DIY PVC Pipe People

$20

If you know me, you know I love creating and making things out of PVC pipe. I've made many different birds and also a few other new animals like a dog, cat and frog. They are so much fun to make and are a great item to sell at craft fairs, farmers markets, etc.

But I've got another new PVC pipe project to share with you - our PVC people! The best part about these little guys is that you can customize them however you want. My favorite one is the little girl pictured here and one where I painted a Packers "G" on a shirt.
diy pvc pipe people
*When using any tools or chemical products, always use caution and follow your manufacturers directions. I like to do this entire project outdoors so I have plenty of room to work and a well ventilated area.

Start by creating a pattern and tracing it onto your 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe. This is by far, the most frustrating and time consuming part. I wasted so much time and just as much PVC cutting out a pattern that was not even close to be proportionate.

You can save yourself all the time and frustration and head on over to my blog and find my exact patterns. You can also find all 16 pvc pipe patterns that I have available including all my birds, cat, dog and more.

Once you have it all traced, use your jig saw to cut out your entire pattern.
diy pvc pipe people
When your pattern is cut out it's time to clean it up a bit. Use a file or some sandpaper to smooth out all the rough edges from the jig saw. I also used my little sander to remove the manufacturers ink that is printed on the pipe.
diy pvc pipe people
Next it's time to start shaping your little person. I started with the legs first because it made it easier to hold onto the person and make it sit still

Use your heat gun to heat up the top portion of your little guys legs until they begin to heat up and become pliable. Please use caution when using your heat gun as they get extremely hot and can easily burn you. I recommend wearing gloves if this project or tool is new to you. I've been doing it long enough that I usually don't get my pipe hot enough to hurt me, just hot enough to make it pliable.

Once they are soft and bendable, bend your legs into position and hold them in place until they have completely cooled.
diy pvc pipe people
Then continue reshaping the rest of your little person. I started at the top and worked my way down.

The fun part is you can position their arms any way you want. Make him/her waving, praying, etc.
diy pvc pipe people
Once you have him/her shaped, it's time to paint. Use spray paint that is specifically for use on plastic.

For my little girl with more details, I used paint markers for the different details.

When you have your little person completely painted, give him/her a few coats of a clear acrylic spray sealer to protect the paint from the outdoor elements.

For my little girl, I gave her some bows with ribbon I had just to give her some more dimension and add to her cuteness.
diy pvc pipe people
Then they are ready to be displayed, given as gift or sold! They look absolutely adorable welcoming all our guests into our backyard.
diy pvc pipe people
Here's a picture of our finished pvc cat and dog. These are fun because you can paint them to look just like your pets!
diy pvc pipe people
And a photo of all of our birds that we've done.

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom