How to Paint Old Shutters and Use for Decor

Old wood shutters get a brand new look with CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray, and secret no mess distressing tip!
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters. Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them. I purchased them for a song!
After the shutters were painted. I used a baby wipe! Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
There is no mess with the wet distress method, and you have way more control than with sandpaper.
Now they look like they came from a beach cottage, not a random estate sale!

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Redoux Interiors

• Carol Lindsey
    Carol Lindsey

I purchased 4 old exterior shutters to make into a king size headboard. I stripped 4 layers of old paint and I love the natural distressed finish. I don't want to paint them. But they smell old and musty. Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell? I have sprayed with vinegar and put in the sun to dry out completely . It is better but not yet fresh smelling.

Carol Lindsey

• Mary Njus
      Mary Njus

For small shutters I like to use one piece on my dining table and then decorate on top. Pumpkins candles greenery. For Christmas either arrangement or small Xmas tree on top.You could also create a shelf from shutters too. Have fun!

• Shayla
    Shayla

What color was the bed and the accent?

• Sue
    Sue

Do you wipe the paint off while it's wet or let it dry then wipe?

• Biancasmom1
    Biancasmom1

I have acquired 2 shutter doors. This one is definitely in the running for the finished product!

• Carol Lindsey
    Carol Lindsey

I sprayed them with vinegar and set them in the sun daily for weeks. I brought them in while the sun was still out. It took about two months until the odor went away completely. Then I started to build the headboard. It is for a king size bed. I bought extra pieces to add to the sides, top and shelf. I used a liquid aging stain and sanded until they resembled the stripped shutters. I added crown molding and a shelf. It is very heavy so the end of the building (adding legs and extra pieces) was actually done in the bedroom.