or grocery store. Especially important for any that will sit on the counter in a dish. They will definitely go to tomatoes on the counter. That is how my mom got them. They can come in anytime you open the door this time of year. They like to hang out in the drain where there is always moisture. There are many home remedies for fruit flies and gnats. I use the solution that one of my local grocery store both uses and sells. The commercial products do work well. If you have a lot, a fly strip will help eliminating them. They may look gross, but put up with it for a while until they are under control or gone and it won't take as long. They seem to be worse this year than last year for some reason.
    • B. Enne

I agree. If I bring in big melons that don't fit in the fridge, I scrub them with concentrated soapy water.
      Also make sure you don't have a piece of fruit left in a lunch or school bag. An apple was accidentally left in a school bag that we thought was empty (hidden pocket). We kept scrubbing everywhere and couldn't figure it out, until we found the culprit...problem solved.
      Also clean out your drain with baking soda, vinegar and boiing water. We keep a drain plate with holes at all times in our kitchen drains.
  • Margie Spenser

Keep food in refrigerator. Wash any fruit or produce as soon as you bring it into the house to avoid importing flies, especially if you leave it out to ripen.

Also, make fruit fly traps:
    Take large jars and put a couple inches of apple cider vinegar in the bottom.( wine is also good if you can spare it). The flies drink and drown, and you just pour them down the drain.

My favorite is to put pieces of banana in the dry jar, then take a piece of paper ( half a sheet out of a school notebook) and make a cone out of it with a tiny hole at the tip. Tape the paper edge so the cone keeps its shape. Put the paper into the jar point down and fold the wide part of the cone down over the rim of the jar. Put a rubber band around the jar top or tape it. The fruit flies go in the little hole in the cone and can't figure out how to get out. This attracts more flies than the vinegar, but there are disadvantages. You have to drown the trapped flies by running water through the cone until the jar is full, then empty the jar down a big drain. The bananas get ugly. Also, the flies mate in the jar so you get more flies to drown, and you have to be careful they all drown before you remove the cone, then clean out and dry the jar.

Raid flying insect spray works very well if you manage to hit the fly directly, but it's expensive and dangerous to inhale, and leaves goop on surfaces that you have to wash off completely. It is cheapest at Home Depot or Lowe's, not a supermarket. Every other spray I have tried wasn't worth a cent.
  • Jac29786333

A little bit of red wine and a drop of Dawn dish detergent in a vase or bottle with a narrow neck on the kitchen counter. The gnats go in and have their party but don't come back out.
  • Joy30150932

I have used dry yeast, sugar and warm water, place in a small bowl and then cover with plastic wrap. Put a hole in the top. This has worked good for me.
  • Kba28478716

I hate those things! The only thing I have found is to keep my fruit/veg discards in the frig til trash day and make sure you have NO standing water in the kitchen.
  • Rose

cup with sugar and vinegar water they are attracted to it then they drown