How To Paint Amazing GOLD Dipped Furniture For The Win!

$100

Finding this small desk turned out to be just the right piece to try the gold dipped technique that I had been drooling over for so long. This makeover was done several years ago but I came across some old pics before I even knew about blogging and thought this was share worthy. So here is how this project went down!
I started this project in the usual fashion by cleaning and sanding any areas that are rough. Especially with this piece because of the metallic that I have planned on using. Metallics are not forgiving with a lumpy bumpy finish. It needs to be super smooth for the gold dipped look so I took my time with it.
After painting the besk, I did a bit of distressing to allow the wood to peek through. The look I was going for was worn on the top and new on the bottom.
After painting the desk, I did a bit of distressing to allow the wood to peek through with my 220 grit sandpaper. The look I was going for was worn on the top and new on the bottom. I wiped off the excess dust and applied a top coat to seal the chalk mineral based paint.
After taping off the lower portion of the desk, I began by spraying the first coat of the metallic gold on the desk. Immediately I realized I needed extra protection from the over spray. I covered the whole desk in news paper securing it to the painters tape. I don't spray paint often so this was a good lesson for me. That stuff floated everywhere! Three super light coats later and I had a flawless gold dipped desk. The hardware was also spray metallic gold to match.
The trick to a flawless finish is to spray very light coats and allow complete drying between coats. Rushing this process will result in runs in your metallic paint. No bueno!
I also painted a matching chair in the same fashion.
I hope you have enjoyed this modern makeover. It was so fun and I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this technique again. Happy painting!

xo, Do

Donna | Do Dodson Designs

• Christine Lawson

Ever spray painted my furniture before.

did it look ok with the brushed on buttercream? Was the same paint used for base coat and top coat?

christine x

• Melinda Brown Inglesby

The buttercream was brushed on over the entire desk, then the gold was sprayed on at the bottom. Then the topcoat (aka sealer) was brushed over the whole desk.

• Jane Fisher McRoberts

That looks wonderful!!! Great job

• Mary

I think the desk and chair are adorable. Is a reason you didn't do the bottom part of thechair legs?