Teri.jeffrey
Teri.jeffrey
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Port Richey, FL

Lanai Garden

$14

Home is a small condo with an even smaller lanai that doubles as my workshop / studio. Our condo association does not allow homeowners to plant outside their units but I still wanted to create a garden spot. What better place than in my work area.

Luckily, the lanai is enclosed but, in Florida, an enclosed lanai gets incredibly hot in the Summer. Good news is that I favor cacti and succulents that like
Shoe Rack Plant Stand
Shoe Rack Plant Stand
With limited space, I decided that a short, narrow plant stand would be ideal. It needed to be open to allow light to reach lower shelves. After thinking about ways to build it myself, I had one of those magical “ah-ha” moments...a shoe rack.

Bed Bath & Beyond to the rescue. The perfect wooden shoe rack for $14.99 - 20% off coupon.
Stain Away
Stain Away
The shoe rack was unfinished wood so a coat of Minwax PolyShade Stain gave it the color I wanted.

While the shoe rack had 3 total shelves, I used only the top & bottom ones because of the size of my existing pots.
Lanai Garden
Lanai Garden
I’m happy with my lanai garden space. In hindsight, if I had not had the existing pots and plants, I’d go with a large selection of smaller cacti.
Another View..Another Idea
Another View..Another Idea
Since I am planning a day trip to Florida Cactus Farm in Apopka, I’ll buy some small plants for the empty spots on my plant stand. Hmm, just noticed the blank concrete wall. Maybe I’ll hang some pots there also.