Welcome Pineapple Door Decor

$5

Pineapple Decor is found in many homes in the south and that’s especially true in Charleston. The traditions surrounding using pineapples to show hospitality are varied, but they all involve welcoming guests into our homes. Making a Welcome Pineapple Door Decor piece was a simple craft that took very little time and it’s a great alternative to a traditional door wreath.

I bought this wire pineapple at JoAnn Fabric & Craft several weeks ago. There was a display of them right at the front of the store and they were on sale for 50% off. I wasn’t sure what I would do with it, but since I love pineapple decor, I knew I could use it for something!

The wire pineapple was a little too plain, so I wanted to dress it up by using a backing. After looking through items I had on hand, I decided on using a piece of burlap for the top and a creamy colored laminated canvas sheet for the bottom. I placed the pineapple over the fabric and used a pencil to trace the shape. I cut out the shape and trimmed it down to fit behind the pineapple. I used Gorilla Clear Grip Glue to attach the fabric to the pineapple. It's waterproof, so it will be great for using this on our front door.

I used strips of narrow ribbon, one in gold and one in blue to add a bow. I tied off several strands of it around the wire in the center and then used more strips to tie a simple bow. I used more glue to attach the bow.

I liked the way it looked, but decided to add a "Welcome" plaque that I had on hand to it. It' also glued in place.
This is an easy craft to put together and it took less than 15 minutes from start to finish.  The burlap frayed a little, but I decided it makes it look more leafy! That, or maybe I decided I didn’t want to risk burning the metal pineapple frame by using a candle to stop the fraying. 

There is an old folk tale here that says that guests in your home should be greeted with a fresh pineapple. Once the pineapple begins to turn, the guests should know that they are about to overstay their welcome! 

I'm using this as a transitional wreath for late summer before I'm ready to put up a fall wreath.

• Wire Pineapple  (JoAnn Fabric and Crafts)
  • Laminated Canvas Sheets and Burlap  (Walmart)
  • Ribbon  (JoAnn Fabric and Crafts)

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd