How to Make Candlestick Holders From Old Spindles

$15

I picked up these old spindles at a flea market for next to nothing. I really loved the shape and immediately thought candlestick holders. They were pretty dirty and had some holes.
how to make candlestick holders from old spindles
We'll start with the big one because it really didn’t need much work except for a good cleaning.  It also already has a great base and is nice and solid. The one end was cracked a little bit, uneven and it was a bit tall so we took a little off each end using the chop saw. We’ll hang on to those scraps because they’ll come in handy later. Here it is after I wiped it down with soap and water and gave it a good sanding.
Once we had the right size, it was time to paint. I used homemade chalk paint with plaster of Paris and went with my go to white because it goes in any room and for any season.  I didn’t put the paint on really thick and even used some 120 and 220 sandpaper to distress it a little bit and get a worn look.  I love it!!

I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to find a candlestick holder this size and with this much detail for just $10. It was so worth the little time and paint it took to re-imagine this old spindle.

Easy peasy. The smaller one was a bit more work. This one needed some extra help. It was too narrow to stand on it’s own and definitely too long. We headed for the chop saw again and cut it in half.
This is where those scrap pieces come in that we cut off of the larger spindle.  I wanted to add some extra layers and definitely a base to each of them. I used the leftover pieces we cut off of the big one and some other pieces of MDF we had laying around.

I used the glue gun to attach the pieces together.
I eventually decided to add another layer at the top so it would be large enough to hold a normal candle. I also filled in some of the holes, cracks and joints with spackle before painting with the chalk paint. I actually layered the paint on these and started with a coat of blue and then green and finally white. I hit them with the sandpaper to bring out the layers and age them a bit.  Here’s how they came out…
Imperfect, layered, chalky goodness! I think these DIY candlestick holders are super cute and so unique. You can add as many layers and shapes as you want and paint them whatever color you want to match your decor. What a cool way to add some personality to your space that is budget friendly and takes no time at all.
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Karen Hurst

Did you fill the cracks? I didn't see anything about that.

• SHIRLEY

I also filled in some of the holes, cracks and joints with spackle before painting with the chalk paint. I actually layered the paint on these and started with a coat of blue and then green and finally white. I hit them with the sa

• DIana Willingham

you mentioned home made chalk paint and plaster of Paris. Did that give it a texture or was it a smooth paint cover? Im a rookie at this stuff so Im a little confused.

Love love the idea and would like to try it. Does the candle just sit flat on top or is there a circle cut out for the candle to sit in?

• Hi Diana! Yes, the chalk paint has a bit of texture to it but the spindles had so many layers of old paint it looks more layered. Plus the different coats of paint give it a layered look, too. The candles sit flat.

• Marc Erick

They are awesome! Can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing !

• Barbara Cook

We made something similar with my mom, in the 60's. We used the spindles from old railings around stairs and bought old wooden bowls, from thrift stores, to set the candle in. Back then, wooden bowls were used for salad. Once they cracked, they went to the thrift stores. Not sure if they're still available.