Mary
Mary
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maple Park, IL

Yes! Another Goodwill Up-Cycle :)

$18

Here is another Goodwill project. I found this lazy Susan and had a vision.
yes another goodwill up cycle
Do you know the story behind the lazy Susan? It is quite interesting!
“Thomas Jefferson invented the lazy Susan in the 18th century, though they were referred to as dumbwaiters at that time. It is said that Jefferson invented the lazy Susan because his daughter complained she was always served last at the table and, as a result, never found herself full when leaving the table" Just a piece of useless information!
yes another goodwill up cycle
I cleaned it up and applied two coats of Primer. Since it was darker wood and I knew I was going to go with a shade of white I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get bleed through.
yes another goodwill up cycle
Here it is with two coats of primer.
yes another goodwill up cycle
Once dry I grabbed my color choice - I love Wise Owl paint! The coverage is phenomenal!
yes another goodwill up cycle
I went with the Antique Villa - it's a beautiful soft white!
yes another goodwill up cycle
Here is it with two coats. Look at the coverage and no bleed through, YEAH!
yes another goodwill up cycle
I can't draw a stick figure and I don't have the ability to make stencils so I have started using Chalk Couture Transfers. They are super easy and make me feel like a professional! I put the first transfer down and grabbed my chalk.
yes another goodwill up cycle
Here is the transfer with the chalk applied, it goes on super quick and easy. As you can see I have used Washi tape on the outside of the transfer. The reason I did this is that I didn't want to take a chance of running over the transfer with the chalk. The Washi tape easily comes off with no pulling of paint. I was the kid that when coloring if I went over the line the whole thing would now be whatever color I went over the line with! :) Didn't want to have that happen here!
yes another goodwill up cycle
Once I pulled off the mitten transfer I put down the snowflakes that I wanted. I grabbed a couple of colors and did the same process.
yes another goodwill up cycle
And here it is! I love it! Once the chalk was dry I did put a couple coats of Krylon Matte Sealer on it to make the chalk permanent and also to be able to wipe it off it need be. I am excited to have a holiday decoration on my table this year!

• Molly

Do you think you could use homemade chalk paint, (latex paint + plaster of Paris) in place of the chalk paste, seems like the same thing. Also, if you don’t seal it, can you easily wash it off of a window? Thank you, love the mitten stencil, this is so cute! Thanks, Molly
  • Jenny Perez

Where do you buy the Chalk Couture Transfers?
  • Denise

I love that you’ve repurposed this.... why not for ALL YEAR though??? Thanks for sharing!

• Robin Taylor

I really thought that she was going to mechanize it after painting, and use it as a miniature tree stand!
  • Pj Parkhurst

So clever! Now everyone is going to be running to their local GoodWill to find a lazy susan. :) Good job, it's really a cute idea.