Homemade No-Grate Laundry Detergent

After learning how easy it is to make most of your basic household cleaners I decided to try making my own laundry detergent. I was almost out of my store bought detergent and the cost of buying the ingredients to make my own equaled one bottle of store bought detergent. There was nothing to lose trying but so much more money in my pocket to gain! The great thing is that these ingredients will make detergent for at least a year. That's about $10 worth of ingredients for a whole year of laundry detergent. Plus, this is a no grate recipe! Check out how easy it is to make this no grate laundry detergent that cleans effectively and leaves your clothes smelling delicious! I use 1/2 cup per regular load. This is HE washer friendly!
Learn how to make easy no grate laundry detergent! I'm forever hooked on this recipe!
Gather your ingredients. You need:
•3 Tablespoons of Borax
•3 Tablespoons of Washing Soda
•2 Tablespoons Dawn Dishwashing Detergent
•A bottle to mix it in (mine is an old milk bottle)
Pour the three ingredients into a gallon container. Use a funnel or a piece of paper rolled into a funnel.
Pour 4 cups of boiling water into the container and swirl until dissolved.
Let cool and then fill container with cold water. Make sure to fill the container up to the top with water – not just suds. Let the suds run over while filling. You will still have plenty of soap inside.
It's that easy to make your own laundry detergent! It will save you so much money a year and make your clothes so fresh and so clean!

Megan Aubrey

• Carolyn

What is washing soda? Same as baking soda? If not where can I get it?

• Jen Aultman

Just enter Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda in Amazon & it will pop up

• Helen Jefferson

What about the newer washers that require special detergent? Is this type safe?

• LBuser

This is very safe in high efficiency washers. Your are right that you don't want suds in newer washers but this does not make suds. I have been using this for years and my front loader high efficiency 10 year old washer works like new.

• Debi O'Brien

pouring the boiling water didn't melt the milk jug?

• Trish106

I pour just enough very hot water (not boiled) into the bottle to melt. Adding the rest of the hot water

• Carole

Tried this formula and didn't think clothes came out especially clean. White socks were not clean even with bleach and oxiclean where added.

• Doreen Kennedy

washing soda and borax are a great cleaning boosters and water softeners. You can dissolve them in a bucket and store in a bottle, but I found that method wasn’t as effective once it cooled down. It got kind of lumpy so I ended up having to add hot water every time I used it. I use the powders in addition to laundry detergent. It’s a bit more work to dissolve the powders each time, but it’s a lot more effective. If I’m doing a load of wash in hot water then I just pour the undiluted powder along with my detergent directly in my washer. I don’t use dish detergent to clean laundry because it’s hard on cloths fibers plus it doesn’t rinse out like regular detergent. I’ve used dish detergent a few times when I ran out of laundry soap. My cloths didn’t look or feel clean. I prefer to use laundry detergent that’s free of dye and fragrance. Sometimes I use cheaper brands like free and clear. When I can afford it, I buy Mrs. Myers because it’s all natural. Your solution does work well as spot stain remover. Anyway, that’s just what I prefer. If you find your laundry detergent works for you then you should stick with it. Thank you for sharing. It’s always helpful to share cleaning tips.