Megan Aubrey
Megan Aubrey
  • Forest, VA

Homemade No-Grate Laundry Detergent

After learning how easy it is to make most of your basic household cleaners I decided to try making my own laundry detergent. I was almost out of my store bought detergent and the cost of buying the ingredients to make my own equaled one bottle of store bought detergent. There was nothing to lose trying but so much more money in my pocket to gain! The great thing is that these ingredients will make detergent for at least a year. That's about $10 worth of ingredients for a whole year of laundry detergent. Plus, this is a no grate recipe! Check out how easy it is to make this no grate laundry detergent that cleans effectively and leaves your clothes smelling delicious! I use 1/2 cup per regular load. This is HE washer friendly!
homemade no grate laundry detergent, cleaning tips
Learn how to make easy no grate laundry detergent! I'm forever hooked on this recipe!
Gather your ingredients. You need:
•3 Tablespoons of Borax
•3 Tablespoons of Washing Soda
•2 Tablespoons Dawn Dishwashing Detergent
•A bottle to mix it in (mine is an old milk bottle)
Pour the three ingredients into a gallon container. Use a funnel or a piece of paper rolled into a funnel.
Pour 4 cups of boiling water into the container and swirl until dissolved.
Let cool and then fill container with cold water. Make sure to fill the container up to the top with water – not just suds. Let the suds run over while filling. You will still have plenty of soap inside.
It's that easy to make your own laundry detergent! It will save you so much money a year and make your clothes so fresh and so clean!

Megan Aubrey

• DebWor

Since I have never used borax. Do your clothes smell good. Also I wash most clothes in cold water in a top load machine.Do I need to desolve it in hot water first.

• Megan Aubrey

My clothes do not have a scent because I do not add any essential oils. No need to dissolve further than what is done in the recipe while making it.

• Claudia

How much of the solution do you use for each wash load? I have a front loading washer.

• NaniJen

Do you use "washing soda" or "baking soda "? Or is there no difference? In the photo you show washing soda, but in list of ingredients, you say baking soda.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to be sure to use the correct product. Thank you for this! Being on a fixed income, any money saving tips are much appreciated!