Melissa Lopes
Melissa Lopes
  • Atwater, CA

Faux Brick Backsplash

$60
1 Day

DIY Faux Brick backsplash from faux brick panels

faux brick backsplash

faux brick backsplash

faux brick backsplash

We used a 47.75-in x 7.98-ft Embossed Red Brick Hardboard Wall Panel from Lowe's. They are $29.98 and one is enough for a average kitchen.

faux brick backsplash

My husband measured and made cut outs for the outlets, using a jigsaw.

faux brick backsplash

We used construction adhesive to apply to the panel. Apply the construction adhesive liberally to ensure it is secure. Use finishing nails to secure the ends.

faux brick backsplash

Put your cut panel into place.

faux brick backsplash

These panels came "Brick Color" I wanted the base to be white so I picked up a quart of white paint.

faux brick backsplash

This is after the first coat of white, we used a basic white.

faux brick backsplash

I added some black paint into random spots and smeared with my rag to add in touches of darker brick.

faux brick backsplash

Next I applied dark wax to the entire panel to give the effects of "aged" brick. You can go lighter and heavier in some spaces.

faux brick backsplash

Next I needed to light the grout. I used some white chalk paint I had on hand.

faux brick backsplash

faux brick backsplash

Melissa Lopes

• Kristi Martin

Why did you wait to do the paint after you put the backsplash up? Was there a specific reason?

• Melissa Lopes

Yes there was 😊 there were several seams that needed to be filled, we used finishing nails in the corners and those also needed to be filled, I painted after so that we could work on getting the backsplash on and properly sealed without messing up the paint.

• Kristi Martin

Why did you wait to do the paint after you put the backsplash up? Was Tyler a specific reason?

• Melissa Lopes

• Ala18139545

This is a great idea. My issue is the existing back splash is connected behind the refrigerator. Should I cut it off to the fridge or cover the that area also. Thank you for sharing

• Ann Cassler

Unless your fridge is encased in a box the wall behind it will show at the sides. Not hard to pull your fridge forward to work back there once you empty it.

• Melissa Lopes

I would cover all the existing backsplash you have 😊

• Sonya

You said you used Dark Wax .... what brand/color is that?

• Sharon Layman-Greer

I really like how it came out. How do you get the electrical outlets to come back flush with the front of the faux brick panel?

• Rita

You can buy extenders for your outlets from Lowe’s

• Pinkystarfish

Or you can carefully cut the brick panel so that it slips behind the top and bottom of the receptacle. (The two metal circles on the top and bottom) This will make it flush.

• Melissa Lopes

Yes just as the two comments said, we used outlet extenders

• Lori

Did you seal it with something?

• Kathy Gremmler Randall

What kind of paint did you use on the panel? Was it a flat latex?

• Cathy

Could you use this over tile?

• Mona

I would say it depends on the kind of tile, but I don't think I would.

• Melissa Lopes

Yes actually you can, It’s hard board and can be applied over tile

• Barbara partin

could i paint it before i put it up on the wall ?

• Mona

Of course. Make it easier on the back.

• Carol Mensch McAlpine

I think painting prior would be the easier way to go. Would probably need to just touch up a bit after. It would certainly be easier than all the awkwardness and back stress angles of doing it after it's on the walls. At least in my kitchen. 😊

• Mona

Looks nice. I like what you have done. Wish I had seen this before I started using the tile. Sure would have made my life a lot easier.

Good job.

• Carol Sullivan

Painting the boards before putting them on the Wall was my first thought. Great job, looks nice with your shutters.

• Melissa Lopes

Painting the boards could be done first, but there were several seams that had to be filled and nail holes that’s needed filling. It will ensure a cleaner look to paint after applying to the wall and everything sealed and sanded down then paint

• Colleen

where did you get the AMAZING bowl / pitcher / canister set with the old fashioned egg beater on them?!! I need a set!!

