Furnish the Outdoors Challenge

29K Views
I love the outdoors and playing in the dirt. Therapy! This week’s challenge was to furnish the outdoors. Well, this challenge made me remember two chairs I recently found on the roadside. Yes, I brake for and usually stop for and pick-up roadside/curb treasures. I appreciate peeps who are kind enough to place unwanted items out to share instead of adding them to the land fields. Let me say “thank you“ to everyone who does this kind deed. The chippy teal chair was perfect just the way it was! No paint needed. What a sweet treasure! All I did was rinse the dirt off, let it dry and add a plant. I cut chicken wire to staple in the bottom of the chairs. However, the flower containers I used fit perfectly In both of them. I saved the chicken wire in case I decide to change out flower containers later.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
This is a picture of the chairs just as they were on the roadside. Love them! 💞
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
This is the blue chippy chair with a plant sitting in the opening. Oh so cute! ... And all I did was rinse the chair off, let it dry and add the plant and a 🇺🇸 and a small bunny figure on the front, left corner .
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
Now on to the other chair. First, I used a knife to cut out the remainder of the cane from the seat of the chair. Next, I washed the chair and let it dry.
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
Then I used a dry sponge brush and white chalk paint to paint the chair. I wanted the chair to look old and worn, so I just swiped the paint on not covering all of the wood completely.
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
I repeated the process on the back of the chair.
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
All finished with the painting. Now to add a plant. Before I began painting, I tried the flower container I was going to use in the opening. It too fix perfectly, so no chicken wire needed in this chair either. Oh wow! So easy.
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
Almost finished, plant is added. Now to arrange my two roadside treasures for outdoors display.
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
This is a picture of the final arrangement. It is on the side of the fence by the carport. A welcoming sight for friends and family as they enter our back door (back door guests are the best) or go onto our patio. A nice extension to our home. Furnishing the outdoors with old furniture and pretty flowers just makes me want to stay outdoors longer.
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
Honestly, this project was really quick and easy! Thankful for my find and for the kind peeps who placed them by the roadside. I knew when I saw the chairs on the roadside exactly what I would use them for, I had a vision. They (the chairs) did not disappoint. 😘
  • furnish the outdoors challenge
Any chair can work for this project, if you can cut out the bottom. I originally bought a chair, at a flea market, to use as a plant stand. The chair bottom is wood. My plan was to use a Sharpie to draw around a flower container and use a saw to cut out the hole. Paint the chair. Then staple chicken wire to the bottom. The chair is still in my stash. Who knows, I may use it for another flower display or create something totally different. Happy creating sweet friends!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 7, 2018 11:51 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.