Debbie
Debbie
  • Glen Mills, PA

New Life to Old Bathtub Surround. “Tile Over Tile” Yes You Can

$200

My 4” white bathroom tile was in very good condition without any cracks or loose tiles. Boring! Couldn’t really afford a contractor to rip it out and replace. So I enhanced it with beautiful mother of pearl and glass mosaic centerpiece over the existing tile. I have before pictures but unfortunately I don’t have any during the process. Hopefully I can convey the process without pictures.
Same concept
new life to old bathroom tile surround title over title yes you can
This the finished project
This is the before picture ughh. House was a total gut job.
I scrubbed and removed the utilitarian bar. There were a couple of holes I had to patch, but they are barely detectable. There are tutorials on the web for repairing tile.
Next I taped around the section that I wanted to add my centerpiece. I sanded like crazy with a heavy grit sand paper to rough up that area. A wire bit for my drill would have probably been easier.
I attached schluter to my wall tiles where I wanted my frame to go
This is schluter. A metal trim used around tile and marble pencil tile.
I don’t have a picture attaching the schluter so a made this grid to show you how to attach. Schluter is cut at a 45 degree angle to size of the picture frame I wanted.
The first piece of schluter, which is the bottom part of the frame is attached to the wall with tiny screws in between the grout lines of the existing tile. The schluter has an edge to it that will keep your tiles from sliding. The side pieces are attached next with tiny screws make sure your frame is square
This is what your corners should look like even though my angle is slightly off. It’s for demonstration only.
Next you add your marble pencil for a little wider frame. Pencil is cut on a 45 degree angle at the corners. This is attached with your tile adhesive. As you press the pencil tile it also attaches the schluter as it squezes through the holes in the back of the schluter. I used Omini Grip from Home Depot because it’s water applications
This shows my 45 degree angle for my pencil frame. I only used small pieces of the pencil for demonstration.
Then you start filling in your picture frame going from bottom to top. The top of the frame with schulter is put on before the last row of tile and pencil because the back of the schluter goes under the last tiles. Wait at least 24 hours before grouting. I like the grout that already has the sealer in it. Don’t remember the name but Home Depot has it.
Close up of the corners.
Close up of the centerpiece.
Another view
Used the same concept.
Used the same concept in my master shower surround. Tiled right over the tile in my shower surround. Only this time in a wainscoting version.
Finished project.

• Melissa Nugent

Can you do this to a faux tile surround

• Sherrie

As a former tile/flooring specialist at The Home Depot, I would highly discourage attempting to tile a shower over an existing fiberglass surround. The surround should be removed, and the existing drywall removed and replaced with hardy backer or cement board. Your fiberglass is NOT designed in any way shape or form to support mortar, tile and grout, plus sanding fiberglass is certainly not something a non-professional should attempt. As for tiling over existing tile, I would be very concerned about the weight on the wall, and the water compromise of putting screws through the tile to attach the schluter. Just my two cents worth.

• Melody

How easy is it to clean around the edges where water would collect along with soapy residue?

• Kim Hotchkiss
    17 hours ago

I have ugly small tile on my bathroom floor, can you tile over that instead of busting out the existing tile??

• Debbie
      31 minutes ago

I did tile over tile on the shower floor but on a room floor there will be issues with transitions between rooms and door heights and plumbing issues.