• Hal Schultz

At first I thought, oh no tacky brick panel, but your color make over is fantastic. But it is a matter of artistic talent to get it to look so authentic for the avergae person. Couple of questions. How did you get the white chalk paint to stick after applying a dark wax? Then how did you seal the chalk paint? Second, how did you hide the seams between panels? That would drive me crazy if they show.

• Melissa Lopes

I painted the whole panel with a satin paint from sherwin Williams first and then I added the dark wax, wax can be used as a sealer so no additional sealer was used. I only used the white chalk paint in the grout area where the wax was not applied. We used caulk to seal all seams, which is why I painted after it was up instead of prior

• Kdc4631874

Love the look!!! Is the counter granite?

• Karen Rockow

Is it waterproof? Wouldn't that be important for a backsplash?

• Melissa Lopes

It is considered mold proof and has satin wall paint painted over it so it would be safe around water that would occationally get on it from a sink

• Suzanne H

What did you use for the dark wax? Is that what turned the bricks from white to the brown color?

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

This looks great! I would love to try this in my kitchen. Just curious, have you tried scrubbing it? I am an avid cook and I have 5 boys, so it would need to withstand some elbow grease. Any thoughts? Maybe a sealant of some sort?

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

• Archie

Wouldn't be easier to do the painting before installing it?

• Teresa

it would be and it would look better if they had matched the bricks near the window instead of having "fatter bricks there"

• Cindy Hagemann

Not for me - I have to see it in the space and add the right colors for the lighting and space.

• Melissa Lopes

Yes it would have! Unfortunely there were seam and nail holes I wanted to fill after installing so I painted after.

• Melissa Lopes

Teresa sorry you feel that it would have looked better that way, and I’m not sure what you mean because we did use the same matching panels all through out! Maybe it doesn’t look “matching” because it was such a narrow area

• Pam

i thinks she is seeing just one brick on top of another and not the staggered look as the rest of the panels... great job , going to do the same but will paint and then wax before install , hate to paint in awkward angles

• Sharon

Thank you! Thank you for this! I have been searching for ages (seems like years!) for a backsplash that I liked and felt I could look at every single day. Well, this just “clicked” with me. And I would not have even thought of painting the original brick look but this is perfect. I love it!

• Dst32743089

What did you do to the sides, did you have to sand & paint ? Or maybe small trim pieces?

• Dst32743089

• Dst32743089

• Rip27171616

What wax did you use?

• Mayumi Naito Kosnosky

Love it!!! I would love to do my kitchen!!! Could you tell me does the paint came off when you cleaned?

• Mayumi Naito Kosnosky

• Dav31649473

Would anyone recommend this above acrylic shower walls, up to the ceiling? would it withstand the moisture...anyone? Let me know!

Fil from Canton, MI

davefilomena@gmail.com

• Dottiewilkie

Unfortunately not!

• Melissa Lopes

I would not recommend that. There would be too much steam and water in that area

• LorriB

This is hardboard so if it gets wet, it will deteriorate. If you just want the look, you can do the same with just paint by masking off a brick pattern with narrow making tape. When you've finished your "bricks", you can peel the masking tape off and voila! You have grout lines. You can also purchase faux brick stencils. Otherwise you could use a rustic subway tile or similar mosaic or brick veneer above the shower walls since it's a fairly small space to tile. Just remember you don't want whatever you use to stick out past the acrylic shower walls.

, Mask off the area in a running brick pattern using masking tape I use frog tape, use a sponge or stencil brush to create texture and add in other colours
    • Dav31649473

Thanks for the response,

me/ Fil from Canton

• Ker32231406

Could you email more pics of the area so I can make mine exactly like yours? keringordon11ATgmail.com

• Rosy

Beautiful job. Where did you get the pig hanging on the caninet end?

• Melissa Lopes

Thank you, I found that at Hobby Lobby

• Jacx

I have a rooster just like it from Hobby Lobby! Love it. I put paper towels soaked in white vinegar and then placed all into a bag. Kept checking it and refreshing the vinegar. After a few days it's lovely and rusted in several places. It looks now like a true vintage sign! It wasn't expensive plus i had a coupon!

I love what you have done w the brick!

