Homemade No-Grate Laundry Detergent

After learning how easy it is to make most of your basic household cleaners I decided to try making my own laundry detergent. I was almost out of my store bought detergent and the cost of buying the ingredients to make my own equaled one bottle of store bought detergent. There was nothing to lose trying but so much more money in my pocket to gain! The great thing is that these ingredients will make detergent for at least a year. That's about $10 worth of ingredients for a whole year of laundry detergent. Plus, this is a no grate recipe! Check out how easy it is to make this no grate laundry detergent that cleans effectively and leaves your clothes smelling delicious! I use 1/2 cup per regular load. This is HE washer friendly!
Learn how to make easy no grate laundry detergent! I'm forever hooked on this recipe!
Gather your ingredients. You need:
•3 Tablespoons of Borax
•3 Tablespoons of Washing Soda
•2 Tablespoons Dawn Dishwashing Detergent
•A bottle to mix it in (mine is an old milk bottle)
Pour the three ingredients into a gallon container. Use a funnel or a piece of paper rolled into a funnel.
Pour 4 cups of boiling water into the container and swirl until dissolved.
Let cool and then fill container with cold water. Make sure to fill the container up to the top with water – not just suds. Let the suds run over while filling. You will still have plenty of soap inside.
It's that easy to make your own laundry detergent! It will save you so much money a year and make your clothes so fresh and so clean!

Megan Aubrey

• Sherry Fisher

Washing soda or baking soda? I thought these were two different products!

• Sandy Wegmann

Washing soda can be bought at Walmart or any hardware store -- will last you for ages at only a couple tablespoons per batch! Cheap and does a great job. I have not bought detergent for years!! Clothes are clean, too -- sometimes I add some Oxy or bleach, depending on the dirt or stains, I am dealing with!

• Carolyn

What is washing soda? Same as baking soda? If not where can I get it?

• Helen Jefferson

What about the newer washers that require special detergent? Is this type safe?

• Sue Hendricks

No

• Windy Gonzalez

I tried it and my clothes did not get clean. They still had a "dirty smell". I tripled the ingredients and that seemed to work pretty good. I'm just concerned that overtime that might kill the color in the clothes.