Redoux Interiors
Redoux Interiors
  • Brentwood, CA

How to Paint Old Shutters and Use for Decor

Old wood shutters get a brand new look with CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray, and secret no mess distressing tip!
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters. Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them. I purchased them for a song!
After the shutters were painted. I used a baby wipe! Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
There is no mess with the wet distress method, and you have way more control than with sandpaper.
Now they look like they came from a beach cottage, not a random estate sale!
Redoux Interiors

• Mary Justin

is there a particular paintbrush you use? I don’t see a lot of brush marks on your shutters. did. Your water doesn’t down the paint? Thank you
  • Vicky Whiteman

Do you paint the back too?

• Carol Lindsey

I purchased 4 old exterior shutters to make into a king size headboard. I stripped 4 layers of old paint and I love the natural distressed finish. I don't want to paint them. But they smell old and musty. Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell? I have sprayed with vinegar and put in the sun to dry out completely . It is better but not yet fresh smelling.

Carol Lindsey

• Amy

Boo no one answered any of the questions! Did u figure it out?! What did u end up doing?? Same situation here. And... would love to see ur headboard... what size? Great idea. Didn’t know what I’m doing with all these shutters yet, but I sure could use a headboard! Hope u respond...

• Biancasmom1

I have acquired 2 shutter doors. This one is definitely in the running for the finished product!

• Carol Lindsey

I sprayed them with vinegar and set them in the sun daily for weeks. I brought them in while the sun was still out. It took about two months until the odor went away completely. Then I started to build the headboard. It is for a king size bed. I bought extra pieces to add to the sides, top and shelf. I used a liquid aging stain and sanded until they resembled the stripped shutters. I added crown molding and a shelf. It is very heavy so the end of the building (adding legs and extra pieces) was actually done in the bedroom.