How to Paint Old Shutters and Use for Decor

Old wood shutters get a brand new look with CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray, and secret no mess distressing tip!
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters. Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them. I purchased them for a song!
After the shutters were painted. I used a baby wipe! Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
There is no mess with the wet distress method, and you have way more control than with sandpaper.
Now they look like they came from a beach cottage, not a random estate sale!

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Redoux Interiors

• Vicky Whiteman

Do you paint the back too?

• Carol Lindsey

I purchased 4 old exterior shutters to make into a king size headboard. I stripped 4 layers of old paint and I love the natural distressed finish. I don't want to paint them. But they smell old and musty. Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell? I have sprayed with vinegar and put in the sun to dry out completely . It is better but not yet fresh smelling.

Carol Lindsey

• Amy

Boo no one answered any of the questions! Did u figure it out?! What did u end up doing?? Same situation here. And... would love to see ur headboard... what size? Great idea. Didn’t know what I’m doing with all these shutters yet, but I sure could use a headboard! Hope u respond...

• Shayla

What color was the bed and the accent?

• Biancasmom1

I have acquired 2 shutter doors. This one is definitely in the running for the finished product!

• Carol Lindsey

I sprayed them with vinegar and set them in the sun daily for weeks. I brought them in while the sun was still out. It took about two months until the odor went away completely. Then I started to build the headboard. It is for a king size bed. I bought extra pieces to add to the sides, top and shelf. I used a liquid aging stain and sanded until they resembled the stripped shutters. I added crown molding and a shelf. It is very heavy so the end of the building (adding legs and extra pieces) was actually done in the bedroom.