• Dorothy Delaney Pinkston

could you paint before putting up? seems it would be easier.

• Amy Cunningham-Niehaus

I really like this and I’ve been thinking about doing a wall in my living room. Did you only use black paint and the rag or did you use other colors as well? I’m just not sure how you got all the color after paint it all white.
    • Melissa Lopes

I used the black paint first and then applied Folk Art Dark wax over all the bricks

• Jana

Do you know the name/color of your granite?

• Sharon Layman-Greer

I don't know about the granite, but I have a Formica brand laminate countertop that looks exactly like this. The color is called Butterum. Everyone that visits thinks it is granite.

• Melissa Lopes

I wish I could we bought the house with it installed already

• Micheal

Is it easy to clean, and durable?

• Melissa Lopes

It can be wiped down with a sponge or went towel. I probably wouldn’t scrub vigorously but it can be wiped down

• Erika Lee

Great look! Would like to try this on an entire wall. My concern is the joint lines? What did you will those with?

• Deb Snyder

You talked about dark wax what kind did you use

• Tdl31964694

When I clicked on the link I saw faux brick that was already the color of yours after you painted. Did you look at those before hand. Just wondering if they looked too fake for you or if you just wanted your own spin on things. It looks good, but if I don't have to paint well....

• Melissa Lopes

I am not sure which photo your taking about. When I bought the brick it was red like brick color but I wanted a more aged nuetral tone 😊

• Shelly

What other steps did you use after painting the bricks white? It seems that the bricks seem much darker with some browns etc, not just black.

• Caryl Hayes

DI'd you apply a sealant to this faux brick, so when you was good spatters up, it doesn't alter the wall effect.

• Diana

Can this be done without removing square tiles?

• Gloria

Very good. Wouldn't it have been easier to paint before you actually installed it on the wall? I'm just thinking of my back

• Gigi Weber Hansen

I'm going to be doing this also. If you were to do it all over again, would you paint it prior to installing? Pros and cons? Thanks.

• Melissa Lopes

I would not, because of the seams. Painting afterwards ensures I will be painting over everything

• Gigi Weber Hansen

Love this! Would you recommend painting prior to installing?

• Marsha Blackwell

So you didn't use a brown paint at all, only the black? The brown bricks came from the wax?

• Sheri

I've used was enough to know the brown color came from the Dark Brown wax. You can buy wax in different color tones. When it's dry, you can buff it and give it a shine as well if you want.

• Marsha Blackwell

So you didn't use a brown paint at all? Only the black? The brown bricks came from the wax?

• Debra Y

I love it! But, what about cleaning? I get splatters on my walls above the counter. How do you scrub without the paint coming off?

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Will you be able to take this off without damaging the wall? Just wondering, if you decided to change the backsplash in the future.

• Shar

Removing this will damage the wall if you are going over drywall. It will pull the surface paper off in areas that are glued. It may also leave adhesive behind. There are adhesive removers in the paint department of the hardware stores. If you already have old tile on there you can go over the top of that. Find some edge trim in the tile department of the big box hardware store to cover the edges if you are going over tile because you will be able to see it on the sides.

• Gretchen Crow Dexter

Wouldn't it be easier to do all the painting before gluing the panels to the wall?

• Lisa Buck

This is my question too.

• Susan Shea

I did my wall in my family room once it was up also. Gives you a better indication of where to put the paint. I also used a grout to make it look chunky like old brick. Also just used finish nails so if I ever. Goose to take it down I won’t have a mess.

• Rebecca Rebecca

I AGREE THE PAINTING WOULD BE EASIER BEFOREHAND

• Cindy M

I was thinking the same thing. But doing it when it is up lets you see it better, the bigger picture. You can add where it's needed.

• Melissa Watson

Can you nail it to the wall instead of glueing?

• Laurie Harris

Does it clean up well from splashes and other food and cooking that has a tendency to get on the wall?

• Nickie Crumley

Can you put it over tile

• Cynthia Brown Pusser

Could you do all the painting before hanging it?