DIY Back Door Refresh

$30

The back wall of our house has always been pretty dull. We recently gave our back door a makeover with a quick coat of paint, and it makes an incredible difference! Here are some quick tips on painting exterior doors - if you love this project, you can see more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations.
diy back door refresh
Here's the before - our door wasn't in terrible shape, just boring! We decided to paint both the interior and the exterior of this door black - we wanted a high-contrast color since the walls are light and there wasn't much happening along this wall.

TIP: Consider the surrounding colors in the room and on the walls before you choose a color. If there is a lot of color in the room, you may want to stick to something simple like white or gray. If the room is very neutral, you can go more dramatic and choose a bright color!
diy back door refresh
My biggest tip for painting any door is to use a foam roller, an angled paintbrush, and a (affiliate link:) Handy Paint Pro Pail - it functions as both a paint cup for your brush and a paint tray for your small roller. It helps SO much and makes the job a lot easier.
diy back door refresh
If you're using a dark or dramatic color, you'll likely need upwards of 3 coats of paint. Less intense colors may only require 2 coats. I don't usually take the door off the hinges to paint exterior doors - I just make sure to choose a nice sunny day where it won't be an issue to leave my door partially open for most of the day. Use your roller to paint the majority of the door, then use your brush to get any hard-to-reach spots.
diy back door refresh
Painting an exterior door can seem really intimidating if it's something you haven't done before, but it doesn't need to be! This is a super simple project that should only take a few hours to knock out...
diy back door refresh
And the transformation speaks for itself - it's a huge difference, and the entire back half of our house feels much more finished now!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 19, 2018 10:19 PM - More info
Love & Renovations

• Leanne Johnson-Kotecki

When you said you were painting the inside black I thought you were a little crazy, but it looks beautiful!

• Jewell Martin

Very nice. I didn’t realize our patio door needed painting until I saw this. ☺️