Redoux Interiors
Redoux Interiors
  • Brentwood, CA

How to Paint Old Shutters and Use for Decor

Old wood shutters get a brand new look with CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray, and secret no mess distressing tip!
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters.  Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters. Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them.  I purchased them for a song!
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them. I purchased them for a song!
After the shutters were painted.  I used a baby wipe!  Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
After the shutters were painted. I used a baby wipe! Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
There is no mess with the wet distress method, and you have way more control than with sandpaper.
Now they look like they came from a beach cottage, not a random estate sale!
Redoux Interiors

• Cindy

I kills the burgundy shutters and now I want to distress. Should I spray paint them with a cream and sand or spray them white and rub dirt to make the look distress. Please help.

• Mary Justin

is there a particular paintbrush you use? I don’t see a lot of brush marks on your shutters. did. Your water doesn’t down the paint? Thank you

• Vicky Whiteman

Do you paint the back too?

• Carol

I used four old shutters for a headboard and simply stood them up side by side and pushed the bed against them. They have not moved in 4 years.

• Biancasmom1

I have acquired 2 shutter doors. This one is definitely in the running for the finished product!