Mauri
Mauri
  • New Braunfels, TX

DIY Rustic Light-Up Christmas Sign

$15

Hi friends! My name is Mauri and I blog at TheAmericanPatriette.com where I share ideas for all things home to help women bring beauty into their homes and ultimately make them places to gather. This particular project has been the most popular tutorial on my blog to date.

I hope you love making it to bring some warmth, beauty, and a reminder of Truth into your home during the Christmas season! Here are the basic steps, but you can find the full details, including the specific materials I recommend, on my blog.

Here's the finished pro
diy rustic light up christmas sign
You'll get started with a pallet wood sign (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby), as well as the printable I created specifically for you to recreate this on your own. You can snag the free printable using a link on the tutorial post.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
You'll first mark on the sign and make impressions onto the wood for where you'll drill holes to insert Christmas lights.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
After you indicate where you want your lights in relation to the placement of text/stars on the sign, you'll drill the holes large enough for the lights to poke through from the back.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Next, you'll stain the wood. I talk about why I would recommend this particular stain in my blog post - it's my favorite stain to use for craft projects because it's water-based. It dries very quickly and cleans really easily.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
After the stain dries, you'll use an old paintbrush to give the sign an antiqued look by doing a dry brush effect.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Next, you'll chalk the back of the sign with regular blackboard chalk. You're chalking the back so you can transfer the lettering into the wood via tracing.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Press hard with a pen and trace the letters and stars onto the wood. They'll leave the chalk impression behind that you can then come in and fill in with a white paint marker.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
See how it traced so well onto the sign? Now you just have to fill in the letters and stars with the paint pen.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Color in all of the letters and stars using a chalk paint marker - I share the exact one I'd recommend and why in the blog post. I've tried a lot of white paint pens, and this particular brand has been the best!
diy rustic light up christmas sign
After you paint the letters and stars on, you'll wipe off the excess chalk dust.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Next, you'll insert the lights from the back of the sign and fill in all of the holes.
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Once you've inserted all of the lights, you're ready to turn it around and turn it on!
diy rustic light up christmas sign
Has such a lovely glow! You can learn a lot more about the specific steps, including dry times and material recommendations, on my blog!
diy rustic light up christmas sign
I hope you love making this project! Makes for a gorgeous piece of Christmas decor and a great homemade Christmas gift!
Mauri

• Cathy

I would love to make this and hang it on my porch! My question is, will it hold up to Wisconsin weather in December?

• Val

If you use polyurethane coat on all sides, it would last for sure. I made something like this and only use it inside the house. It's super cute, isn't it? She did a wonderful job.

• Sandra

Love it! Do the lights get hot inside the wood? Wondering about safety?

• Renee Butler

How many pens does it take to do all of the writing and stars?