Porch Table and Chairs

$45

When we got married in 2013 my husband had an old Singer treadle sewing machine in the garage that had a broken cabinet and was covered with tools and junk. When we were moving last year he wanted to pitch it and I refused. I told him to take the machine out and save it and the base, but pitch the cabinet. I had plans for the base. I wanted to make a table for our covered back porch.
Positioning the boards
We purchased 3 wood decking boards for the table top. Cut them in half lengthwise to make a 4 foot long table top. We had some leftover pieces from our back walkway project that we ripped to make the cross bars.
Constructing
Hubby is screwing the boards together with short deck screws. I haven't painted the base yet at this point. I used a super duty Rustoleum primer to cover the black and white spray paint we had on hand over that. I was using leftovers and went through several brands getting all the nooks and crannies covered.
Cleaning
Hubby is cleaning all the sawdust and debris so I can start painting.
Painting
I used an exterior paint. Olympic Assure in SW 6213 Halcyon Green. I have a SW paint deck from my painting days so I almost always use a Sherwin Williams color. One quart painted the top and 4 chairs.
Finished
We used 4 stainless steel nuts and bolts to secure the top to the base since it will be outside. I can tell you one thing this table is heavy!
Another angle. The details are so pretty.
Closeup of the base.
Chairs
The farmhouse chairs were an auction find of my husband and his late wife from years ago. The right is the original. Left is partially painted. One was missing a back slat, but it was easily replaced. There were 6 all together knocking around in the basement. All of them were pretty beat up. A few had obvious repairs. On seeing this picture a friend said "Oh no you never paint wood." But these chairs were r..o..u..g..h.. and half of them were already painted white. We have one on our front porch painted a darker blue. 4 for this project and one left over.
Finished
Here is the finished set on the porch. It got used last weekend during a birthday party for my husband. It will be so nice to sit out there in the mornings for breakfast and watch the birdies. The chair pads were purchased from At Home, the home decor store, just in case anyone asks.

• Three 8 ft pressure treated deck boards  (Lowes $15)
  • 1 Qt of Olympic Assure exterior paint  (Lowes $15 (?))
  • 4 stainless steel bolts with matching nuts  (Lowes $4)

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!

• Suzann

What is the color of the Olympic paint you used on the chairs?

• Sli30327402

Why did you paint the base? The antique glow is the goal in such a project.

never paint an antique your removing 50 to 70% of the value.

• Flipturn

Not all old items have value just because they are antique age. The base was not being used by anyone and therefore did not have much value in itself. Now it serves a very practical purpose, and painting it white makes it look attractive and summery! Value added I say.

• Diana Deiley

I absolutely love this make over. It's sentimental yet new at the same time. What an awesome creative piece. The color is gorgeous. Enoy.

• Mike

My great grandma had sewing machine

in 1875 singers old sewing machine